Getting information about a physics phd

In summary, it is possible to have multiple PhD's, but it is not beneficial. It is more efficient to try to get co-mentors and do your PhD project jointly with them to cover both fields.
matt.harvard
I have started my Master's programme in physics and I'm getting information about a physics phd. One question seems to keep coming up, will you go for 2 phd's?

I'm interested in theoretical particle physics, but is it worth getting another phd in another field in physics? Can you do 2 phd programmes at once? How long?

Any advice on the matter will be greatly appreciated.

-matt

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure that's even possible to accomplish?

There is a guy at my university who will soon be holding a seminar for students in biology that has a PhD in Theology, PhD in Evolutionary Biology and DDS (Doctor of Dental Surgery) degrees. So yes while it is possible to have multiple PhD's I can not even imagine how you could be working on more than one at a time.

scorpa said:
There is a guy at my university who will soon be holding a seminar for students in biology that has a PhD in Theology, PhD in Evolutionary Biology and DDS (Doctor of Dental Surgery) degrees. So yes while it is possible to have multiple PhD's I can not even imagine how you could be working on more than one at a time.

That's what I was talking about.

Doing two at the same time.

Asimov had like 20 doctorate degree. Not sure how many, but he did say he lost count.

i'm aware that many people do get more than one phd, but what i was asking was, is it beneficial?

Pdh in math and physics, something along those lines.

If your interests bridge two fields, it would probably be more efficient to try to get co-mentors and do your PhD project jointly with them to cover both fields. Pick one as your main department, and then just supplement additional coursework as needed for your research area.

For example, we have neuroscience faculty who bring in engineering students to work on projects involving computational methods in imaging (i.e., MRI).

The only time it would make sense to do a second degree is if the fields are completely unrelated, but usually that's something that's done more for a thirst for knowledge (or masochism) than because it would help with a career. For example, Georgina and I both know someone who already had an MD/PhD and who somewhat recently got a doctorate in theology, but that's more because theology is an avocation more so than something you do as a way of furthering a career.

In a lot of countries - not sure about the US - it's possible to obtain a PhD through the submission of several good papers.

I don't really see the point of having two though - unless you want supreme bragging rights, or something...

maybe he just wants to be called Doctor, Doctor.

tribdog said:
...Doctor, Doctor.
I feel like a pair of curtains...

JasonRox said:
Asimov had like 20 doctorate degree. Not sure how many, but he did say he lost count.

He had a doctorate in biochemistry. The rest, 14 apparently, were honorary:

http://www.asimovonline.com/asimov_FAQ.html

FAQ: Getting information about a physics phd

1. What are the requirements for a physics PhD program?

The specific requirements for a physics PhD program may vary depending on the university and program, but generally, applicants will need a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field, strong letters of recommendation, a high GPA, and competitive scores on the GRE exam. Some programs may also require applicants to have research experience or relevant coursework.

2. How long does it take to complete a physics PhD program?

The length of a physics PhD program can vary, but on average, it takes 5-6 years to complete. This includes coursework, research, and writing and defending a dissertation. Some programs may offer an accelerated track for students who already have a master's degree in physics.

3. What types of research opportunities are available in a physics PhD program?

Physics PhD programs typically offer a wide range of research opportunities, including experimental and theoretical research in areas such as astrophysics, particle physics, condensed matter physics, and more. Many programs also offer opportunities for students to collaborate with other departments or institutions.

4. Are there funding opportunities available for physics PhD students?

Many universities offer funding opportunities for physics PhD students, such as teaching or research assistantships, scholarships, grants, and fellowships. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities early in the application process.

5. What career options are available with a physics PhD?

Graduates with a physics PhD have a variety of career options, including academia, research and development in industries such as technology and healthcare, consulting, and government work. Many also pursue postdoctoral research positions before entering the job market.