Quantum Mechanics Questions: Superposition, Bohm Mechanics

• Thread starter StevieTNZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quantum
In summary, the accepted definition of superposition is that a system is in a state that is a combination of two or more other states.
StevieTNZ
Hey there,

I am very interested in Quantum Mechanics and its philosophical implications. Here are a few questions:

1. What is the accepted definition of superposition? If we used an object, for example, and its position, a superposition would say it is in two or more places at once? Would those 'position values' be real, as in the object actually existing in two different places, or would the wavefunction permit no object existing at any position - then the wavefunction would merely describe potential positions an object could be at?

2. I see Bohm Mechanics has been up for discussion a lot on this forum. I've seen a lot of articles about non-local realism and inequalities testing such a notion. Has Bohm Mechanics actually be falisfied (e.g. by the Before-Before experiment)? I saw an article on Nature entitled 'An Experimental Test of Non-Local Realism' [Sept. 2007] but was the defined realism in that article the same kind of realism Bohm Mechanics is implying?

Thanks for any answers on either question! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
StevieTNZ said:
1. What is the accepted definition of superposition?
The least mathematical answer I can give you is that if A and B are two possible results of a measurement, and the system has been prepared in a state such that the theory predicts that the probabilities P(A) and P(B) of getting the results A and B respectively, satisfy neither (P(A)=0 and P(B)=1) nor (P(A)=1 and P(B)=0), then the system is said to be in a superposition of the states associated with A and B.

What I mean by "the state associated with X" is the state the system is in after going through a preparation procedure that guarantees that the result will be X, i.e. a preparation procedure such that P(X)=1.
StevieTNZ said:
If we used an object, for example, and its position, a superposition would say it is in two or more places at once? Would those 'position values' be real, as in the object actually existing in two different places,...
It's important to understand that the theory doesn't answer such questions. The so-called "interpretations" of quantum mechanics are attempts to answer them. Different interpretations may give you different answers. Note that interpretations aren't theories. They are simply additional assumptions tacked onto the theory that don't change the theory's predictions. They are strictly speaking not a part of science.

There are many-worlds interpretations in which the particle can be said to be in both places. Some would say that "objective collapse" interpretations also describe the particle as being in two places, and they're probably right about that, but I doubt that any of those interpretations is even consistent.

I think the most useful way to think about QM is as a set of rules that tells us how to calculate probabilities of possible results of experiments. Don't think of a wavefunction as a representation of what "actually happens". Think of it as a probability measure, i.e. a function you use to assign probabilities to possibilities.
StevieTNZ said:
...then the wavefunction would merely describe potential positions an object could be at?
In quantum mechanics, the mathematical representation of "either here or there" is different than "superposition of here and there", and they lead to different predictions. So we can say with certainty that it's not the case that "superposition of here and there" really means "either here or there".

Last edited:
Fredrik said:
In quantum mechanics, the mathematical representation of "either here or there" is different than "superposition of here and there", and they lead to different predictions. So we can say with certainty that it's not the case that "superposition of here and there" really means "either here or there".

Just to make sure I understand what you've posted in the quote section;
A superposition doesn't mean that the particle exists in those probabilities - merely it only show us what could happen but which don't exist until measurement?

E.g. superposition of points A and B - the particle doesn't exist at either point A or B.

StevieTNZ said:
Just to make sure I understand what you've posted in the quote section;
A superposition doesn't mean that the particle exists in those probabilities - merely it only show us what could happen but which don't exist until measurement?

E.g. superposition of points A and B - the particle doesn't exist at either point A or B.
That's right, because in terms of state operators (density matrices) "either at A or at B" would be expressed as

[tex]\frac{1}{2}|A\rangle\langle A|+\frac{1}{2}|B\rangle\langle B|[/tex]

while a superposition of A and B would be something like

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\left(|A\rangle+|B\rangle\right)\left(\langle A|+\langle B|\right)\right)=\frac{1}{2}\left(|A\rangle\langle A|+|A\rangle\langle B|+|B\rangle\langle A|+|B\rangle\langle B|\right)[/tex]

Never mind if you don't understand what these expressions mean. The point is that the two situations "either A or B" and "superposition of A and B" are represented by different state operators, and lead to different predictions about results of experiments.

Related to Quantum Mechanics Questions: Superposition, Bohm Mechanics

1. What is superposition in quantum mechanics?

Superposition is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics that states that a physical system can exist in multiple states simultaneously. This means that an object can exist in two or more places, or have two or more properties, at the same time.

2. How is superposition related to the Schrodinger equation?

The Schrodinger equation is a mathematical expression that describes how the quantum state of a physical system evolves over time. It is the basis for predicting the probability of a particle being in a certain state. Superposition is a key concept in the Schrodinger equation, as it allows for the possibility of multiple states existing simultaneously.

3. What is Bohm mechanics and how does it differ from other interpretations of quantum mechanics?

Bohm mechanics, also known as the pilot-wave theory, is an interpretation of quantum mechanics that suggests that particles have definite positions and trajectories, even at the quantum level. This differs from other interpretations, such as the Copenhagen interpretation, which states that particles do not have definite properties until they are observed.

4. Can superposition and Bohm mechanics be observed in the macroscopic world?

While superposition and Bohm mechanics are commonly observed at the quantum level, it is not typically observed in the macroscopic world. This is because larger objects, such as everyday objects, have too many particles and interactions for superposition and Bohm mechanics to be sustained.

5. What are some practical applications of superposition and Bohm mechanics?

Superposition and Bohm mechanics have many practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and cryptography. They also play a crucial role in technologies like transistors, which are used in electronic devices. Additionally, these concepts have been used in experiments to study quantum phenomena and test the validity of quantum mechanics.