Digital Cameras: Recording Progress on Drawing in One Day

• Thread starter zoobyshoe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drawing
In summary: and then it's gone for a while. I think it has a lot to do with how I process my images: I work extremely fast, and I don't always take the time to clean up my lines.
"The Smoking Cat"

Poster for a fictional left bank cafe, The Smoking Cat, (starring Violet, the same girl in "Portrait of Violet" posted a few pages back).

TheSmokingCat950web.jpg

First time in a long time I did a background behind the subject.

Science news on Phys.org
Nice work, Zooby. Perfect proportions, shading, perspective, the whole shebang. I envy your talent. Truly.

Wow.

Wow that's a great portrait, good job Zooby.

I have to say I am very impressed with these drawing, so much so I made the very bold. I think this should be made a sticky, its pure gold.

I hope you will be posting more drawings, they are simply a delight to look through.

GeorginaS said:
Nice work, Zooby. Perfect proportions, shading, perspective, the whole shebang. I envy your talent. Truly.
Nice to hear from you, Georgina. I'm happy you like my stuff!
lisab said:
Wow.
Thanks!
binzing said:
Wow that's a great portrait, good job Zooby.
Thanks, binzing!
Focus said:
I have to say I am very impressed with these drawing, so much so I made the very bold. I think this should be made a sticky, its pure gold.

I hope you will be posting more drawings, they are simply a delight to look through.
Thanks very much. Extremely nice of you to say so, Focus.

Hey! Are you French? Or living in a french area?

"Bring Your Alibis"

BringYourAlibis750web.jpg

Another poster. Took ages: I "finished" it about twenty times, then decided it needed more work. The model is a college student. She's very beautiful, but the dim lighting in the cafe where I took the reference shots for the drawing cast sort of German Expressionistic shadows on her face. Then in this one shot she flashed a kind of manic smirk just as I tripped the shutter. That ended up being my favorite shot, but I didn't know what to do with it: made her look sort of evil, which was unfortunate since she has such a lovely face. Then it hit me: such a lovely face deserved to be set in a lovely place.

Focus said:

It's in General Discussion Classics.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=916679&postcount=49

Deservedly so!

JasonRox said:
Hey! Are you French? Or living in a french area?

Hey! I am half French Canadian, but I learned my French in high school and college and live in San Diego.

Nice work as always Zoob. I particularly like the poster style ones.

zoo-by-shoe,

Beautiful renderings. Have you ever tried Surrealistic drawing, like portraying dream images?

Kurdt said:
Nice work as always Zoob. I particularly like the poster style ones.
Thanks, Kurdt. It was an interesting experience to draw a bunch of things other than the human face.
Loren Booda said:
Beautiful renderings. Have you ever tried Surrealistic drawing, like portraying dream images?
Glad you like them, Loren. I've never tried surrealism, no. Don't have any strong leanings in that direction.

Updating:

Portrait Of Oz
Oz828-1.jpg

I experimented with the greyscale prismacolor colored pencils for Oz, not graphite. Oz is her nickname, and I keep forgetting to ask how she got it.

Sketch of Katy Wong:

KatyWongSketch700con.jpg

This is a completely freehand sketch, no grid or mechanically measured proportions. I like the way it came out. Katy is a local singer/songwriter.

Portrait Of Kristina:

PortraitOfKristina650.jpg

When I first saw this girl in the cafe where I hang out I was stunned: I couldn't believe a girl with such a big nose could be so hot. (Pretty much all the guys there find her amazingly attractive.) Unfortunately, the drawing didn't manage to capture how hot she is. I'm going to have to redraw her sometime. Regardless, she told me several strangers stopped her at various times and said they recognized her from a drawing a guy (me) was doing of her. We both got a kick out of that.

Wow. Are these from photos, or live?

[ EDIT: Silly me. Of course they're from photos. It was the one of Wong that made me wonder.]

Your attention to detail and subtlety in gradient is inhuman.

I already posted this in another thread a couple weeks back but I'll repost here to keep things together:

CRAZYreworked700pix.jpg

The model is a girl on deviantart named Zeldyn. She posted a series of pictures of herself entitled "Crazy"; just her making crazy faces. I took one and exaggerated her expression even more to create a sort of icon of manic lunacy.

DaveC426913 said:
Wow. Are these from photos, or live?

All drawn from photo references. I can't possibly get anyone to sit for as long as it takes me to draw one of these. Even the "sketch" of Katy took about 5 hours. I'm not fast.

DaveC426913 said:
[ EDIT: Silly me. Of course they're from photos. It was the one of Wong that made me wonder.]
Yeah, I call anything I do freehand a "sketch". The one of Katy is a lot more finished than usual. Most of my usual "sketches" are not worth posting. They're for practice and look like it.

Your attention to detail and subtlety in gradient is inhuman.
Thanks! Anyway, I'm not human, I'm a zoobie.

yeah, very nice work--

rewebster said:
yeah, very nice work--

Thanks, rewebster!

Always mad love of your art:!)

zoobyshoe said:
Yeah, I call anything I do freehand a "sketch". The one of Katy is a lot more finished than usual. Most of my usual "sketches" are not worth posting. They're for practice and look like it.

Thanks! Anyway, I'm not human, I'm a zoobie.
I found the trick of the photo projector from the art class I took in my late 30's. But all it gives you is reference points. If you don't have talent, it doesn't help. Until then I had done everything freehand. All but 2 people quit the class, the last walking by me and snorting out "I thought this class was for beginners". I *was* a beginner. Now my oldest daughter, the artist, has stolen my projector.

You have a rare gift zoob, an absolutely incredible gift for capturing the life of the object.

hypatia said:
Always mad love of your art:!)
Thank you much, dear.

Evo said:
I found the trick of the photo projector from the art class I took in my late 30's. But all it gives you is reference points. If you don't have talent, it doesn't help. Until then I had done everything freehand. All but 2 people quit the class, the last walking by me and snorting out "I thought this class was for beginners". I *was* a beginner. Now my oldest daughter, the artist, has stolen my projector.
Yes, however you get, or don't get, the proportions, how you flesh them out makes a world of difference. A friend I have here in San Diego can eyeball proportions as well as me. She can also capture level of light and dark (value) about as well as me. She loses her patience when it comes to shading and skin tone, though, so her renderings have a "skritchy-scratchy" texture, despite the fact the overall values and proportions are about the same as mine.

You have a rare gift zoob, an absolutely incredible gift for capturing the life of the object.
I'm very happy you think so! Thanks so much!

Zooby, do you sell your art?

lisab said:
Zooby, do you sell your art?

Not much, no. I was born lacking the "peddler" gene. I don't do commissions because I want to draw faces that appeal to me on my own terms.

When I lived in Minneapolis years back I got into a few juried group shows (you had to pass a jury to get hung in the show). Once in, you could put any price you wanted on your work and it was for sale to the public who came to the show. I sold three pieces back then that way. I also had a piece in a real art gallery for a while back then, but it didn't sell.

At this point I'm working on the idea of selling inexpensive framed prints of the ones that seem to be most popular.

zoobyshoe said:
Portrait Of Kristina:
When I first saw this girl in the cafe where I hang out I was stunned: I couldn't believe a girl with such a big nose could be so hot.

I was rather stunned by the picture. I have no issue with big noses either. They can be kind of sexy in my opinion. I like faces with character.

And of course your drawings are great as usual. :-)

TheStatutoryApe said:
I like faces with character.
For me, http://rebelsofmars.blogs.com/rebels_of_mars/images/2007/06/09/barkin1.jpg" do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
TheStatutoryApe said:
I was rather stunned by the picture. I have no issue with big noses either. They can be kind of sexy in my opinion. I like faces with character.
Usually when we perceive a nose to be "too big" we are judging it to be disproportionately large for the face in question. In Kristina's case there is no sense she's pretty "despite" her nose, she makes it work so that I feel she's attractive because of her nose. I can't figure out why it can be too big by all standards, and yet simultaneously so attractive.

And of course your drawings are great as usual. :-)

Thanks very much! Kind of you to say so.

Zooby,

What amazing manifestations of artistic talent! Your shading is phenomenal. Your humility adds to the already impressive nature of your work. Please, continue to share!

Zooby, thank you for sharing your artwork. They are all stimulating on a subconscious level and project a set of emotions which are just out of reach in the ordinary sense of the word.

zoobyshoe said:
Not much, no. I was born lacking the "peddler" gene. I don't do commissions because I want to draw faces that appeal to me on my own terms.

When I lived in Minneapolis years back I got into a few juried group shows (you had to pass a jury to get hung in the show). Once in, you could put any price you wanted on your work and it was for sale to the public who came to the show. I sold three pieces back then that way. I also had a piece in a real art gallery for a while back then, but it didn't sell.

At this point I'm working on the idea of selling inexpensive framed prints of the ones that seem to be most popular.

funny--I thought the same way about my commissions at first, then realized that people knew my works and wanted me to paint them my way.

I did prints for prints sake (multiples like etchings, and a lot of silkscreens), but people wanted some type of 'original' work, ---and, sold quite a few paintings as I knew I could always paint more and get better at painting at the same time the more I painted. I did the 'shows' (one man gallery, about 5 or 6) but didn't sell much----I sold stuff mostly through commissions through people who had or had seen commissioned work.

But, it depends on what your long range plans are, I guess.

I read a book about "Art and Photography" in college and a lot of artists going way back (and also in the three years I was in the college 'studio' setting) used photographs (and grids) --I think even Cezanne and Monet even photoed and gridded. Picasso's profile/full face 'thing' that he used for a LONG time came from a double exposure negative of a woman who moved during a long exposure in one of those old cameras.

DaveC426913 said:
For me, http://rebelsofmars.blogs.com/rebels_of_mars/images/2007/06/09/barkin1.jpg" do it.
Those are attractive too. Here is a good example of an attractive nosy model I found recently.

zoobyshoe said:
Usually when we perceive a nose to be "too big" we are judging it to be disproportionately large for the face in question. In Kristina's case there is no sense she's pretty "despite" her nose, she makes it work so that I feel she's attractive because of her nose. I can't figure out why it can be too big by all standards, and yet simultaneously so attractive.
I've found that they work very well for [East] Indian women. I often find them very attractive. There are some other ethnic backgrounds that seem to have faces quite suited for larger noses as well.

Last edited by a moderator: