Relation between coherent and Fock states of light

In summary, coherent states of light, which correspond to classical EM waves, are eigenstates of non-Hermitian annihilation operators. Fock states, on the other hand, are eigenstates of Hermitian number operators. Coherent states can be expressed as a superposition of Fock states, but it is not clear if the reverse is possible. The "classicality" of coherent states refers to the factorization of joint probabilities of photon counts at spacelike points. The decomposition of any state into coherent states is not unique, and the original Glauber's papers or a good QO textbook can be consulted for calculations and usefulness of coherent state representation. The Glauber-Sudarshan P representation is also
sweet springs
Hi.

Coherent states of light, which correspond to classical em wave, are eigenstates of non-Hermite annihilation operator. Fock states are eigenstates of Hermite number operator. Are Fock states are expressed by combination of coherent states? If yes, how?

Thank you in advance.

ref. https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=530937

Physics news on Phys.org
Look for the Wikipedia page "Coherent States", and on that page search for "representation"

Hi Bill, on that page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coherent_states

It describes decomposing a coherent state as a superposition of Fock states, but as far as I can tell it doesn't describe the other way around, decomposing a Fock state as a superposition of coherent states. Do you know if that is possible?

DaleSpam said:
Hi Bill, on that page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coherent_states

It describes decomposing a coherent state as a superposition of Fock states, but as far as I can tell it doesn't describe the other way around, decomposing a Fock state as a superposition of coherent states. Do you know if that is possible?

The decomposition of any state (pure or mixed) into superposition of coherent states was the central result of the coherent states formalism (follow up on Glauber-Sudarshan P representation in that wiki article). Note also that the coherent states are not mutually orthogonal (since anihilation operator is not Hermitean) and that they form over-complete basis, hence the decomposition of arbitrary field state into coherent states is not unique (thus, there are other decompositions besides the canonical G-S P representation).

Hi, nightlight. Thanks for your teaching.

From formula in Wiki |α> = e^(-|α|^2 /2) ( |0> + α|1> + ... ) disregarding higher orders of α for |α|<<1
|α> = |0> + α|1> so coherent state of very weak light is superposition of almost vacuum and small poriton linear to α of one photon Fock state, I think.

Though coherent states are eigenstates of non Hermitian annihilation operators, why we can regard them corresponding to classical em wave ? I believe only observables, i.e. Herimite operators, should have classical correspondents. Am I wrong?

May I write Fock state |0>=D^-1(α)|α> where |α> is coherent state and D(α)=exp(α a+ - α* a) or D^-1(α)=exp(|α|^2/2)exp( - α a+) ?
Though I do not know the way of practical calculation.

Regards.

Last edited:
The idea is to prove something like

[itex]1 = c\, \int_\mathbb{C}dz\,d\bar{z}\,|z\rangle\langle z|[/itex]

and to express the coherent states in terms of Fock states.

Using

[itex]z^n = r^n\,e^{in\phi}[/itex]

one can rewrite the integral and use the phi-integration

[itex]\int_0^{2\pi} d\phi\,e^{i(m-n)\phi} = \delta_{mn}[/itex]

Last edited:
sweet springs said:
Hi, nightlight. Thanks for your teaching.

From formula in Wiki |α> = e^(-|α|^2 /2) ( |0> + α|1> + ... ) disregarding higher orders of α for |α|<<1
|α> = |0> + α|1> so coherent state of very weak light is superposition of almost vacuum and small poriton linear to α of one photon Fock state, I think.

Though coherent states are eigenstates of non Hermitian annihilation operators, why we can regard them corresponding to classical em wave ? I believe only observables, i.e. Herimite operators, should have classical correspondents. Am I wrong?

The "classicality" here means that the joint probabilities of photon counts at spacelike points factorizes (just as it would do if for the classical EM field). The largest class of "classical" states in that sense consists of all superpositions of coherent states with positive, non-singular P(alpha).

May I write Fock state |0>=D^-1(α)|α> where |α> is coherent state and D(α)=exp(α a+ - α* a) or D^-1(α)=exp(|α|^2/2)exp( - α a+) ?
Though I do not know the way of practical calculation.

In the coherent state decomposition the vacuum state |0> uses displacement operator D(0). For calculations and usefulness of coherent state representation, check the original Glabuer's papers (from early 1960s) or a good QO textbook, e.g. chap 11 in L. Mandel, E. Wolf "Optical Coherence and Quantum Optics" Cambridge Univ. Press., 1995.

nightlight said:
The decomposition of any state (pure or mixed) into superposition of coherent states was the central result of the coherent states formalism (follow up on Glauber-Sudarshan P representation in that wiki article). Note also that the coherent states are not mutually orthogonal (since anihilation operator is not Hermitean) and that they form over-complete basis, hence the decomposition of arbitrary field state into coherent states is not unique (thus, there are other decompositions besides the canonical G-S P representation).

Haven't seen your name in a while... welcome back. :smile:

-DrC

DrChinese said:
Haven't seen your name in a while... welcome back. :smile:

-DrC

Oh, I drop by here every few days. But I am way too busy with my day job to join discussions.

nightlight said:
(follow up on Glauber-Sudarshan P representation in that wiki article)
Thanks, that is what I needed.

Related to Relation between coherent and Fock states of light

1. What is the difference between coherent and Fock states of light?

Coherent states of light are classical states that exhibit a well-defined phase and amplitude, while Fock states are quantum states with a well-defined number of photons. This means that coherent states have a continuous distribution of photon numbers, while Fock states have a discrete distribution.

2. How are coherent and Fock states related to each other?

Coherent states can be thought of as a superposition of Fock states, with the number of photons in each Fock state weighted by the amplitude of the coherent state. In other words, coherent states are a linear combination of Fock states, with the amplitude of each Fock state representing the probability of finding that number of photons in the coherent state.

3. Can coherent and Fock states of light be observed in the same experiment?

Yes, both coherent and Fock states have been experimentally observed in various systems such as optical cavities and superconducting circuits. However, the methods for preparing and detecting these states differ, as coherent states are typically generated using classical sources of light, while Fock states require specific quantum systems.

4. What are the applications of coherent and Fock states of light?

Coherent states are commonly used in classical optics for applications such as interferometry and telecommunications. Fock states, on the other hand, have potential applications in quantum information processing, including quantum computing and quantum communication.

5. Can coherent and Fock states be used together in quantum information processing?

Yes, coherent and Fock states can be used in combination for certain quantum information processing tasks. For example, Fock states can be used as a resource for quantum teleportation, while coherent states can be used for error correction and readout in quantum communication protocols.