You could get to the speed of light. If you could synthesise gravity

In summary: What do you think?In summary, if you could project a gravitational distortion from a vehicle in the direction you wanted to go, then being pulled by the distortion, you would theoretically accelerate continuosly until you shut the distortion off. Either reaching the speed of light or actually breaking it, that is if its possible to break the speed of light.
sshort75
If you could project a gravitational distortion from a vehicle in the direction you wanted to go. Then being pulled by the distortion,you would theoretically accelerate continuosly until you shut the distortion off. Either reaching the speed of light or actually breaking it,that is if its possible to break the speed of light.
Of course since we really don't know how gravity really works other than it just does, but if it does work by gravitons then it would seem feasible that these particles could be synthesised.
Also as a side note I did come up with this if somebody else has already said this, I'm sorry and I did search for it on this forum.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
sshort75 said:
If you could project a gravitational distortion from a vehicle in the direction you wanted to go. Then being pulled by the distortion,you would theoretically accelerate continuosly until you shut the distortion off. Either reaching the speed of light or actually breaking it,that is if its possible to break the speed of light.
Of course since we really don't know how gravity really works other than it just does, but if it does work by gravitons then it would seem feasible that these particles could be synthesised.
Also as a side note I did come up with this if somebody else has already said this, I'm sorry and I did search for it on this forum.

That's the stuff of science fiction.

In the real universe, a gravitational field is always caused by a mass and momentum is locally conserved. That means that if you had some means of pulling something along using gravity, you'd need more energy to push the gravitational source along than you'd need to pull that something directly, and you'd need some conventional method of propulsion to do the pulling.

Even if you use gravity to pull something, you can't pull it "faster than light", merely closer to the speed of light.

Thankyou for the replies, I was just thinking and appreciate the correction. Also thankyou for the link. There is one point where I was misunderstood or didn't explain myself well enough. When I said projected I meant let's say you had, hypothetically of course, 3 of these "gravity generators" that were all pointed at a single spot and the reaction of whatever their emitting at this point caused a gravitational field so there would be no force holding the ship from the field and the field attracts the ship however in doing so this would also move the field not because it is being pushed but because the point, where the reaction of my hypothetical generators beams or waves or whatever, has changed. Also in staying with Jonathon Scott said about Mass and momentum causing gravity, does that leave the chance, if it couldn't be synthesised, Is there anything to say that existing gravity can't be redirected?

Wow your link gave me a lot of different links to look at. I just came up with this because I was pondering the question while I was laid up with a leg injury, I had no idea people and lot better minds were looking into this sort of thing for over 50 years. I just thought if we were really going to travel to the stars that we probably wouldn't be able to use propulsion and we needed to think of something else. This gravity thing was the best I could come up with. I also figure that the princinple for interstellar travel probably isn't that complex, although the nuts and bolts and mechanics of making it happen might be. Also if hypothetically we have been visited by UFO's and any of the accounts are accurate these things would blow holes in the Earth when they take off so taking that into account I came up with this theory.
I did read the whole article but I did more reading on other sources, and I did read another source that said the Biefield Brown effect didn't work in a vaccum. That it was the ionized wind that accounted for effect but that doesn't mean that gravity waves can't be redirected.

Related to You could get to the speed of light. If you could synthesise gravity

1. How can we get to the speed of light?

Currently, it is not possible for any object with mass to reach the speed of light. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases infinitely and it would require an infinite amount of energy to accelerate it further. However, scientists are continuously researching and exploring ways to potentially achieve near-light speed travel in the future.

2. What is the significance of reaching the speed of light?

Reaching the speed of light would have significant implications for space travel and exploration. It would allow us to cover vast distances in a relatively short amount of time, making interstellar travel more feasible. It could also open up possibilities for time travel and enable us to study the universe in ways that are currently impossible.

3. How could gravity be synthesized?

Synthesizing gravity, or artificially creating the force of gravity, is a concept that is currently only theoretical. Some scientists believe it may be possible through advanced technology, such as manipulating the fabric of space-time or creating gravitational fields. However, more research and understanding of gravity is needed before we can fully understand and potentially create it.

4. What are the potential benefits of synthesizing gravity?

If gravity could be synthesized, it could have numerous benefits, such as creating artificial gravity on space stations or spacecraft, allowing for easier and more efficient space travel, and potentially even aiding in the development of advanced technologies. It could also help us better understand and potentially manipulate the universe around us.

5. Are there any risks or consequences to achieving the speed of light or synthesizing gravity?

There are potential risks and consequences to both achieving the speed of light and synthesizing gravity. Reaching near-light speed could have unforeseen effects on the human body, and creating artificial gravity could potentially have unintended consequences on the environment. It is important for scientists to thoroughly study and understand the potential risks before pursuing these technologies.