Constant acceleration motion problem,

In summary: You're welcome. You did a good job setting up and solving the problem. It makes it a lot easier to help when we get to see all of your work like that. :)
chroncile

Homework Statement

An arrow is shot vertically upward with an initial speed of 25 m/s. Two seconds later, another arrow is shot upward with the same speed. On its way up, the second arrow meets the first arrow on its way down. Assume that both arrows experience a constant downward acceleration of 9.8 m/s2.

How long does it take (from the time the first arrow is shot) for the arrows to meet?

Homework Equations

d = vf * t - 0.5(a)(t)2
tA1 = tA2 + 2

The Attempt at a Solution

dA1 = 25t - 4.9t2
dA2 = 25t - 4.9t2

Since dA1 = dA2

25tA1 - 4.9tA12 = 25tA2 - 4.9tA22

Since tA1 = tA2 + 2

25(tA2 + 2) - 4.9(tA2 + 2)2 = 25tA2 - 4.9tA22

19.6t = 50-19.6
t = 1.55 s

The correct answer is 3.55 s

Physics news on Phys.org
chroncile said:

Homework Statement

An arrow is shot vertically upward with an initial speed of 25 m/s. Two seconds later, another arrow is shot upward with the same speed. On its way up, the second arrow meets the first arrow on its way down. Assume that both arrows experience a constant downward acceleration of 9.8 m/s2.

How long does it take (from the time the first arrow is shot) for the arrows to meet?

Homework Equations

d = vf * t - 0.5(a)(t)2
tA1 = tA2 + 2

The Attempt at a Solution

dA1 = 25t - 4.9t2
dA2 = 25t - 4.9t2

Since dA1 = dA2

25tA1 - 4.9tA12 = 25tA2 - 4.9tA22

Since tA1 = tA2 + 2

25(tA2 + 2) - 4.9(tA2 + 2)2 = 25tA2 - 4.9tA22

19.6t = 50-19.6
t = 1.55 s

The correct answer is 3.55 s

I believe it's just that you have this equation off: tA1 = tA2 + 2

The 2nd arrow is shot 2 seconds after the first, not the other way around. Does that fix it?

berkeman said:
I believe it's just that you have this equation off: tA1 = tA2 + 2

The 2nd arrow is shot 2 seconds after the first, not the other way around. Does that fix it?

Actually, the only error is related to that equation. You forgot to add the 2 seconds to the time of the 2nd arrow being shot. You solved tor t2, and they asked for t1.

I tried switching them around, but I still ended up with 1.55 s, help?

chroncile said:
I tried switching them around, but I still ended up with 1.55 s, help?

Did you see my last post about adding the 2 seconds?

Can you please explain that?

chroncile said:
Can you please explain that?

The solution you got is for the time from firing the 2nd arrow up. But you fired the 1st arrow 2 seconds earlier. Therefore the time for the arrows to meet from the time you fired the first arrow is 1.55s + 2.0s = 3.55s.

Okay, I get it now, thanks :smile:

chroncile said:
Okay, I get it now, thanks :smile:

You're welcome. You did a good job setting up and solving the problem. It makes it a lot easier to help when we get to see all of your work like that.

FAQ: Constant acceleration motion problem,

1. What is constant acceleration motion?

Constant acceleration motion is when an object moves in a straight line and its velocity changes by the same amount every second.

2. How is constant acceleration different from uniform motion?

Uniform motion is when an object moves at a constant speed without changing its direction. Constant acceleration, on the other hand, involves a change in velocity over time.

3. What is the formula for calculating constant acceleration?

The formula for constant acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

4. How do you solve a constant acceleration motion problem?

To solve a constant acceleration motion problem, you can use the formula a = (vf - vi) / t to find the acceleration. Then, you can use the equation vf = vi + at to find the final velocity. Finally, you can use the equation d = vit + (1/2)at^2 to find the distance traveled.

5. What are some real-life examples of constant acceleration motion?

Some real-life examples of constant acceleration motion include a car accelerating on a straight road, a ball falling due to gravity, and a rollercoaster going down a hill.