Equivalent definitions for the norm of a linear functional

In summary: The only sequence (x_n) I've managed to find so far isx_n(t) = \begin{cases} 0 & t \geq \frac{1}{n+1} \\ n(n+1)t & \frac{1}{n+1} > t > \frac{1}{n} \\ n(n+1)\left(\frac{2}{n}-t\right) & \frac{1}{n} \geq t > \frac{2}{n+1} \\ 0 & t \leq \frac{2}{n+1} \end{cases}which (I think) converges to \sqrt{2} in the
AxiomOfChoice
Can someone please explain why the following three definitions for the norm of a bounded linear functional are equivalent?

[tex]
\| f \| = \sup_{0 < \|x\| < 1} \frac{|f(x)|}{\| x \|},
[/tex]

and

[tex]
\| f \| = \sup_{0 < \| x \| \leq 1} \frac{|f(x)|}{\| x \|},
[/tex]

and

[tex]
\| f \| = \sup_{\| x \| = 1} \frac{|f(x)|}{\| x \|} = \sup_{\| x \| = 1} |f(x)|.
[/tex]

(Thanks to micromass for reminding me about the last equality.) Every book I have just asserts their equivalence but provides no explanation. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is evident that

[tex]\sup_{0<\|x\|<1}{\frac{|f(x)|}{\|x\|}}\leq \sup_{0<\|x\|\leq 1}{\frac{|f(x)|}{\|x\|}}[/tex]We will now prove:

[tex]\sup_{0<\|x\|\leq 1}{\frac{|f(x)|}{\|x\|}}\leq \sup_{\|x\|=1}{|f(x)|}[/tex]

Let's assume that (xn) is a sequence with [tex]0<\|x_n\|\leq 1[/tex], and such that

[tex]\frac{|f(x_n)|}{\|x_n\|}\rightarrow \sup_{0<\|x\|\leq 1}{\frac{|f(x)|}{\|x\|}}[/tex]

Now, we put [tex]y_n=x_n/\|x_n\|[/tex]. Then [tex]\|y_n\|=1[/tex]. Furthermore:

[tex]|f(y_n)|=\frac{|f(x_n)|}{\|x_n\|}\rightarrow \sup_{0<\|x\|\leq 1}{\frac{|f(x)|}{\|x\|}}[/tex]

This proves that the inequality must hold.

We will now prove

[tex]\sup_{\|x\|=1}{|f(x)|}\leq \sup_{0<\|x\|<1}{\frac{|f(x)|}{\|x\|}}[/tex]

Assume that (xn) is a sequence such that [tex]\|x_n\|=1[/tex] and such that

[tex]|f(x_n)|\rightarrow \sup_{\|x\|=1}{|f(x)|}[/tex]

Now, we put [tex]y_n=\frac{n-1}{n}x_n[/tex], then [tex]0<\|y_n\|<1[/tex], and

[tex]\frac{|f(y_n)|}{\|y_n\|}=|f(x_n)|\rightarrow \sup_{\|x\|=1}{|f(x)|}[/tex]

This proves that this inequality must also hold.

Either your book has a different definition of the operator norm, or there are some typos in the first post. The norm I'm familiar with can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operator_norm#Equivalent_definitions.

Let's call the norms

(1) [tex] \sup\{\|f(x)\| : \|x\| \leq 1 \} [/tex]

(2) [tex] \sup\{\|f(x)\| : \|x\| = 1 \} [/tex]

(3) [tex] \sup \left\{\frac{\|f(x)\|}{\|x\|} : x \neq 0\right\} [/tex]

(1) is equivalent to (2) because a linear functional on will attain its maximum on the boundary of the set, i.e., when [itex] \|x\|=1[/itex].

(2) is equivalent to (3) because f is linear, so cf(x) = f(cx). Then if x is nonzero, we have

[tex]
\frac{\|f(x)\|}{\|x\|} = \left\|f\left(\frac{x}{\|x\|}\right)\right\|
[/tex]

and [itex] \frac{x}{\|x\|} [/itex] has norm 1.

these all look trivially the same just from the definition of linear.

i.e. if x is any non zero vector and c is any non zero scalar then f(cx) = cf(x),

so |f(x)|/||x|| = (c/c)(|f(x)|/||x||) = |f(cx)|/||cx||.

Thus |f(x)|/||x|| is constant on lines through the origin.

This proves immediately that all limits in all posts above are the same, since the sets of

quotients are all the same.

micromass said:
It is evident that

[tex]\sup_{0<\|x\|<1}{\frac{|f(x)|}{\|x\|}}\leq \sup_{0<\|x\|\leq 1}{\frac{|f(x)|}{\|x\|}}[/tex]

We will now prove:

[tex]\sup_{0<\|x\|\leq 1}{\frac{|f(x)|}{\|x\|}}\leq \sup_{\|x\|=1}{|f(x)|}[/tex]

Let's assume that (xn) is a sequence with [tex]0<\|x_n\|\leq 1[/tex], and such that

[tex]\frac{|f(x_n)|}{\|x_n\|}\rightarrow \sup_{0<\|x\|\leq 1}{\frac{|f(x)|}{\|x\|}}[/tex]

Now, we put [tex]y_n=x_n/\|x_n\|[/tex]. Then [tex]\|y_n\|=1[/tex]. Furthermore:

[tex]|f(y_n)|=\frac{|f(x_n)|}{\|x_n\|}\rightarrow \sup_{0<\|x\|\leq 1}{\frac{|f(x)|}{\|x\|}}[/tex]

This proves that the inequality must hold.

We will now prove

[tex]\sup_{\|x\|=1}{|f(x)|}\leq \sup_{0<\|x\|<1}{\frac{|f(x)|}{\|x\|}}[/tex]

Assume that (xn) is a sequence such that [tex]\|x_n\|=1[/tex] and such that

[tex]|f(x_n)|\rightarrow \sup_{\|x\|=1}{|f(x)|}[/tex]

Now, we put [tex]y_n=\frac{n-1}{n}x_n[/tex], then [tex]0<\|y_n\|<1[/tex], and

[tex]\frac{|f(y_n)|}{\|y_n\|}=|f(x_n)|\rightarrow \sup_{\|x\|=1}{|f(x)|}[/tex]

This proves that this inequality must also hold.

Thanks; I like this proof a lot. And I think I understand the argument, provided I'm correct about this detail: "If A and B are sets, and there is a sequence of points in B that converge to [itex]\sup A[/itex], then we have [itex]\sup A \leq \sup B[/itex]." That's correct, right? Since [itex]\alpha = \sup B[/itex] only if there is a sequence of points in [itex]B[/itex] converging to [itex]\alpha[/itex].

AxiomOfChoice said:
Thanks; I like this proof a lot. And I think I understand the argument, provided I'm correct about this detail: "If A and B are sets, and there is a sequence of points in B that converge to [itex]\sup A[/itex], then we have [itex]\sup A \leq \sup B[/itex]." That's correct, right? Since [itex]\alpha = \sup B[/itex] only if there is a sequence of points in [itex]B[/itex] converging to [itex]\alpha[/itex].

Yes, that is basically the idea of what I was trying to do :biggrin:

if two sets if numbers are the same numbers , then their sups are also the same. done.

Incidentally, my professor claims that if we define [itex](Tx)(t)= tx(t)[/itex] (just multiplication by the independent variable) on [itex]L^2[0,1][/itex] (square-integrable functions on [itex][0,1][/itex]), we have [itex]\| T \| = 1[/itex]. I get why we have [itex]\| T \| \leq 1[/itex], but I don't see how we can get [itex]\| T \| \geq 1[/itex]. Does anyone see this?

The trick to prove [itex]\|T\|\leq\text{something}[/itex] is usually to find an upper bound of the set for which [itex]\|T\|[/itex] is the least upper bound. The trick to prove [itex]\|T\|\geq\text{something}[/itex] is usually to use that [itex]\|T\|[/itex] is [itex]\geq[/itex] every member of that set. So you should look for a specific member of that set that solves the problem. (I haven't actually done it for this problem).

By the way, my answer to the question in #1 is that if [itex]T:X\rightarrow Y[/itex] is a bounded linear operator, and we define

[tex]\begin{align*}
A &=\bigg\{\frac{\|Tx\|}{\|x\|}\,\bigg|\, x\in X,\ x\neq 0\bigg\}\\
B &=\bigg\{\frac{\|Tx\|}{\|x\|}\,\bigg|\, x\in X,\ 0<\|x\|\leq 1\bigg\}\\
C &=\Big\{\|Tx\|\,\Big|\, x\in X, \|x\|=1\Big\},
\end{align*}[/tex]

then A=B=C. So don't worry about the supremums. Just show that the sets are the same.

I realize that the question had already been answered (and that my answer is identical to mathwonk's), but I had this already LaTeXed in my personal notes.

Last edited:
Fredrik said:
The trick to prove [itex]\|T\|\leq\text{something}[/itex] is usually to find an upper bound of the set for which [itex]\|T\|[/itex] is the least upper bound. The trick to prove [itex]\|T\|\geq\text{something}[/itex] is usually to use that [itex]\|T\|[/itex] is [itex]\geq[/itex] every member of that set. So you should look for a specific member of that set that solves the problem. (I haven't actually done it for this problem).

Right; that's what I'm trying to do (so far, without success).

Fredrik said:

By the way, my answer to the question in #1 is that if [itex]T:X\rightarrow Y[/itex] is a bounded linear operator, and we define

[tex]\begin{align*}
A &=\bigg\{\frac{\|Tx\|}{\|x\|}\,\bigg|\, x\in X,\ x\neq 0\bigg\}\\
B &=\bigg\{\frac{\|Tx\|}{\|x\|}\,\bigg|\, x\in X,\ 0<\|x\|\leq 1\bigg\}\\
C &=\Big\{\|Tx\|\,\Big|\, x\in X, \|x\|=1\Big\},
\end{align*}[/tex]

then A=B=C. So don't worry about the supremums. Just show that the sets are the same.

I realize that the question had already been answered, but I had this already LaTeXed in my personal notes.

Ok, I'm confused. If

[tex]
\| T \| = \sup_{x\neq 0} \frac{\| Tx \|}{\| x \|},
[/tex]

then to show we have [itex]\| T \| \geq 1[/itex], we need to show that there is a nonzero x such that the expression above is equal to 1. But this means

[tex]
\| Tx \| = \sqrt{\int_0^1 t^2 |x(t)|^2 dt} = \sqrt{\int_0^1 |x(t)|^2 dt} = \| x \|,
[/tex]

which implies

[tex]
\int_0^1 |x(t)|^2 (t^2 - 1)dt = 0.
[/tex]

But this can't be! On [0,1], [itex](t^2 - 1)[/itex] is negative, but [itex]|x(t)|^2[/itex] is positive! And there's no way the integral can be zero unless the product is positive in some places and negative in others! Am I wrong here?

My professor stated [itex]\| T \| = 1[/itex] without proof, so I can't imagine it's this hard...

Last edited:
...actually, now that I think about it, I guess it would be sufficient to come up with a sequence [itex]x_n(t) \in L^2[0,1][/itex] such that

[tex]
\frac{\int_0^1 t^2 |x_n(t)|^2 dt}{\int_0^1 |x_n(t)|^2 dt} \to 1.
[/tex]

Can anyone think of such a sequence? I can't really do it...:frown:

Note that L^2[0,1] contains more than the continuous functions!

For every [itex]0<\epsilon<1[/itex], let [itex]A_{\epsilon}:=\{t\in[0,1]\ |\ t\geq 1-\epsilon\}[/itex]. It has finite Lebesgue measure [itex]\mu(A_\epsilon)=\epsilon[/itex]. Then, for [itex]f=\chi_{A_\epsilon}\in L^2[0,1][/itex] the characteristic function of this set, we have

[tex]\|f\|^2=\int_{1-\epsilon}^1 dt=\epsilon[/tex];
[tex]\|Tf\|^2=\int_{1-\epsilon}^1 |t|^2dt\geq \epsilon (1-\epsilon)^2[/tex].

Hence

[tex]\|T\|=\sup_{g} \frac{\|Tg\|}{\|g}\geq \frac{\|Tf\|}{\|f}\geq 1-\epsilon[/tex].

But 0<epsilon<1 was arbitrary, so [itex]\|T\|=1[/itex].

This argument can be generalized to prove that the multiplication operator

[tex]T_{\phi}:L^2[0,1]\to L^2[0,1][/tex]
[tex]f\mapsto f\phi[/tex]

has norm equal to the essential supremum of \phi. (Indeed, \phi(t)=t has (essential) supremum on [0,1] equal to 1.)

Last edited:
Landau said:
Note that L^2[0,1] contains more than the continuous functions!

For every [itex]0<\epsilon<1[/itex], let [itex]A_{\epsilon}:=\{t\in[0,1]\ |\ t\geq 1-\epsilon\}[/itex]. It has finite Lebesgue measure [itex]\mu(A_\epsilon)=\epsilon[/itex]. Then, for [itex]f=\chi_{A_\epsilon}\in L^2[0,1][/itex] the characteristic function of this set, we have

[tex]\|f\|^2=\int_{1-\epsilon}^1 dt=\epsilon[/tex];
[tex]\|Tf\|^2=\int_{1-\epsilon}^1 |t|^2dt\geq \epsilon (1-\epsilon)^2[/tex].

Hence

[tex]\|T\|=\sup_{g} \frac{\|Tg\|}{\|g}\geq \frac{\|Tf\|}{\|f}\geq 1-\epsilon[/tex].

But 0<epsilon<1 was arbitrary, so [itex]\|T\|=1[/itex].

This argument can be generalized to prove that the multiplication operator

[tex]T_{\phi}:L^2[0,1]\to L^2[0,1][/tex]
[tex]f\mapsto f\phi[/tex]

has norm equal to the essential supremum of \phi. (Indeed, \phi(t)=t has (essential) supremum on [0,1] equal to 1.)

You're right; this works. Thanks a lot Landau! I've also managed to think of the following example: If you look at [itex]x_n = \sqrt n \chi_{[1-1/n,1]}[/itex], I think this sequence has the property that [itex]\| Tx_n \| / \| x_n \| \to 1[/itex].

Well, sure. It's basically what I just wrote, with epsilon=1/n, and a factor sqrt{n} (which seems unnecessary) in front of it.

Related to Equivalent definitions for the norm of a linear functional

1. What is a linear functional?

A linear functional is a mathematical function that maps a vector space to its underlying field of scalars. It is a type of linear transformation that takes in a vector and outputs a scalar value.

2. What is a norm?

A norm is a mathematical concept that measures the size or magnitude of a vector or matrix. It is essentially a distance metric that assigns a non-negative value to each vector, with the property that the norm of a zero vector is equal to zero.

3. How are linear functionals and norms related?

A linear functional can be used to define a norm on a vector space. The norm of a linear functional is the maximum value that the functional can take on any vector in the vector space.

4. What are some equivalent definitions for the norm of a linear functional?

Some equivalent definitions for the norm of a linear functional include the supremum norm, the operator norm, and the dual norm. These definitions may vary slightly in their specific mathematical formulations, but they all ultimately measure the size or magnitude of the linear functional.

5. Why are equivalent definitions for the norm of a linear functional important?

Having multiple equivalent definitions for the norm of a linear functional allows us to choose the most appropriate definition for a particular problem or application. It also helps us to better understand the properties and behaviors of linear functionals and their corresponding norms.