Can a small fairy be serious and smart?

• Thread starter some_one
  • Start date
In summary, data states that fairies are small and smart, but also serious. If a creature is not smart, then it is not considered a fairy.
some_one
data:
fairies are small and smart.
a creature is not smart,unless it's not serious.
fairies are serious.

what answer is not possible
1.a small and serious fairy
2.a smart creature which is not a fairy
3.a small creature which is not serious
4.a serious creature which is not a large and smart creature

i don't know why they chose 1
as the correct answer
??

Physics news on Phys.org
some_one said:
data:
fairies are small and smart.
a creature is not smart,unless it's not serious.
fairies are serious.

what answer is not possible
1.a small and serious fairy
2.a smart creature which is not a fairy
3.a small creature which is not serious
4.a serious creature which is not a large and smart creature

i don't know why they chose 1
as the correct answer
??
1 could not possibly be the correct answer, since those two properties of fairies are given.

I lie. It is 1.

Fairies are a contradiction.

By (1), they're Smart. (within blue and green)
But, by (2), if it's Smart, it has to be Serious (blue is within red)

So, answer 1a proposes a fairy that is inside Smart (blue), but outside Not Serious (red) (because (3) fairies are serious)

Heh. Conclusion: Fairies don't exist. Clever.

Attachments

• fairies.gif
    fairies.gif
    5 KB · Views: 570
Last edited:
can you please post a link to your attached photo
because
i was told that i am not privileged to view it

Last edited:
i was told also that fairies are serious
why didnt you maked this in the graph
there should be a fairy dot in a serious circle

why didnt you do it?

Last edited:
some_one said:
can you please post a link to your attached photo
because
i was told that i am not privileged to view it

Neither am I. It's a bug.

You can view the pic by looging out and then viewing it.

some_one said:
i was told also that fairies are serious
why didnt you maked this in the graph
there should be a fairy dot in a serious circle

why didnt you do it?

The point is that there is no where that one can put a dot that represents fairies.

No single point can satisfy all given criteria.

so this questions has an error in it

Not true. The data only says that all dumb (not smart) creatures are also playful (not serious). It says nothing about smart creatures. They can be serious or playful. Now, if there are supposed to be some "All" somewhere in the data, then that's a different story.

daveb said:
Not true. The data only says that all dumb (not smart) creatures are also playful (not serious).
That's not quite what it says.

daveb said:
It says nothing about smart creatures. They can be serious or playful. Now, if there are supposed to be some "All" somewhere in the data, then that's a different story.
Well, let's see if we can get the set diagram correct. Do you see any flaws in mine?

So, there's arguably no actual error in the question-- although you could argue that there is. I like the playful/serious and dumb/smart comparisons since they simplify the wording. That is, "not smart" == "dumb", and "not serious" == "playful". See how it affects the ease of understanding in the puzzle:

1. fairies are small and smart.
2. a creature is dumb, unless it's playful.
3. fairies are serious.

Now it's much easier to untangle the logic in #2. It's saying that ALL serious creatures are necessarily dumb. The only way a creature can avoid being dumb is by being playful. Now look at fairies. They're supposedly smart and serious! But if #2 is correct, then a fairy goes against the rule. Hence, the implication is that there's no such thing as fairies-- if fairies don't exist, then no rules are broken. Fairies might as well be small and big, or smart and dumb. Since none exist, there's arguably no contradiction.

DaveE

thank i understood that

FAQ: Can a small fairy be serious and smart?

1. What is a logical question?

A logical question is a type of inquiry that is based on logic and reason. It is a question that requires a logical and rational answer, rather than an emotional or subjective response.

2. How do I ask a logical question?

In order to ask a logical question, you need to carefully consider the information you have and formulate a question that is clear, concise, and based on logical reasoning. It is important to avoid bias and emotion in your question.

3. Why is it important to ask logical questions?

Asking logical questions helps to clarify information, uncover hidden assumptions, and get to the root of a problem or issue. It also promotes critical thinking and helps to reach more accurate and rational conclusions.

4. What are some examples of logical questions?

Examples of logical questions include "What evidence supports your claim?", "What are the logical consequences of this decision?", and "How do you know that your reasoning is valid?" These questions require logical reasoning and evidence to answer.

5. How can I improve my skills in asking logical questions?

One way to improve your skills in asking logical questions is to practice critical thinking and reasoning. You can also seek out resources and exercises that specifically focus on developing logical questioning skills, such as puzzles or logic games.