What safety precautions should residents take during snowmelt season?

• Thread starter D H
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation centers around the rarity of snow in certain areas, the desire for more snow, and the effects of climate change on weather patterns. Some participants share their experiences with snow and the challenges it can bring, while others express envy for those who have more snow and cold temperatures. The conversation also touches on the dangers of freezing rain and ice accumulation, and how this can impact daily life and events like Christmas parties and weddings.
Ah haha!
How appropriate.
My neighbors lawn ornament has turned into Rudolf the Rednecked Rainslug.

pf_IMG_0001_rrnrs_2008_12_22_1pm.JPG

We are famous for our http://www.slugqueeneugene.com/default.shtml" . :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
Oh how cute! This was last week? Where do you live, because I want to be there!

I am In Tucson AZ. We had a freeze warning the night before so I had covered the plants. The humming bird waited around as I was uncovering them.

edward said:
Gees, I would hate to think this is all happening because a humming bird saw its Shadow at my house last Friday. :smile:

http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/147/copyof1001050jpghumminghe9.jpg

We had a freeze warning the night before and I had just uncover the plants when this critter showed up.
Personally, I think Edward and bird faked it with a set of high intensity lamps. :biggrin: How much did you pay the bird?

I bet the bird is on his way to Mexico for the winter.

Astronuc said:
Personally, I think Edward and bird faked it with a set of high intensity lamps. :biggrin: How much did you pay the bird?

I bet the bird is on his way to Mexico for the winter.

The bird was happy with a nectar breakfast. :smile: The migration patterns have been changing. There were a lot of birds that wintered over here last year instead of flying on down south.

Actually two species are quite common here in Tucson in the winter, Anna's and Costa's. In addition, Broad-billed, Magnificent and Blue-Chinned hummers are seen in small numbers in the winter. It is a lot different here than the rest of the country.

edward said:
The bird was happy with a nectar breakfast. :smile: The migration patterns have been changing. There were a lot of birds that wintered over here last year instead of flying on down south.
Since we've put out suet and keep the bird feeders full, we have a lot of birds that hang out here at winter time. It's 20°F and there will be all sorts of seed eaters out.

We have a neighborhood redbellied woodpecker who visits our birdfeeders. We have chickadees, titmice, goldfinches (with winter plummage), cardinals, various finches who hang out in our yard. I wonder where the heck they go at night.

Yesterday we had a falcon (merlin perhaps) or small hawk sitting on the iron shepherd's hook from which we hang the bird feeders. It just for a couple of minutes and then took off as soon as my wife was about to snap a picture.

I saw a kingfisher about 1 month ago down by the river. It looked like a bluish-grey woodpecker. It's a cool looking bird.

Astronuc said:
Since we've put out suet and keep the bird feeders full, we have a lot of birds that hang out here at winter time. It's 20°F and there will be all sorts of seed eaters out.

We have a neighborhood redbellied woodpecker who visits our birdfeeders. We have chickadees, titmice, goldfinches (with winter plummage), cardinals, various finches who hang out in our yard. I wonder where the heck they go at night.

Yesterday we had a falcon (merlin perhaps) or small hawk sitting on the iron shepherd's hook from which we hang the bird feeders. It just for a couple of minutes and then took off as soon as my wife was about to snap a picture.

I saw a kingfisher about 1 month ago down by the river. It looked like a bluish-grey woodpecker. It's a cool looking bird.

Watching birds is fun! No matter where you go, there they are.

It was a balmy 0°F (-18°C) at the back of the house at daybreak. At the moment, the temperature has warmed to 18°F (-7.8°C) in the back and slightly warmer 33°F (0.5°C) on the sunnier SE corner of the house.

We are supposed to have snow/sleet/rain tonight, fog with ice then rain tomorrow, but sunny with wind on Thursday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vPfOjAw5Z0

Since it's snowing, why not come to PF chat (open today and tomorrow):
https://www.physicsforums.com/chat/flashchat.php

Redbelly98 said:
Since it's snowing, why not come to PF chat (open today and tomorrow):
https://www.physicsforums.com/chat/flashchat.php

Oh the weather outside is frightful,
But the fire is so delightful.
And since you are stuck where you're at,
Come and chat, come and chat, come and chat!

lisab said:
Oh the weather outside is frightful,
But the fire is so delightful.
And since you are stuck where you're at,
Come and chat, come and chat, come and chat!

There must be an award somewhere around here for "first PF Christmas tune"!

Last edited:
Well, its official, we have a White Christmas. We still have snow from earlier in the week and it is now snowing hard. It's the first truly white Christmas I've had since I was a kid in Minnesota.

Still no snow here. Perhaps traces tomorrow.

We had some nice trashcan cone-head snow sculpture at work yesterday

pf_Snapshot_2008-12-25_14-15-52.jpg

I thought the snow was over with this morning so I spend 6 hours digging myself out and clearing a path for the mailman(...again... I'll never learn)

pf_Snapshot_2008-12-25%20_14-20-36.jpg

Of course, I was mistaken. 1 hour later, black was once again white.

pf_Snapshot_2008-12-25_14-28-37.jpg

The weatherman said this morning that the previous record snow depth on a Christmas day was 1".

I think we beat the record. :smile:

Merry Christmas everyone!

We're having snow - again. It's about 4 inches (10 cm) and still snowing.

I have to go shovel the driveway.

We (central NJ) are getting it too. It's about 3 millimeters (1/8 inch) and still coming down.

I have to go sweep the front steps.

We have a lot of bird activity at our bird feeders. Usually the activity picks up when it snows.

I have yet to see a green-haired redbelly.

Redbelly98 said:
We (central NJ) are getting it too. It's about 3 millimeters (1/8 inch) and still coming down.
Yep, seems to be coming down pretty hard. Sounds like I may as well go home! I can't work under these conditions.

Ahhh. 64 F here and sunny.

Sunny and 25 deg F with thin cirrus. The chickadees are hitting the suet and the seed-feeder pretty hard. Maybe they know something about upcoming weather...?

No more cirrus - pretty socked in, now with snow on the way and a cold snap following. Night will be in the single digits or lower for the next few days. I love my wood stove!

Hey , here there is only slight rain and no snow outthere , it sucks.

Astronuc said:
We have a lot of bird activity at our bird feeders. Usually the activity picks up when it snows.

I have yet to see a green-haired redbelly.

They're quite rare. Good thing I'm no longer in the market for a mate.

Doc Al said:
Yep, seems to be coming down pretty hard. Sounds like I may as well go home! I can't work under these conditions.

Sorry, the sun has come out and melted everything on the west side of the house. A very light dusting remains on the eastward side.

No, it is not snowing. But temperature plummeted down to zero.

Zero Fahrenheit.

And it is only 6 p.m. with clear sky, it can get even colder tonight.

And your zero is coming my way.

The ice-fishermen here would love some sub-zero weather, BUT they need heavy rain first. The snow-pack insulates what thin ice there is, preventing deeper freezing, and as a result many large bodies of fresh water are unsafe for fishing. Because of this and the poor economy, sales of equipment, bait, etc are way down. I don't think hopes for heavy rain are going to be fulfilled. We have about a foot of very crusty snow (more in the north), that the rain would run off before saturating, and it takes a lot of warm rain to melt a foot of snow. Ah, well.

I've just spent 2hours shoveling another foot of 'turning to rain later' off the drive.
The snow banks are now higher than I am so that's it - I'm now waiting for spring.

Turbo, I wish I could send you some of our rain. Here is our forecast:

* From midnight EST /11 PM CST/ tonight through Wednesday morning

* rainfall may be heavy at times beginning late tonight through
Wednesday morning. By Wednesday morning... widespread total
rainfall amounts of three to four inches will be possible
across most of the watch area. In addition... locally higher
amounts will be possible in a few areas.

It doesn't snow in Vancouver!
car2.jpg
If you buy a white car, remember where you parked it!

car.jpg
Thats a Range Rover (full size SUV) that won't be seen until spring.

I can't imagine that much snow!

larkspur said:
I can't imagine that much snow!
When I was a kid, a Nor'easter sat on us and delivered 5' of the new stuff in 2 days. Snowmobiles were VERY rare, and were used for rescue purposes, taking people food, kero, etc. Some people in remote parts of town were over 2 weeks getting bulldozed out so they could buy groceries, go to work, etc. I made a LOT of money during those weeks, shoveling out doors and windows, and clearing off peoples' roofs. It wasn't much in today's terms, but my dad earned maybe 50% more than minimum wage and I could easily double his wage on an hourly basis, helping people prevent damage to their property.

More snow - 6-12 inches (15-30 cm).

So, I'm home making another beef roast. :tongue2"

I've lost track of how much we are getting, last measure was about 7 inches, that was 2 hours ago. And its still coming down strong.

Looks like the next weather-maker may pass over the Gulf of Maine, hopefully sparing us. I'm getting really sick of snow. I think the chickadees sense unsettled weather - they are hitting the seed feeders and the suet cage pretty hard today even though it is pretty mild (27 deg , currently). This morning I went out to reload the suet cage, and one of the 'dees was hanging off the bottom of it pecking at the frozen scraps. I walked up to him and held out my handful of fresh suet, and he just went on pecking at the frozen stuff. I held the suet so close to him that when he would pause to glance at me, he could take a bite of the fresh stuff without moving a bit. Nope! He was pretty stubborn. It's nice to see that they remember me. They all look pretty much alike so when a flock comes in, the only way I can tell if they are "regulars" is to approach them. If they flit away hollering "deeee, deeee, deeee", they are newcomers, and if they stay put, they're regulars.