Our Beautiful Universe - Photos and Videos

In summary: I love it and the clip finishes with a great quote:In summary, these threads are all about the beauty and awesomeness of our Universe. If you feel like it, please share video clips and photos (or nice animations) of space and objects in space in this thread. Your posts, clips and photos may by all means include scientific information; that does not make it less beautiful to me (n.b. the posts must of course comply with the PF guidelines, i.e. regarding science, only mainstream science is allowed, fringe/pseudoscience is not allowed).
Hello, it is very interesting. Please what is for example apparent magnitude and arc size of this nebula :smile: :thumbup: :smile:
Thanks

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Preliminary M51 stack, 58m integration time; there are about 10 NGC objects in the full field of view:

M51-54m-2.jpg

M51-54m-1.jpg

Again, the hue/chromatic problems I used to have with DSS are largely resolved in APP (not an endorsement). What is odd, there remains a large-scale blue-red gradient (red in the center, blue at the edge) in the flat-corrected stack, indicating a real phenomena and not an algorithm quirk. I suspect it's because I'm using a LCD (monitor) for the flats; the LCD display color temperature is not the same as the night sky.

davenn said:
Good image, but so faint for 78 minutes. I still can't figure out why your long exp. images are all quite faint.
At that length of exposure time, regardless of if it's a bunch of stacked images or a single image should be blasting off the screen

here's 21.5 minutes made up of 30 sec exposures 44 lights, 9 darks

Yeah, I know. I'm going to plead a combination of 'ignorance' and 'non-optimized' b/c I'm using a new stacking program.

Likes davenn
Andy Resnick said:
Yeah, I know. I'm going to plead a combination of 'ignorance' and 'non-optimized' b/c I'm using a new stacking program.
OK :smile: My processing skills need to be improved as well. Wish I could process images the way
others do

Ohhh just had the other thought ... are you still only doing just 1 sec exposures ?

davenn said:
Ohhh just had the other thought ... are you still only doing just 1 sec exposures ?

Heh... nope, I've progressed all the way to 8 second exposures :) Well, depending on the declination- I can go up to 15 seconds for M51/M101 and still get a reasonable fraction of stackable images.

Likes davenn
Hi, these two moons I think is not bad :smile:

Attachments

• 0014C.jpg
    0014C.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 111
  • 0001C.jpg
    0001C.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 99
Likes davenn and Andy Resnick
Thank you... :smile:

Likes davenn
Thank you:smile:

Hello,
I attached still one moon image -moore saturated :smile:

Attachments

• 0007C.jpg
    0007C.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 95
bruha said:
Hello,
I attached still one moon image -moore saturated :smile:
Better and better. Single image?

bruha said:
Hi, these two moons I think is not bad :smile:
Theophilus is striking. Focus is very good. These are afocal images? Plossl 12mm?

Andy Resnick said:
How long were your subs?Edit:
Nevermind. 8 sec. I see.

Andy Resnick said:
Heh... nope, I've progressed all the way to 8 second exposures :) Well, depending on the declination- I can go up to 15 seconds for M51/M101 and still get a reasonable fraction of stackable images.
Your images are not tracked?

Andy Resnick said:
What is odd, there remains a large-scale blue-red gradient (red in the center, blue at the edge) in the flat-corrected stack, indicating a real phenomena and not an algorithm quirk. I suspect it's because I'm using a LCD (monitor) for the flats; the LCD display color temperature is not the same as the night sky.
You are setting your LCD to white and taking your lights that way? What would happen if you imported that flat into Adobe and removed the color info?

chemisttree said:
I don't know what you mean by 'tracked'?

chemisttree said:
You are setting your LCD to white and taking your lights that way? What would happen if you imported that flat into Adobe and removed the color info?

I made some progress- the white balance of my flat source (the LCD) is not the same as the (streelight polluted) night sky- I took another set of flats 'red shifting' the color and that reduced the problem significantly.

Thank you,
yes its single image ( I have not possibility with my sony compact to make automatic sequence..)

:)

Likes chemisttree
:smile:

Andy Resnick said:
I don't know what you mean by 'tracked'?

That means the telescope is tracking the stars/object

chemisttree said:

davenn said:
That means the telescope is tracking the stars/object
Oh... I assumed it was obvious- there's no way to acquire an 8-second exposure without it (well, except for Polaris...). I don't have an auto-guider.

Likes davenn
Hello, I send two older images Jupiter with some months (little fuzzy) :confused:

Attachments

• J2.JPG
    J2.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 84
  • J3.JPG
    J3.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 80
Likes davenn
ISS flyover, 4/2/20 9:15pm. 1/1600s 800/5.6 ISO1250:

Montage.jpg

Definitely best images yet.
Edit: I figured out how to post the 'video':

Stack-1.gif

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Wow
Likes Borg, davenn, Bystander and 2 others
Andy Resnick said:

Sweet :partytime:

Venus and M45 the Pleiades Cluster
04 Apr. 2020. 0830UT (1930 AEDT)
Canon 6D 40th sec, 100mm, ISO2400
From Sydney, Australia

IMG_1446ssm.jpg

• Love
Likes berkeman and Borg
Hi its very interesting, ( I quess as its opposite to northern sky, Aldeberan is in direction upper right ? - as I could track pleiades by help of Venus...)

Two moon imges.. not sure if better is colour or B/W...

Hi and lot of succes :smile:

Attachments

• 0001RC.jpg
    0001RC.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 93
  • 0001R.jpg
    0001R.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 71
Likes DennisN and davenn
bruha said:
I quess as its opposite to northern sky,

Yes it is

bruha said:
Aldebaran is in direction upper right ?

for me, yes, some distance off the upper right corner of the image

last nite's pic
05 Apr. 2020 Venus and Pleiades from home
West Ryde, NSW, Australia
Canon 6D, 1/5 sec exp, f5.6, 400mm, ISO 4000
IMG_1465ssm.jpg
cheers
Dave

Hi, thank you , I send moon image from yesterday (we have almost full moon now)... :smile: :smile: :smile:

Attachments

• 0060CCCCD.jpg
    0060CCCCD.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 84
Likes DennisN and davenn
Hi, I attach Venus image from yesterday... (proc. by GIMP) , its not very satisfying.. :frown: have you somebody some Venus images..?:frown:
Hi and lot of succes...

Attachments

• VenC.jpg
    VenC.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 71
Andy Resnick said:

View attachment 259946

View attachment 259948
Ah, so an alt-az mount you have!

chemisttree said:
Ah, so an alt-az mount you have!

My non-motorized tripod has a gimbal mount, yes. My motorized tripod (astrophotography) is a Losmandy GM-8 German Equatorial mount. The only real trick is that the non-motorized tripod can be arranged to allow the lens to point directly toward zenith- there used to be a pic on the web, can't find it now.

My mistake. Looked a lot like frame rotation to me.

chemisttree said:

My ISS video does indeed have frame rotation! As the camera slews, the relative orientation between the camera and object rotates (the gimbal acts as an Az-El mount). The lens has a adjustment allowing rotation with respect to the tripod, but when ISS is moving there's no time to fiddle around with stuff like that.

chemisttree said:
You do realize that the ISS is constantly turning ? :smile:

Hi, here is my last Venus image from yesterday...original and saturated image -, I quess if this light spot on saturated image just below Venus could be some object (star)... :smile: :frown:

Attachments

• DSC03220G1-min.JPG
    DSC03220G1-min.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC03220G3-min.JPG
    DSC03220G3-min.JPG
    159 KB · Views: 74