Young modulus (deriving formula)

In summary: The gradient has units of length/force. The area has units of length squared. The L cancels with one of the length units in the gradient, and the other length unit combines with the area to give you the correct units for E. In summary, the relationship between the Young modulus E, stress σ, and strain ε is given by the equation E = L/(A*gradient). This can be confirmed by checking the units and plotting a graph of ΔL against F, which will have a slope of L/AE. The textbook's equation of E = L(A*gradient) is incorrect.
coconut62
Quoted from my book:
"The graph of ΔL against F has gradient L/EA, so the Young modulus E is equal to L(A x gradient)."

E is (stress/strain).

I don't understand that sentence. If I substitute the gradient into E= L(A x gradient), then

E= L(A)(L/EA)

E= L(L/E)

E= L^2 /E

E square = L square?

This doesn't seem to make sense. Can someone explain to me please?

Physics news on Phys.org
coconut62 said:
Quoted from my book:
"The graph of ΔL against F has gradient L/EA, so the Young modulus E is equal to L(A x gradient)."

The last expression here is incorrect. If the gradient equals L/(EA), then what would be the correct expression for E in terms of L, A, and the gradient?

The stress σ is equal to the force per unit area F/A.

σ=F/A

The strain ε is equal to ΔL/L:

ε =ΔL/L

The stress is equal to the strain times Young's modulus:

σ = E ε

If we eliminate the stress σ and the strain ε from these equations, we get

[tex]\Delta L=(\frac{L}{AE})F[/tex]

If you plot a graph of ΔL versus F, you will get a straight line through the origin with a slope (gradient) of L/AE. So E will be equal to L/A divided by the slope.

So does that mean the textbook is wrong?

E is supposed to be L/A(gradient) instead of L(A x gradient) ?

Yes. That's right. E = L/(A*gradient). Both A and the gradient are in the denominator.

coconut62 said:
So does that mean the textbook is wrong?

E is supposed to be L/A(gradient) instead of L(A x gradient) ?

I have trouble understanding your rendition of the algebra. The L is in the numerator, the A is in the denominator, and the gradient is in the denominator. E = L/(A x gradient). Is this what your textbook says?

No, my textbook doesn't have the "/" , just L (Ax gradient).

So the actual equation is E= L/(A*gradient), correct?

coconut62 said:
No, my textbook doesn't have the "/" , just L (Ax gradient).

So the actual equation is E= L/(A*gradient), correct?

Do you honestly feel that you need to ask me this question? What does your knowledge of algebra tell you? Another way of figuring out which result is correct is to check the units. The units of E have to be force per unit area.

Related to Young modulus (deriving formula)

What is Young's modulus and what does it measure?

Young's modulus, also known as the modulus of elasticity, is a material property that measures how much a material can stretch or compress when a force is applied to it. It is a measure of the material's stiffness or resistance to deformation.

How is Young's modulus derived?

Young's modulus is derived using a formula that relates the stress (force per unit area) applied to a material to the resulting strain (change in length per unit length) of the material. The formula is E = σ/ε, where E is Young's modulus, σ is stress, and ε is strain.

What is the significance of Young's modulus in materials science?

Young's modulus is an important property in materials science, as it helps engineers and scientists understand and predict how a material will behave under different types of stress. It also allows for the comparison of different materials and their potential uses in various applications.

What are the units of Young's modulus?

Young's modulus is typically measured in units of pressure, such as pascals (Pa) or pounds per square inch (psi). In the SI system, the units are N/m^2, but it can also be measured in other units such as GPa or MPa.

How does temperature affect Young's modulus?

Young's modulus is affected by temperature, as changes in temperature can cause changes in the atomic structure and bonding of a material. In general, as temperature increases, Young's modulus decreases. This is known as thermal expansion and can be a important consideration in engineering and material design.