Why Do Electric Fields Move from Positive to Negative Charges?

In summary, electric fields involve the movement of an electric field vector from a positive charge to a negative charge. A few equations can be used to understand them, but it is important to be cautious when applying them to moving charges. The right-hand rule is typically used to determine the direction of the magnetic force in a V-B-F vector diagram, but some may find the left-hand rule easier to use. It is important to apply the right-hand rule correctly to avoid any incorrect results.
devious_
I need help understanding electric fields. I basically suck at answering questions related to them (I get 95% of them wrong :cry:).

What I do know about them is:
The electric field vector moves from a positive charge (+q) to a negative charge (-q). (Is this the same case in a capacitor? I saw the vector pointing for -q to q through the dielectric of two plates.)
I also know a few equations:

[tex]E=\frac{F}{q}=k\frac{Q}{r²}[/tex]

[tex]\Delta U_{e} = -\Delta W_e = - Fd = -Eqr[/tex]

[tex]W = kqQ (\frac{r_{a}-r_{b}}{r_{a}r_{b}})[/tex]

[tex]\Delta U_{e} = k\frac{qQ}{r}[/tex]

[tex]\Delta V = \Delta \frac{U_{e}}{q} = k\frac{Q}{r}[/tex]

[tex]\Delta V = \frac{\Delta W_{e}}{q} = \frac{Fd}{q} = \frac{Eq}{q}d = Ed[/tex]

[tex]\Delta V = \frac{q}{C}[/tex]

[tex]C = \frac{\epsilon_{0}A}{d}[/tex]

I appologize if this is the wrong forum.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your request is rather broad, to say the least. :smile:

I presume you have a textbook? And have attempted to solve problems?

If you have specific conceptual questions, feel free to ask them in this forum. But if you need help in solving problems, post them in the appropriate homework help forum--you'll get loads of help. Be sure to show your work--that's the only way we can pinpoint exactly where your confusions lie.

If you need a site to browse to get a different take on electric fields than your textbook may provide, a good place to start is here: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/elefie.html#c1 (Poke around on that site and you will find most, if not all, of the equations you listed explained.)

devious_ said:
I need help understanding electric fields. I basically suck at answering questions related to them (I get 95% of them wrong :cry:).

What I do know about them is:
The electric field vector moves from a positive charge (+q) to a negative charge (-q). (Is this the same case in a capacitor? I saw the vector pointing for -q to q through the dielectric of two plates.)
I also know a few equations:

[tex]E=\frac{F}{q}=k\frac{Q}{r²}[/tex]

Always be cautious with this relation. It is assumed that when this relation is applied that the charge is stationary. If the charge is moving then F is given by

F = q(E + vxB)

and in this case E does not equal F/q.

Pete

Last edited by a moderator:
pmb_phy said:
F = q(E + vxB)

Just to make it clear, vxB here is the cross product of v and B.

Thanks for the link Doc_Al. I went and got a better textbook, because I found out mine sucked. I think I understand electric fields alright now. :smile:

And pmb_phy: if the charge is moving, then it has a magnetic field, correct?

Speaking of magnetic fields, I have a question:

If you are given one of those V-B-F vector diagrams, for example one with the vector lines of velocity (b) and field strength (v) and were asked to find the direction of the magnetic force. The book suggests that I use the right-hand rule, but it's kind of difficult to apply it, so I used the left-hand rule and it worked on all questions. I read that the left-hand rule was specifically meant for I-B-F vector diagrams, but can I also used it for V-B-F diagrams too, or was that a fluke?

edit: V = charge's velocity

Last edited:
devious_ said:
And pmb_phy: if the charge is moving, then it has a magnetic field, correct?
Correct.
Speaking of magnetic fields, I have a question:

If you are given one of those V-B-F vector diagrams, for example one with the vector lines of velocity (b) and field strength (v) and were asked to find the direction of the magnetic force. The book suggests that I use the right-hand rule, but it's kind of difficult to apply it, so I used the left-hand rule and it worked on all questions. I read that the left-hand rule was specifically meant for I-B-F vector diagrams, but can I also used it for V-B-F diagrams too, or was that a fluke?
I can't say unless I know exactly what you're doing since it seems that you're doing something wrong. The left hand rule will give the wrong result so all I can say without further info is that your'e applying it incorretly.

Pete

I'm using my thumb to point in the direction of the magnetic force, my index finger to point in the direction of magnetic flux, and using my remaining fingers (or palm) to point in the direction of current/velocity.

right hand rule

Here are two links that may help with the right hand rule:
http://www.physics.brocku.ca/faculty/sternin/120/slides/rh-rule.html
http://physics.syr.edu/courses/video/RightHandRule/

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what I don't get: just because your hand is made the way it is, the magnetic force moves that way? My teacher never gave me an explanation for the reason WHY the magnetic force moves the way it does.

Related to Why Do Electric Fields Move from Positive to Negative Charges?

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a force field that surrounds a charged particle and affects other charged particles within its range. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How is an electric field created?

An electric field is created by the presence of a charged particle. When a charged particle, such as an electron or proton, is in motion, it creates an electric field around it. Additionally, an electric field can also be created by a static charge, such as a charged balloon or comb.

What is the difference between an electric field and an electric potential?

An electric field is a measure of the force exerted on a charged particle, while an electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a certain point in space. In simpler terms, an electric field tells us how strong the force is, while an electric potential tells us how much work is required to move a charged particle to a certain location.

How are electric fields and electric charges related?

Electric fields and electric charges are directly related. A charged particle will always create an electric field, and conversely, an electric field can only exist in the presence of a charged particle. The strength of the electric field is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charge creating it.

How are electric fields measured?

Electric fields are measured using a unit called volts per meter (V/m). This unit represents the amount of force exerted on a charged particle per volt of electric potential. The direction of the electric field at a certain point is given by the direction a positive test charge would move when placed in that location.