Disney World PF Gathering and Tips for Disney Mania!

• Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date
In summary: This couscous and tagine restaurant is quite popular and usually has a long wait. Try coming at night when it’s less crowded.9. Yacht Club at the Epcot resort – This club has a beautiful view of the fireworks show at Epcot. However, this is a “resort” so it’s quite pricey. You may be able to get in if you call the club in advance and ask if there are any openings.10. The Living Seas – Usually there are long lines for this aquarium, but it’s worth the wait. You get to see all kinds of neat fish and amphibians.
  • #2,381
ZapperZ said:
More breaking news. Laughing Place is reporting that Pixar next movie after Ratatouille is going to be titled "W.A.L. - E". It is rumored to be a sci-fi adventure.
Sounds like a movie about walruses. A sci-fi walrus adventure, based on the super-secret spy organization W.A.L -- the Walrus Action League! Hey, it might be right...:rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,382
ZapperZ said:
The Share A Dream Come True parade at The Magic Kingdom is the 3 o'clock parade in the afternoon.
3 o'clock in the afternoon! :bugeye: I hope those glass bubbles are air-conditioned - nay, make that refrigerated. :rolleyes:

Ladies and Gentlemen, there is a ice-cream dish called THE KITCHEN SINK at Beaches and Cream ice cream store at the boardwalk at WDW. This thing is served in an actual kitchen sink. It has a scoop of EVERY flavor ice cream that the store has. It is then topped with every toppings that they have, including fudge, strawberries, caramel, pineapple, almonds, Oreos, and Snickers chunks. They then covered it with a WHOLE CAN of whipped cream and topped it with a bunch of cherries.
That could feed a small town!

• #2,383
ZapperZ said:
Do we still have Chip 'N Dale fans here? :)
Just because I've been too busy to reply doesn't mean I'm not reading along. :biggrin:

They're all cute, but I MUST have that 1971 one! Since my birthday is in October, and that's the year I was born, it would be really cool if I could get my paws on one of those in time to wear it for my birthday! :biggrin: Will that one only be sold at Disney World, or is there any hope I could get it through the online Disney store? That is if they release it early enough for me to get it by my birthday.

• #2,384
berkeman said:
Sounds like a movie about walruses. A sci-fi walrus adventure, based on the super-secret spy organization W.A.L -- the Walrus Action League! Hey, it might be right...:rolleyes:

Y'know, I wouldn't put it past them.

Except for The Incredibles, Pixar has produced movies where the main subject is non-human (Toy Story, A Bug's Life, Cars, Monsters Inc, Finding Nemo). So walruses? Why not?

We'll see if you're right in a couple of year.

Zz.

• #2,385
Moonbear said:
They're all cute, but I MUST have that 1971 one! Since my birthday is in October, and that's the year I was born, it would be really cool if I could get my paws on one of those in time to wear it for my birthday! :biggrin: Will that one only be sold at Disney World, or is there any hope I could get it through the online Disney store? That is if they release it early enough for me to get it by my birthday.

Usually the limited edition pins cannot be bought online anywhere (which is lucky for me or else I would have gone bankrupt).

However, as they sing in Wishes...

When you wish upon a star
Makes no difference who you are
Anything your heart desires
Will come to you...

So you should go wish upon a star tonight for that pin, Moonbie.

:)

Zz.

• #2,386
There is a...drunken version of that song in swedish :eek:

• #2,387
Mattara said:
There is a...drunken version of that song in swedish :eek:

Blasphemy!

Zz.

• #2,388
While Disneyland is winding down it's 50th Anniversary celebration, Tokyo DisneySea has just begun it's 5th year anniversary festivities. LP Lotion at Laughing Place has a terrific report (and pictures) of the new attractions and special events to celebrate this occassion.

http://www.laughingplace.com/Lotion-View-256.asp
http://www.laughingplace.com/Lotion-View-257.asp

Don't miss Part II of the report where there is a detailed description of the new show at Tokyo DisneySea titled The Legend of Mythica. From the description and the pictures, this looks spectacular! Why can't they bring that to Disney World?

Maybe this is a good reason to make a trip to Tokyo Disneyland... Hum..

Zz.

• #2,389
The Art of Restoring Disney

How cels and other unique Disney animation are brought back to life.

http://disney.go.com/inside/issues/stories/v060808.html

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #2,390
Year of a Million Dreams

As the Disneyland Golden Anniversary celebration winds down by the end of September 2006, Disney will be starting another year of celebration. That Golden anniversary thing went so well (it boosted attendence at Disneyland in 2005) that they are coming up with another "special occassion" to give people excuses to visit their theme parks.

This time, starting in Oct. 1 2006, the special celebration is called "Year of a Million Dreams". This is the latest press release from Disney on this event:

During 'Year of a Million Dreams' Celebration Disney Cast Members to Award a Million Magical Dreams

From an overnight stay inside Cinderella Castle to a Golden FASTPASS, dreams big and small will come true at Disneyland and Walt Disney World resorts during Disney's "Year of a Million Dreams," a first-of-its-kind celebration of the individual dreams of Disney Parks guests.

The year-long celebration, beginning Oct. 1, 2006, at Disneyland Resort in California and Walt Disney World Resort in Florida, will feature the debut of an incredible lineup of new attractions and entertainment at both Disneyland and Walt Disney World resorts, plus new technologies that allow guests to customize their Disney park experience.

And, for the first time, during the "Year of a Million Dreams" celebration, Disney cast members will award a million dreams -- both large and small, including many "money-can't-buy" experiences -- to guests selected through a random process as part of a unique "Disney Dreams Giveaway" promotion.

"Throughout this incredible celebration, special dreams and unique experiences once thought impossible will be awarded by our cast every day," said Jay Rasulo, chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. "Disney parks are always the place where dreams come true -- but even more so during the 'Year of a Million Dreams.'"

The "impossible" includes the creation of over-the-top, overnight experiences for winning guests at both East and West Coast resorts: a royal bedchamber inside Cinderella Castle at Walt Disney World Resort and a Mickey Mouse Penthouse at Disneyland Resort, both expected to be complete by January 2007.

A day of royal treatment will end with a night of enchantment inside Cinderella Castle for a different lucky guest each night. Cinderella's royal bedchamber, now under construction at Magic Kingdom, will allow Disney guests to stay overnight inside the park and enjoy a view shared only by Tinker Bell. The lavishly decorated bedroom will be located in a space originally planned as an in-park apartment for the use of the Disney family.

And for a lucky Disneyland guest, each night, the all-new Mickey Mouse Penthouse at Disneyland Hotel will pour on the Mickey charm and include magical views overlooking both Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure parks. The extraordinary penthouse will be decorated in all things Mickey, with finishing touches by none other than Minnie Mouse herself.

In addition, during the year-long celebration, other Disney dreams both large and small will be awarded in the "Disney Dreams Giveaway" promotion, such as:

* Traveling to each Disney resort around the world to serve as grand marshal in a Disney parade. * A variety of unique Disney vacation experiences. * Admission to special parties and other extraordinary experiences in the Disneyland and Walt Disney World parks. * Private meetings with favorite Disney characters. * Or, a Golden FASTPASS ticket with unique access entitlements to some of Disney's most popular attractions.

New Attractions and Entertainment Planned for the "Year of a Million Dreams"

Throughout the "Year of a Million Dreams" celebration, Disneyland and Walt Disney World resorts will debut major new attractions:

* Disneyland Resort in California

-- Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage -- Inspired by Disney -- Pixar's "Finding Nemo," this all-new E-ticket adventure will take guests on a real (and unbelievable) underwater excursion. (Summer 2007)

-- Rockin' Space Mountain -- Space Mountain is getting a new twist. Thanks to new lighting and technology, Disney's classic attraction will become a new experience in which rockets will rock it through the greatest concert in the universe. An all-new soundtrack will fit the exciting twists and turns of Disney's rocket classic. (Spring 2007)

* Walt Disney World Resort in Florida

-- "The Seas with Nemo & Friends" at Epcot -- Nemo is lost -- again -- and guests aboard "clam-mobiles" join his friends to search one of the world's largest saltwater aquariums for the playful clownfish in a stunning display of new entertainment technology inspired by Disney-Pixar's "Finding Nemo." (Late 2006)

-- "Finding Nemo-The Musical" at Disney's Animal Kingdom -- Also inspired by Disney-Pixar's "Finding Nemo," the Great Barrier Reef comes to colorful life in an all-new musical filled with spectacular scenery, elaborate puppetry and music by a Tony-Award-winning composer. (Late 2006)

-- The Laugh Floor Comedy Club at Magic Kingdom -- Guests find the power of laughter in an engaging and interactive new adventure inspired by Disney- Pixar's "Monsters, Inc." as they match wits with the one-eyed hero Mike Wazowski and his friends. (Early 2007)

Additionally, special entertainment and programs will be in place at the parks and resorts to accommodate the desires and wishes of would-be Disney Princesses, pirates, adventurers and space explorers. Guests will be able to customize their visit to a Disney park to pursue the "Dream Track" of their choice with on-line planning tools and in-park technology to help them become the hero or princess they've always dreamed of being.

For more information about the "Year of a Million Dreams" celebration and the "Disney Dreams Giveaway" promotion, visit http://www.mydisneyparks.com . Look for future announcements with the details of the "Disney Dreams Giveaway" promotion. No purchase necessary and subject to promotion official rules which will be available on Oct. 1, 2006. Odds of winning any prize will depend on the number of eligible entries. Void where prohibited.

Edit: Someone posted the promotional video that Disney has released to promote this. I must say, it doesn't look half bad.

[MEDIA=youtube]uX5Cjzsun1A[/MEDIA]&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fforums%2Ewdwmagic%2Ecom%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D81506[/URL]

Zz.

• #2,391
I sure hope that the resturation process goes well.

• #2,392
The Share A Dream Come True parade was officially replaced with Disney Dreams Come True parade yesterday (Aug. 10). The music is different, but the parade is similar to the old one, except for the missing snow globes.

There are already pictures AND videos of the parade.

http://www.laughingplace.com/Lotion-View-260.asp

I'll see if we can make a better video of it when we get there in early Sept.

Zz.

• #2,393
Cool...it seems to have more of a "retro" look to it. Besides, the snowglobes seemed to mostly highlight the princesses. This one looks like they have more of the full cast of Disney characters in it.

I can't wait until I have time to escape again and see it for myself! :biggrin:

• #2,394
Moonbear said:
Cool...it seems to have more of a "retro" look to it. Besides, the snowglobes seemed to mostly highlight the princesses. This one looks like they have more of the full cast of Disney characters in it.

Not only that, but on a hot, muggy day, those snowglobs can have quite a condensation problem, causing the characters to be fogged over. I have pictures showing just that below.

Zz.

P.S. If you look in the top picture, you'll notice that the top, curved surface of the snowglobe in the middle is fogged over, but the straight side isn't. I thought that was rather interesting when I first saw it.

Oooh.. an actual physics mystery at Disney World! Who would have thought of that?

IMG_1309.jpg

IMG_1313.jpg

Last edited:
  • #2,395
Hey, we haven't had a Disney trivia since we got back. So here's one.

This is one of my most favorite pictures that I've ever taken. It was shot right at the entrance to Main Street, USA, and has the Cinderella's Castle in the background. So the trivia question this time is, who is the person depicted in the bronze sculpture sitting next to Minnie?

IMG_3232.jpg

Zz.

• #2,396
Disney scored a rare unexpected hit at the Box Office this past weekend. The high school dance movie "Step Up" was the #2 movie this weekend, ahead of other more expensive movies. This was probably riding on the coattail of the delirious hit High School Musical on the Disney Channel.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movies/08/13/box.office.ap/index.html

Speaking of movies, has anyone seen the awful animation movie Barnyard? I know movies don't have to be that accurate, but honestly, either someone was completely asleep at the controls, or there are people who think the rest of the population are that dumb. Someone should tell these people who made the movie that there are no male cows!. There are bulls, but no male cows. Yet, in this movie, there are male cows, complete with udders! The only thing that differentiate the male cows from the female cows are the voices, and that female cows wear bows on their heads!

It's udderly ridiculous! [Oh, c'mon! You saw that coming from 10 miles away!] These are the details that a Pixar movie does not overlook.

Zz.

• #2,397
ZapperZ said:
Someone should tell these people who made the movie that there are no male cows!. There are bulls, but no male cows. Yet, in this movie, there are male cows, complete with udders! The only thing that differentiate the male cows from the female cows are the voices, and that female cows wear bows on their heads!
:smile: Okay, that's pretty sad. Maybe the entire animation team grew up in the big city. :rolleyes: Now I might have to see it just to laugh at the male cows. :smile: Or maybe it's just very progressive and they're actually transgendered cows. :biggrin:

At least one critic caught it too. :smile:
The character design is dead simple -- the cows look for all the world like 3-D versions of Gary Larson's stoic bovines from The Far Side -- but Barnyard's animation is slick as heck and pops off the screen. Strange thing is, it's never explained why all the boy cows have udders. Though I guess it's better than their having giant, swaying bull-parts down there.

http://jam.canoe.ca/Movies/Reviews/B/Barnyard/2006/08/04/1718437.html

Last edited:
  • #2,398
Moonbear said:
At least one critic caught it too. :smile:

There were people writing to Roger Ebert's website pointing this out when the movie first came out. So ordinary people like you and me (well, as "ordinary" as *I* can get) are noticing that too... and they would certainly notice that in the farmlands of America, if not the world. So one will wonder what the movie animators were thinking of! Did they think most of us either would not know, or that we won't care?

Gary Larson certainly would never be that biologically incorrect, because he prides himself in being accurate.

Zz.

• #2,399
So this is a rather "amusing" incident that occurred about 3 weeks ago while I was running a workshop in Lake Geneva, WI. The workshop was held at a rather posh resort called the Grand Geneva (it was formerly Hugh Heffner's Playboy Club). Our lodging was in one of the resorts' building called Timber Ridge. It was a terrific lodging area because the "standard" rooms are one-bedroom suites, with jacuzzi tubs and a full kitchen.

So anyway, since Lake Geneva was only 1 1/2 away from home, of course I drove my car there for the week. Now here comes the Disney connection. I have a mickey ear antenna topper for my car. It's not just any old antenna topper, but the golden anniversary one, very much like this (hopes the site allows the picture display here)

http://www.tennaballs.com/disney/images/MickeyGoldEars50thWalt.jpg

Of course, you can't buy this at any Disney stores since you can only get it at the parks (or online from people who have already bought them at the parks). So the topper is rather distinctive.

Now, I've driven my car everywhere in the city, and in the suburbs, with that antenna topper. I've parked on Chicago city streets, at strip malls, in parking garages... everywhere, and not once did someone stole it. However, after the 2nd night I parked in the parking lot at the Timber Ridge Resort at the Grand Geneva, I woke up one morning, walked to my car and went "Hey, I could have sworn I parked over here last night!", because I couldn't see, as I was walking, the antenna topper (I often use it to locate my car). As I got closer, I realize that, yes, I did park there, and that was my car, but my antenna topper was missing! Missing, at this fancy schmancy resort! Someone stole my Golden Celebration Mickey Antenna topper!

The interesting thing here was that, two cars away, there was a minivan with a mickey ears antenna topper as well, but it was one of those that you see very often, and you can buy at a Disney Store anywhere. I've seen the vehicle when I first checked into the resort 2 days earlier (I always notice vehicles with any disney toppers). So this vehicle that was close to mine, still had its topper.

So there I was, strangely not angry at all, but rather more amused than anything else. I was guessing that whoever took it, knew the significance of that topper and that it was hard to get. I certainly hope that he/she knew what he/she got.

So I went the rest of the week at the workshop "topperless". Luckily, I have several more of that antenna topper in stock at home (you didn't expect anything less, did you?). So as soon as I got home from the workshop, I put one back on it. This means that somewhere out there, someone is driving around with my antenna topper. Now, everytime I see the golden mickey ears topper on any vehicle, I smile. Since this topper has been released last year, I've only seen it on two vehicles driving on the expressway, so it is rare to find another one like that. I haven't encountered one since mine was stolen.

Next time I decide to visit Lake Geneva, I should put an RF ID chip on the topper. :)

Zz.

• #2,400
OK, so you thought that finding the Virgin Mary on wall stains or burnt toasts were bad. What about finding a Hidden Mickey in a cut avocado?!

http://www.thedisneyblog.com/tdb/2006/08/hidden_mickey_a.html

See it for yourself! :)

Zz.

• #2,401
Wow!

Last time I checked, this is still August, but this Friday, they're already starting to release Halloween pins at Disneyland. This is one of them.

http://eventservices.disney.go.com/files/10876006.jpg

Zz.

• #2,402
Aww...but you're right, it feels way too early for Halloween. Do they really dangle like it looks?

• #2,403
ZapperZ said:
There were people writing to Roger Ebert's website pointing this out when the movie first came out. So ordinary people like you and me (well, as "ordinary" as *I* can get) are noticing that too... and they would certainly notice that in the farmlands of America, if not the world. So one will wonder what the movie animators were thinking of! Did they think most of us either would not know, or that we won't care?

Gary Larson certainly would never be that biologically incorrect, because he prides himself in being accurate.

Zz.
Maybe as that critic put it, it really was to avoid having large, "swaying bull parts" there. :smile: But then, why not just leave the bulls with the neutered look? Could the animators really have been that clueless about cattle? All of them? I don't know about Pixar, but that would have never happened with Disney animation studios...they spent a lot of time studying the animals they were going to draw to really capture their characteristic behaviors and features.

• #2,404
Moonbear said:
Aww...but you're right, it feels way too early for Halloween. Do they really dangle like it looks?

Yeah, Chip and Dale are dangles, while the balance is hinged. So it sounds like a rather elaborate pin.

Zz.

• #2,405
Just ahead of my upcomming trip to WDW, there are the latest pictures from around that theme park.

http://www.laughingplace.com/Lotion-View-262.asp

Notice that the new ticket turnstiles are already being used, where instead of scanning two fingers, you now give the Mouse just one finger. :)

Ah oh, they're already starting to put up the lights for the Osborne spectacle of lights! I, unfortunately, won't be seeing it this year. <sob>

Zz.

• #2,406
OK, I was almost too ashamed to reveal that I found this ... almost!

I don't know what to make of this. It is either sick and demented, or silly, funny, and hilarious. Whatever it is, judge it for yourself. :)

http://mytrip.ytmnd.com/

Zz.

• #2,407
Oops!

The Disney pin website messed up again (that's twice already this month. How unusual!). This description is for a Lilo and Stitch pin that is part of the Disney Signature collection, but the picture is showing a Chip 'N Dale pin.

http://eventservices.disney.go.com/pintrading/pin?id=18453

I'm more interested in the Chip 'N Dale pin that is shown, but I cannot find any info on it.

Zz.

• #2,408
About a year before Disney began its celebration for Disneyland's 50th anniversary last year, they sent out letters and e-mail to their "loyal" guests, past and present, to send them pictures of them that they took at Disneyland. These pictures were going to be assembled into a collage and displayed during the celebration.

Unfortunately, since I've never been to Disneyland till this past June, I had no pictures to send to them (WDW pictures just won't do). It was the one thing I regret, because after being at Disneyland and seeing what they did with the pictures, I wish I could have sent them one. To say that these were just collages is an understatement. What they did was to assemble these pictures and someone and miraculously, produced astounding images!

I took several pictures of these collages. If you look very closely at each one of them, you'll see that they are all made up of pictures that were submitted. These collages, scattered all over Disneyland, were one of the most astounding part of my first visit to Disneyland.

Zz.

IMG_3134.jpg

IMG_3094.jpg

IMG_2936.jpg

• #2,409
OK, I'm not making this up. There is a site called "EverybodyNeeds2DrawMickeyOnce.com". You can already guess what that is all about. People submit their hand-drawn Mickey, and people vote on which ones they like best each week! Honest! :)

Humm... now that kinda gave me an idea for one of our PF Photo contest! :)

http://www.everybodyneeds2drawmickeyonce.com/

The most hilarious was this one:

http://www.everybodyneeds2drawmickeyonce.com/start.php?page=check&showDetail=yes&picID=19

I didn't realize Mickey had that many teeth!

Maybe I'll submit the picture of Mickey that I drew while at a Disney studio class during my last trip.

Zz.

• #2,410
Just remember, kids. A Disney kiss involves no tongue. If you do, you will be CGI'ed out!

:)

http://www.presstelegram.com/entertainment/ci_4208767

Zz.

• #2,413
Oh no. Here we go again.

Hurricane Ernesto is the first official hurricane of the season (which has been relatively quiet so far). It is predicted to pass by Walt Disney World some time on Thursday.

At this stage, I hope it continues with its current speed (or even faster). I'm flying in on Saturday! It was 2 years ago that we had to delay our trip because some hurricane just won't leave central Florida for days.

<crossing fingers and toes>

Zz.

• #2,414
ZapperZ said:
Call me a wimp. Call me a wuss. But I continue to be sucker for stories like these:
That is so sweet. :smile:

ZapperZ said:
.. and report like this just simply made me cry.
Me too!

Hey Zz, Ernesto looks like it'll slide right along the west coast of Florida. Take an umbrella and slicker suit. Hope your trip is not disrupted, but it will be a close call. Five day predictions have Ernesto in N. Florida near the border with Georgia. It might disrupt air travel through Atlanta and Charlotte.

Hey, but Disneyland (and hopefully Disney World) is 'Storm Ready'
http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2006/images/disneyland-stormready-group-07-2006.jpg :biggrin:

• #2,415
Astronuc said:
Hey Zz, Ernesto looks like it'll slide right along the west coast of Florida. Take an umbrella and slicker suit. Hope your trip is not disrupted, but it will be a close call. Five day predictions have Ernesto in N. Florida near the border with Georgia. It might disrupt air travel through Atlanta and Charlotte.

Hey, but Disneyland (and hopefully Disney World) is 'Storm Ready'
http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2006/images/disneyland-stormready-group-07-2006.jpg :biggrin:

It looks like Ernesto has been downgraded to a tropical storm while it is currently over Cuba. It might go back to being a hurricane as it makes its way into the gulf. They have predicted that it will be even further north by the time I'm flying in. I hope they're right.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT05/refresh/AL0506W5_sm2+gif/204623W_sm.gif

In any case, hurricane or not, if I can fly in, I'll be there, rain or shine.

Zz.