Yes, your solution is correct. Good job!

In summary, the conversation discusses evaluating the residue of a complex function $f(z)=\frac{e^{-2z}}{(z+1)^2}$ at $z=-1$. The solution involves taking the limit of the derivative of the function and applying a formula for poles of order $n$, resulting in a residue of $2e^2$. The conversation also mentions a classic way to check the solution by evaluating the Laurent series of the function.
aruwin
Hello.
Can someone check if I got the answer right?

$f(z)=\frac{e^{-2z}}{(z+1)^2}$

My solution:

$$Resf(z)_{|z=-1|}=\lim_{{z}\to{-1}}\frac{d}{dz}((z+1)^2\frac{e^{-2z}}{(z+1)^2})$$

$$\lim_{{z}\to{-1}}-2e^{-2z}=-2e^{2}$$

Physics news on Phys.org
aruwin said:
Hello.
Can someone check if I got the answer right?

My solution:

$$Resf(z)_{|z=-1|}=\lim_{{z}\to{-1}}\frac{d}{dz}((z+1)^2\frac{e^{-2z}}{(z+1)^2})$$

$$\lim_{{z}\to{-1}}-2e^{-2z}=-2e^{2}$$

You are right!... in general for a pole of order n z=a is...

$\displaystyle \text{Res}_{z=a}\ f(z) = \frac{1}{(n-1)!}\ \lim_{z \rightarrow a} \frac{d^{n-1}}{d z^{n-1}}\ \{(z-a)^{n}\ f(z)\}\ (1)$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

There's always the classic way to do it/check your solution, though : We want to evaluate the Laurent series of

$$\frac{\exp(-2z)}{(1 + z)^2}$$

At $z = -1$. Substituting $1 + z = t$ gives

$$\frac{\exp(2 - 2t)}{t^2} = \frac{e^2}{t^2} \cdot \left ( 1 - 2 \cdot t + 2 t^2 + \mathcal{O}(t^3) \right )= \frac{e^2}{t^2} - \frac{2e^2}{t} + 2e^2 + \mathcal{O}(t) $$

Thus, the residue of the expression (which is the coefficient of $t^{-1}$ in the Laurent series) at $z = -1$ is $2e^2$.

Last edited:

Related to Yes, your solution is correct. Good job!

1. What does it mean when someone says "Yes, your solution is correct. Good job!"?

It means that the person believes your solution to be accurate and well-done.

2. How can I be sure that my solution is correct?

You can verify your solution by double-checking your work and making sure it aligns with the given criteria or guidelines. You can also ask a colleague or mentor to review your solution for any errors.

3. What should I do if my solution is incorrect?

If your solution is incorrect, you can try to identify where you went wrong and make necessary adjustments. You can also seek help from others or do additional research to find the correct solution.

4. Is it important to receive confirmation that my solution is correct?

While it is always nice to receive confirmation that your solution is correct, the most important aspect is that you understand and are confident in your solution. If you have doubts about the correctness of your solution, it may be beneficial to seek feedback or clarification.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills to ensure my solutions are correct?

You can improve your problem-solving skills by practicing regularly, seeking feedback from others, and continuously learning and applying new techniques and strategies. It is also helpful to break down problems into smaller, manageable steps and approach them systematically.