PF HD repair Thur 3/25 at 11PM CDT

• Thread starter berkeman
  • Start date
In summary, it was announced that the PF database hard drive was failing and would be replaced on Thursday at 11PM CDT, causing some expected downtime. There were concerns about maintenance being done while Greg was away, but it was revealed that Astronuc and chroot had the ability to work directly with the data center if needed. The alternate PF Yahoo site was mentioned as a backup for urgent communications. After the maintenance was completed, some posts were found to be missing and suggestions were made to upgrade to a solid-state drive. Greg returned from vacation and thanked everyone for their hard work in fixing the issues. There were also mentions of the philosophy forum and the meaning of life being discussed, as well as library autolinking not working.
berkeman
Mentor
Seems the PF database HD is failing. It is scheduled to be replaced on Thursday at 11PM CDT.

There will be a bit of downtime. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just switch to a SCSI drive.

waht said:
Just switch to a SCSI drive.

I'll have to check with Greg on that. Not sure how often he's checking in right now.

Oh boy. Maintenance being done while Greg is away. Do we still have the alternate PF Yahoo site to gather with our support groups if we have to go through withdrawal if the whole site goes down until he returns? :bugeye:

Moonbear said:
Oh boy. Maintenance being done while Greg is away. Do we still have the alternate PF Yahoo site to gather with our support groups if we have to go through withdrawal if the whole site goes down until he returns? :bugeye:
Astronuc and chroot have the ability to work directly with the data center anytime Greg travels, so any down time should be minimal.

Moonbear the alt PF support site is a secret, used only for urgent communications like "ugh, what happened, I can't get in", "I know I can't get in either", "can anyone get in?", "not that I know of". :biggrin:

Last edited:
We can always gather in a bad place where nobody knows who is who.

Borek said:
That was my thought also.

Evo said:
...the alt PF support site is a secret, used only for urgent communications like "ugh, what happened...
Welcome home Evo.

Borek said:
OK, I'll be stinky elf.

dlgoff said:
Thanks dl!Welcome home Evo.

turbo-1 said:
OK, I'll be stinky elf.
I never got a cool name.

aaaaaand we're back and on the new HD. now I'm going to go get drunk and then sleep for 12 hours.
MIH I'm going to need a massage too :D

Last edited:
Greg Bernhardt said:
aaaaaand we're back and on the new HD. now I'm going to go get drunk and then sleep for 12 hours.

...gasp...!

Wow, soooo glad you fixed it, Greg. Thanks! Nighty-night, sweet dreams o:)!

It would appear that we lost quite a bit of posts :cry: :cry:.

At least it's all fixed now. Thanks Greg :smile:

++What you drinking huh?

zomgwtf said:
It would appear that we lost quite a bit of posts :cry: :cry:.

At least it's all fixed now. Thanks Greg :smile:

yeah we lost all the posts from late morning, I don't think it was up more than a couple hours

Finally! I have a PF addiction. Sometimes, it can be hard to quantify.

Ah this is so not cool. I was updating the page all day and its down! Finally its up. Hey how much space do you guys use? We should pitch in and get SSD, I am sure the forum is under 250 gigs?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Nice.

cronxeh said:
Ah this is so not cool. I was updating the page all day and its down! Finally its up. Hey how much space do you guys use? We should pitch in and get SSD, I am sure the forum is under 250 gigs?

It was a combination of problems, not just the hard drive, I won't go into detail. Data centers are very slow in adopting SSD. Once they are reliable and readily available we'll definitely hop on that train.

Wow, Greg, you can't even go on vacation without PF going kerblooey! Sorry your vacation was disrupted with having to fix hard drive problems. Go enjoy that drink and sleep well!

Moonbear said:
Wow, Greg, you can't even go on vacation without PF going kerblooey! Sorry your vacation was disrupted with having to fix hard drive problems. Go enjoy that drink and sleep well!

I got back last night thankfully!

Thanks for all of the hard work, Greg.

Back just in the nick of time!

Greg Bernhardt said:
I got back last night thankfully!

Then, welcome back! When the whole site went down for so long, I was worried that Astronuc was on his own to fix the problems (I haven't seen Chroot around in a while) and couldn't reach you on vacation. For some reason, I thought you weren't back home until this weekend (and was starting to get nervous that PF might be down that long). :rolleyes:

Welcome back Greg! Did you get that weird sensation in the pit of your stomach too when you noticed that PF wasn't working?

"I felt a great disturbance in the Force... as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced."

Greg Bernhardt said:

I tried, baby, but you were out like a light. BTW, your kung pao chicken is in the fridge - maybe you can have it for breakfast.

Math Is Hard said:
I tried, baby, but you were out like a light. BTW, your kung pao chicken is in the fridge - maybe you can have it for breakfast.

:eek:

Library autolinking

Library autolinking isn't working :redface:

is the server still overworked?

It was touch and go last night.

I'm thankful most of PF survived intact.

A couple of us worked out the meaning of life in the philosophy forum the other day, but now I can't find it anymore! :cry:

edit: the mathematical equation for nirvana is gone too! nooooooo!

Hurkyl said:
A couple of us worked out the meaning of life in the philosophy forum the other day, but now I can't find it anymore! :cry:

Such is life.

This downtime didn't have anything to do with the buyout, did it?

tiny-tim said:
Library autolinking isn't working :redface:

is the server still overworked?

Yeah I disabled it when turning the system back on to ease it back in :) I'll enable it later today.

Greg did an amazing job coordinating the survival of the site over this last hardware failure. We all owe him our thanks for his incredible dedication to our community. Congrats, buddy!

- Warren

Thank you, Greg!:smile:

Hurkyl said:

Let's see how many members are gone as well:rolleyes::biggrin:

Wow! I'm in shock. :eek: I just got back into town a few hours ago...I should have stayed at the beach watching the competition there. Drama and all. LOL! There is ...is...well, I have something to look forward to the pictures from another topic.

Also, I noticed on Google I only have one listing when before I had tons. What the heck would cause that? Ah well, some are on altavista. Gee whiz, I had a oodle of people who followed me on Google. I had over 20 pages there now only one little blurp.:frown:

This is like the show SURVIVOR. Thank goodness I passed that show up. ROTFL.! You kept us alive here Greg. (Thumbs Up!:wink:) One thing super nice about this place I always leave laughing. LOL! I'm sorry, I just can't stop laughing! I got to go.

<h2>What is a PF HD repair?</h2><p>A PF HD repair is a surgical procedure that is used to repair a damaged or torn plantar fascia, which is a ligament that supports the arch of the foot.</p><h2>When is the PF HD repair scheduled?</h2><p>The PF HD repair is scheduled for Thursday, March 25 at 11PM CDT.</p><h2>What does CDT stand for?</h2><p>CDT stands for Central Daylight Time, which is the time zone that the surgery will take place in.</p><h2>How long does the PF HD repair surgery typically take?</h2><p>The PF HD repair surgery typically takes about 1-2 hours, but the exact duration may vary depending on the severity of the injury and the individual's specific case.</p><h2>What is the recovery process like after a PF HD repair?</h2><p>The recovery process after a PF HD repair may involve wearing a cast or boot for a few weeks, followed by physical therapy and gradually increasing weight-bearing activities. It may take several months for a full recovery, but most patients are able to resume normal activities within 3-6 months.</p>

FAQ: PF HD repair Thur 3/25 at 11PM CDT

What is a PF HD repair?

A PF HD repair is a surgical procedure that is used to repair a damaged or torn plantar fascia, which is a ligament that supports the arch of the foot.

When is the PF HD repair scheduled?

The PF HD repair is scheduled for Thursday, March 25 at 11PM CDT.

What does CDT stand for?

CDT stands for Central Daylight Time, which is the time zone that the surgery will take place in.

How long does the PF HD repair surgery typically take?

The PF HD repair surgery typically takes about 1-2 hours, but the exact duration may vary depending on the severity of the injury and the individual's specific case.

What is the recovery process like after a PF HD repair?

The recovery process after a PF HD repair may involve wearing a cast or boot for a few weeks, followed by physical therapy and gradually increasing weight-bearing activities. It may take several months for a full recovery, but most patients are able to resume normal activities within 3-6 months.

Back