Our Beautiful Universe - Photos and Videos

In summary: I love it and the clip finishes with a great quote:In summary, these threads are all about the beauty and awesomeness of our Universe. If you feel like it, please share video clips and photos (or nice animations) of space and objects in space in this thread. Your posts, clips and photos may by all means include scientific information; that does not make it less beautiful to me (n.b. the posts must of course comply with the PF guidelines, i.e. regarding science, only mainstream science is allowed, fringe/pseudoscience is not allowed).
  • #1,366
Hello, this one is probably better (cor. by Affinity photo instead Gimp... :smile: o_O )

Attachments

• Capture_00018 AF.jpg
    Capture_00018 AF.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 84
Likes DennisN and Drakkith
Astronomy news on Phys.org
  • #1,367
Hello, I attach some night images from little outside Prague by SV EBONY eyepiece camera:
Deneb, Jupiter,higher exp. Jupiter with some moons and Saturn .I was trying as well Nort America nebula near Deneb but no succes (although Deneb was quite bright and I think this Nebula with 4 ap. magnitude should be imaginable...) :frown: o_O

Attachments

• Deneb.jpg
    Deneb.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 84
  • Jupiter moonG.jpg
    Jupiter moonG.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 74
  • Jupiter.jpg
    Jupiter.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 73
  • Saturn2G.jpg
    Saturn2G.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 68
  • JupiterG.jpg
    JupiterG.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 67
  • Saturn2GB.jpg
    Saturn2GB.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 67
Likes collinsmark, Drakkith and DennisN
  • #1,368
Still one image from N.A.nebula supposed area... o_O o_O

Attachments

• Capture_00004.jpg
    Capture_00004.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 72
Likes Drakkith and DennisN
  • #1,369
Hello,
last days I was trying first JUp/Sat. images with new scope (Newton 1000 x 200 mm) and SV Ebony eyepiece Camera while I use: BF-blue filter SV Ebony UHC, Y, Y2-light-dark yellow filter, event. without+JUp. overexp. with moons.
Lot of succes :smile: :smile:

Attachments

• Capture_00001.jpg
    Capture_00001.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 69
  • Capture_00023 Y2.jpg
    Capture_00023 Y2.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 73
  • Capture_00028 BF.jpg
    Capture_00028 BF.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 73
  • Capture_00011 moons.jpg
    Capture_00011 moons.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 85
  • Capture_00016 bez B.jpg
    Capture_00016 bez B.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 73
  • Capture_00016 bez.jpg
    Capture_00016 bez.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 70
  • Capture_00050 Y.jpg
    Capture_00050 Y.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 72
  • Capture_00084 BF.jpg
    Capture_00084 BF.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 67
  • Capture_00084 BF2.jpg
    Capture_00084 BF2.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 68
  • Capture_00118 Y2.jpg
    Capture_00118 Y2.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 72
Likes Andy Resnick, collinsmark, DennisN and 2 others
  • #1,370
Flying on Mars (with sound in the second video). :smile:

First Video of NASA’s Ingenuity Mars Helicopter in Flight, Includes Takeoff and Landing (NASA JPL)
In this video captured by NASA’s Perseverance rover, the agency's Ingenuity Mars Helicopter took the first powered, controlled flight on another planet on April 19, 2021.
NASA’s Perseverance Rover Hears Ingenuity Mars Helicopter in Flight (NASA JPL)
On April 30, 2021, NASA’s Perseverance rover made history as the first spacecraft to record sounds from another spacecraft on another planet. During Ingenuity’s fourth flight, a microphone included with the SuperCam instrument aboard Perseverance captured the humming sound of the blades and the din of wind.

Likes Drakkith
  • #1,372
:) Genéve, I suppose

• #1,374
North America Nebula (NGC 7000), Pelican Nebula (IC 5067), and IC 5068 emission nebulae:
Pelican-mod-St copy.jpg

Nikon D810 + 400/2.8 lens, about 2 hrs @ ISO 64.

Likes berkeman, DennisN, chemisttree and 4 others
  • #1,375
Hello, it is beautiful image :) , recently I was trying as well to capture N.A. Nebulae (with SV Ebony eyepiece camera ) but with no succes. I attach my image evaluated by Astrometry.net- it resulting that I was really misplaced :confused: :confused: .-somewhere near Sadir.. ha ha o_Oo_O

Attachments

• Succes.jpeg
    Succes.jpeg
    24 KB · Views: 69
Likes DennisN, Keith_McClary and Drakkith
  • #1,376
Hello, I still attach combined (overexp with moons+standard) Jupiter image. :smile: o_O

Attachments

• jupiter.jpg
    jupiter.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 90
Likes collinsmark and DennisN
  • #1,377
Sun… Smoke filter courtesy Dixie Fire in Northern California. iPhone 11.

3286C2EE-6D34-42B0-A995-41837CA247C0.jpeg

4DBD17AC-3B61-427B-B815-F33DE1267197.jpeg

Likes davenn, DennisN and Andy Resnick
  • #1,378
:thumbup: :smile:

• #1,379
EB3664B8-4D99-4C04-BAC5-8D544637DCA6.jpeg

Likes davenn, DennisN and collinsmark
  • #1,380
24mm, f/2.8, 400iso, 117sec, full frame sensor, single shot, bortle 2, shasta county, northern california, usa

https://www.speakev.com/attachments/bb7abeb1-f8a3-4ad0-975f-2109406abff3-jpeg.147788/

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Wow
Likes DennisN, davenn, TSny and 3 others
  • #1,381
Veil nebula, just barely fits into the frame @ 400/2.8, 5 hrs:
veil-St-20137s.tiff (RGB)-1.jpg

And the same image after removing the bright stars and renormalizing:

Result of veil-St-20137s.tiff (RGB)-2.jpg

Likes DennisN and Devin-M
  • #1,382
NGC 6819 (in Cygnus), 1.5 hrs integration @ ISO 64 w/ 400/2.8 lens. Full frame:
NGC_6819-mod-St-5840s.tiff (RGB).jpg

and a 200% crop of the central region:

NGC_6819-mod-St-5840s.tiff (RGB)-3.jpg

Likes berkeman, DennisN, Keith_McClary and 1 other person
  • #1,383
https://www.speakev.com/attachments/img-0939-gif.147805/

• Wow
  • Love
Likes TSny, DennisN, berkeman and 2 others
  • #1,384
A nice report on CBS 60 Minutes about the Ingenuity helicopter and the search for life on Mars, including short interviews with some engineers and scientists:

Perseverance rover, Ingenuity helicopter, and the search for ancient life on Mars (CBS 60 Minutes)
"Anderson Cooper reports on the nerve-wracking Mars landing of the rover Perseverance, the painstaking process of launching the tiny helicopter Ingenuity, and the extraordinary images the two have already sent back to Earth."

Likes collinsmark
  • #1,385
DennisN said:
A nice report on CBS 60 Minutes about the Ingenuity helicopter and the search for life on Mars, including short interviews with some engineers and scientists:

Perseverance rover, Ingenuity helicopter, and the search for ancient life on Mars (CBS 60 Minutes)
"Anderson Cooper reports on the nerve-wracking Mars landing of the rover Perseverance, the painstaking process of launching the tiny helicopter Ingenuity, and the extraordinary images the two have already sent back to Earth."

"Video unavailable
The uploader has not made this video available in your country."

• Informative
Likes DennisN
  • #1,386
Keith_McClary said:
The uploader has not made this video available in your country."
Yeah, it appears that @DennisN is a number of time zones ahead of us. :wink:

Likes DennisN
  • #1,387
Here's a portrait of my telescope attempting to image Saturn, a night or two ago, in spite of the neighborhood lights. (Image of Saturn to come -- more on that below.)

TelescopeActionShot_0.jpg

TelescopeActionShot_1.jpg

I've been victim to an unusual assault of various hardware failures recently on both my telescope and my main computer. Maybe it's the heat. I don't know, but many things seem to be falling apart lately.

Many of the various hardware/computer failures are affecting my ability to process that Saturn image. I've got about 2 terabytes of data that I have to sift through and process. I'm still making progress, but it's going slowly.

Likes Keith_McClary, Devin-M and DennisN
  • #1,388
collinsmark said:
Here's a portrait of my telescope
What a beast! :smile:
collinsmark said:
Many of the various hardware/computer failures are affecting my ability to process that Saturn image. I've got about 2 terabytes of data that I have to sift through and process. I'm still making progress, but it's going slowly.
I hope your luck turns! :smile:

Likes collinsmark
  • #1,389
A portion of Cygnus, showing NGC 6871, Sharpless 101 (Tulip nebula) and Cygnus X-1: full frame @ 400/2.8, about 4 hours @ ISO 64

g_cygni-St-41566s copy 2.jpg

And a 1:1 crop of Sharpless 101 (barely visible at bottom) and Cygnus X-1 (w/arrow). I probably need another 20+ hours to really pull out the nebula and hopefully start to visualize the black hole's bow shock (https://www.astrobin.com/355681/B/)

g_cygni-St-41566s copy 3.jpg

• Informative
Likes Keith_McClary, collinsmark, DennisN and 1 other person
  • #1,390
Saturn reached opposition a couple of days ago. Now is a good time to observe it if you haven't already. Here is my photo/image, captured last Monday night:

2021_08_03_rgb-compose_02.jpg

Saturn at opposition, year 2021.

General comments:

The seeing conditions were not terrific, but they were at least "good." As a matter of fact, San Diego hadn't had good conditions for astronomy for about a month. So the fact that seeing conditions were "good" at Saturn's opposition was good enough for me. Also, Saturn was a little lower in the sky compared to last year (due to where the ecliptic lines up). [Edit: nevermind about the altitude.] All that, combined with hardware failures involving the telescope and computers processing the data, I'll call the image a success.

I'll keep trying in the coming weeks if I can find another night with good seeing.

Equipment:

Meade 10" LX200-ACF
Tele Vue 4x Powermate
ZWO Atmospheric Dispersion Corrector (ADC)
Astronomik RGB filters
ZWO filter wheel
ZWO ASI290 MM monochrome camera
Laptop connected to camera and telescope running FireCapture software.

Total exposure time: 36 minutes
Midpoint timestamp: 2021-08-03 0809.2 UT.

Processing:

SER video files were processed with Autostakkert! software. Nine, 4-minute contiguous videos were ultimately chosen, three with the Red filter, three with the Green filter, and three with the Blue filter, for a total exposure time of 36 minutes. (Note: if you're using this as a guide and you have a big telescope, 36 minutes is way too long to capture any non-banded weather detail on Saturn. I sacrificed the possibility of that [not that I could capture it anyway with my telescope] in order to get more data to increase the signal to noise ratio [SNR]).

The R, G, and B images were then individually sharpened using Registax.

The images were then combined into their respective color channels in Gimp, where final adjustments were made.

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes DennisN, bruha, Devin-M and 2 others
  • #1,391
Devin-M said:
(Milky Way animation)
Gorgeous animation!
Andy Resnick said:
I probably need another 20+ hours to really pull out the nebula and hopefully start to visualize the black hole's bow shock
That sounds cool, I wish you good luck!
collinsmark said:
Saturn reached opposition a couple of days ago. Now is a good time to observe it if you haven't already. Here is my photo/image, captured last Monday night
Very beautiful, and inspiring!

• #1,392
Ultralazy astrophotography:

A couple of nights ago I had planned to photograph Jupiter and Saturn with my mirrorless camera attached to my cheap scope, but when I unpacked the T-mount adapter I could not fit it to the camera. :biggrin:
Somehow I had bought the wrong adapter, so I will get a new one.

As consolation, I very lazily photographed Saturn from indoors, through a window, using only my Sony A6000 camera and my vintage Tokina 400mm tele lens, to see if it worked.

It did!

But Saturn was very small of course, and the cropped photo below has a very low resolution.
But it was fun to see that it actually worked.
(I also had to edit out a window reflection of Saturn in the original photo :smile:)

Photo info: 1/100s shutter speed, ISO 1600, 11 stacked photos.
1a - Selec_g8_ap3_conv_m2.jpg

Likes Andy Resnick, collinsmark and Bystander
  • #1,393
Here's another take on the Saturn at opposition, year 2021 image. It's from the same raw data as the image in my last post, but this time with more aggressive Registax wavelet sharpening. I think I like this one better.

2021-08-0813_2_rgb-compose_AggressiveSharpening.jpg

I've also inserted a thumbnail, if you prefer to view the image that way.
2021-08-0813_2_rgb-compose_AggressiveSharpening.jpg

As long as I'm posting, let me relate the hardware troubles I've had lately, and add a little commentary about lucky imaging techniques.

I'll start with the "lucky imaging." Lucky imaging takes a stupid amount of data. And by "stupid," I don't mean dumb. I mean "mind numbing," as in lucky imaging takes a mind numbing, ridiculous, unholy, stupid amount of hard-drive space.

The idea behind lucky imaging is to gather data as fast as humanly possible (well, as fast as the camera and computer combination is capable of gathering it). Then later when processing, ignore some of the "bad" frames -- maybe half of the total -- and still have enough left over for the central limit theorem to do its thing when warping and stacking. And you'll find that some runs are simply better than others due to general atmospheric seeing conditions. So you'll want to take many runs, and then choose the best run.

As an example, for this Saturn image I imaged over two nights, taking between 5 and 7, 36 minute runs per night. I averaged over a terabyte of hard-drive space per night. All that data has to be processed, at least a little bit, in order to determine which runs are better than the other runs. But even after weeding out the bad runs, it still means that a given image starts out as hundreds of megabytes gigabytes of raw data.

It also means that if you're imaging multiple nights in a row, you need to get that data off the laptop's hard-drive (technically an SSD) from the first night, in order to make room for the second night, because that drive will fill up. Realize that you don't necessarily have the option to space out your imaging sessions, because the planets and the weather won't wait. Sometimes that data needs to be processed, or at least transferred, immediately.

And processing the data isn't instant. AtuoStakkert! is a great program, but it takes a while. It's good to have a fast desktop computer, if you can.

Getting back to my story, after packing up after the first night of imaging, I immediately plugged a hard-wired ethernet cable into my laptop to start transferring some of that data over to Clubber Lang (my main desktop computer). But it was taking a long time. Like a really long time. The transfer speeds were like one tenth the speed of even a wireless connection, and here my network equipment is wired and Gigabit speed capable. What the hell?

I spent much of that night and the next day (during daylight hours), processing as much as a could on the laptop (which wasn't that much), deleting the raw data once processed, and using a 256 GB USB flash drive to transfer the rest of the data to Clubber Lang. But remember: stupid amount of data. Each run took hours to write to the USB flash drive, and another 45 minutes for Clubber Lang to read it. A Stupid, unholy, godforsaken amount of data. I had to swap the USB drive back and forth about a good half-dozen times. And that coming night was the only decent weather forecast for the foreseeable future, so that data had to get off the laptop one way or another.

So I finally got the data off my laptop by evening, and fired up the telescope for the next night of imaging. But the telescope was frozen, and wouldn't respond to the hand controller key-presses. I suppose I could do all the control from the laptop, since that was connected to the telescope anyway, but I'm old-school like that and like to use the hand-controller. About a year ago, I noticed the hand-controller's cable was becoming a bit frayed, and I fortunately thought ahead and scrounged up a new RJ11 cord and kept it handy, just in case. That did the trick, thank goodness. (If you look at the picture of my telescope a few posts ago, you can see the old hand-controller cable on the table, to the lower right, behind the laptop.)

Then the telescope wouldn't acquire a GPS fix. I still don't know if that problem is temporary or permanent. It's not a showstopper though; I just punched in the time and my location manually. From there I was able to finish out the second night of imaging (the image of Saturn in this post is from that night).

----------------

Then comes the network debugging. Running some speed tests, I was able to narrow down the culprit to my desktop computer, Clubber Lang (the laptop and router were fine). The weird thing was, the hardware LEDs and even the drivers indicate that the network is working perfectly and at Gigabit speeds, and yet Clubber Lang's actual network speed is slow as molasses in January. As a debugging step, I also switched over to WiFi, and even the WiFi was slow. That lead me to the conclusion that it wasn't a bad connection, but rather something above the physical layer.

But both the WiFi and the Ethernet are controlled by the Intel Z390 chipset on the motherboard. Maybe that was it. I reinstalled the driver from my motherboard manufacturer (ASUS). No change. I installed another version of the driver directly from Intel. No change. I got on Amazon and rush-ordered a PCIe Network card because I was losing faith in the motherboard's networking capability.

I remembered I had a USB WiFi dongle that I was using for another computer. So I grabbed that and plugged it into Clubber Lang, heard the Windows USB enumeration tone, but then decided I should plug it into a different USB port and did so. But this time no Windows USB enumeration tone. Did I unplug the dongle when it was writing to its internal storage? Did I zap it some sort of electrostatic discharge? It's not clear. All I know for sure is I bricked the USB dongle then and there. 'Just my luck. That debugging step would have to wait until the new network card arrived.

A couple of months ago Clubber Lang had an SSD failure. I didn't lose any important data, but I did have to do a fresh install of Windows 10. Maybe that had something to do with it, and I just haven't noticed the slow network until now (The network still worked, it was just slow). But I had already gone through Windows 10 network settings with a fine-toothed comb, and didn't see anything suspicious. But I figured I should re-install Windows 10 again, and see if that helps. So I did, (keeping my apps and files though). Still no change.

A couple days later the PCIe network card arrived, so I installed that. Once again, no change. Even with the new network card, everything was still slow. So the problem had to be either Windows or something running on top of Windows.

So I went through every program that I installed (recall I had to reinstall everything a couple of months ago) and came across a program called "GameFirst V" It's a program that ASUS packages with it's motherboard, right along side the chipset driver and motherboard tools. I had installed it a couple months ago, when doing the fresh Windows 10 install, without giving it any thought. After a little research I found it has something to do with networking, so I uninstalled it and Voila! Glory be, my network was fast again! :oldlove:

But good god, ASUS, really?! Apparently the sole purpose of this program is to cripple the networking capability of any non-gaming application that runs on the computer, even if you're not gaming. And that's its default behavior. And when installed, the program starts automatically on startup. Are you freaking kidding me?! Gaaah! I'm pulling my hair out as I write this.:headbang:

So if you've read this far, and you're looking for some sort of moral to the story, it's to be careful what programs you install, even if they come with your motherboard.

(Oh, I forgot to mention, a Display Port cable is on the fritz too. I ordered a new one along with the PCIe network card.)

Summary of recent casualties:
  • 2 TB NVMe SSD
  • Telescope's hand-controller cord
  • Telescope's GPS functionality (maybe; this is still uncertain.)
  • USB WiFi dongle
  • Display Port cable
  • My sanity
  • Hair

Newfound benefits:
  • I now have a spare network adapter card, just in case.

Last edited:
Likes DennisN and Ibix
  • #1,394
collinsmark said:
And processing the data isn't instant. AtuoStakkert! is a great program, but it takes a while. It's good to have a fast desktop computer, if you can.
I just wanted to let you know there's a software called PIPP (Planetary Imaging PreProcessor), if you didn't know about it. It's a preprocessor (cropping etc.) that can be used to prepare the images/movies for stacking in e.g. AutoStakkert.

I'm actually going to buy a new computer soon (with a SSD harddrive), since my current, old computer has started to feel a bit sluggish.

Likes collinsmark
  • #1,395
By the way, purely by chance I stumbled across was seems to be cosmic ray artifact in one of the frames of Saturn's raw data (it's just in the one frame). I'm guessing it's a muon formed from a cosmic ray interaction in the upper atmosphere. At least I think it is; I'm not sure. I'm not sure what path it would take to get to the sensor. There's a lot of mirrors and glass that the light passes through. I'm guessing muons might take a different path. Could it be terrestrial based (maybe from some nearby rocks or something)?

I'm lead to believe these sorts of things are not too terribly unusual in astrophotography. But, then again, I'm not sure. Has anybody else caught a cosmic ray, or cosmic ray decay product, or maybe some other decay product in one of their subs?

2021-08-03-0757_1-R-Sat_Exposure=11.9ms_Gain=529(off)_F_00016876_Muon_annotated.png

Last edited:
  • #1,397
Devin-M said:
24mm, f/2.8, 400iso, 117sec, full frame sensor, single shot, bortle 2, shasta county, northern california, usa

https://www.speakev.com/attachments/bb7abeb1-f8a3-4ad0-975f-2109406abff3-jpeg.147788/
You captured the "Kiwi"
did you know that ?

Edit: ...I have to assume you know what a kiwi is ? :smile: Dave

• #1,398
davenn said:
I have to assume you know what a kiwi is ? :smile:
D74D6CCF-E43E-4358-A6EF-6F9019983173.jpeg
gettyimages-598311777.jpg

• Love
  • Haha
  • Informative
Likes collinsmark, davenn, Keith_McClary and 1 other person
  • #1,399
I suspect there’s at least 2 geostationary satellites visible in this animation (in addition to several low Earth orbit satellites).
97C48FA9-7678-47FF-9DDB-BFDBEF7CC061.jpeg

https://www.speakev.com/attachments/img-0939-gif.147805/

Likes collinsmark and Keith_McClary
  • #1,400
perhaps there’s 3…
5A39FE3E-587D-4699-826B-E7F2E2C70D72.jpeg

Likes Keith_McClary