Forum for Speculative Physics Discussions - Advice Needed

• Thread starter Ultimaton
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of finding a forum for speculative physics discussions with knowledgeable posters. The rules of physics forums state that discussions must be about ideas that are both published and mainstream. Moderators may make decisions individually or after discussion with other mentors. There is some debate about the definition of mainstream, but it is generally agreed that if an idea is published, it is considered mainstream.
Ultimaton
My topic was pulled by the moderator for being too speclative. Can anyone give me advice as to a proper forum for speclative physics discussions where we could discuss new ideas constructively with knowledgeable posters?

Thanks in Advance,

Ultimaton

Physics news on Phys.org
Ultimaton,

There are many forums where you can post speculative theories, such as sciforums.com.

The difficulty is that knowledgeable posters often quickly tire of forums which permit speculation.

- Warren

Thanks for the answer.

Who decides what is speclative, and what are good and maybe valid questions about current theory?

chroot said:
Ultimaton,

There are many forums where you can post speculative theories, such as sciforums.com.

The difficulty is that knowledgeable posters often quickly tire of forums which permit speculation.

- Warren

Ultimaton said:
Thanks for the answer.

Who decides what is speclative, and what are good and maybe valid questions about current theory?

Physics rules, to which all members agree when they register, state

It is against our Posting Guidelines to discuss, in most of the PF forums, new or non-mainstream theories or ideas that have not been published in professional peer-reviewed journals or are not part of current professional mainstream scientific discussion.

In other words,

not [ (not published) or (not mainstream))].

This is logically equivalent to

(published) and (mainstream).

Consequently, posts must be about ideas that satisfy both: 1) published; 2) mainstream.

Sometimes moderating decisions are made after discussion between Mentors, but often Mentors operate individually, as I did in your case.

George Jones said:
Physics rules, to which all members agree when they register, state

In other words,

not [ (not published) or (not mainstream))].

This is logically equivalent to

Consequently, posts must be about ideas that satisfy both: 1) published; 2) mainstream.

Sometimes moderating decisions are made after discussion between Mentors, but often Mentors operate individually, as I did in your case.

I thought it was (mainstream) or (published)...

Well, I think pretty much by definition if it's mainstream, it's published. The converse, of course, is not necessarily true.

NeoDevin said:
I thought it was (mainstream) or (published)...

My interpretation of
Physics Forums Rules said:
It is against our Posting Guidelines to discuss, in most of the PF forums, new or non-mainstream theories or ideas that have not been published in professional peer-reviewed journals or are not part of current professional mainstream scientific discussion.

is: red = not; green = not published; blue = or; purple = not mainstream.

This gives

not [ (not published) or (not mainstream) ],

which, by De Morgan's theorem, is equivalent to

Related to Forum for Speculative Physics Discussions - Advice Needed

1. What is the purpose of the "Forum for Speculative Physics Discussions - Advice Needed"?

The purpose of this forum is to provide a platform for scientists and enthusiasts to discuss and share their ideas, theories, and speculations about physics-related topics. It is a place to seek advice, feedback, and engage in meaningful discussions about the latest advancements in the field of physics.

2. Who can participate in this forum?

Anyone with a passion for physics and a desire to engage in respectful and constructive discussions can participate in this forum. This includes scientists, students, and enthusiasts from all backgrounds and levels of expertise.

3. Are there any guidelines for posting on this forum?

Yes, there are guidelines in place to ensure that discussions are productive and respectful. These include using evidence-based arguments, avoiding personal attacks, and staying on topic. Please refer to the forum's guidelines for more details.

4. Can I ask for advice on my own research or theories?

Yes, you are welcome to seek advice on your own research or theories. However, keep in mind that this forum is not a platform for peer-review and any feedback you receive should not be considered as a substitute for proper scientific evaluation.

5. How can I contribute to the forum?

There are multiple ways to contribute to this forum. You can start by actively participating in discussions, sharing your ideas and knowledge, and providing constructive feedback to others. You can also help by promoting the forum to others who may be interested and by following the forum's guidelines to maintain a positive and respectful environment.