Calculating Work done by Friction

In summary, the block of mass 18.0 kg slides down an 6.0 metre long ramp inclined at 56.0 degrees to the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the ramp and the block is 0.48, so 421.178 J of work is done by friction.
reaperkid

Homework Statement

Alrighty, I have most of this set but I'm getting the wrong answer and I'm not sure why.

A block of mass 18.0 kg is sliding down an 6.0 metre long ramp inclined at 56.0 deg. to the horizontal. If the coefficient of kinetic friction between the ramp and the block is 0.48, how much work is done by friction as the block moves from the top to the bottom of the ramp ?

m = 18kg
d = 6 m
Theta = 56 degrees
mu = .48

Homework Equations

W = Fd
F = ma
mu = fk / fn

The Attempt at a Solution

First I calculated work done by gravity. . .
W(g) = Fd = (18)(9.8)(6)(cos 56) = 591.85 J

Then I attempted to calculate the work done by friction. . .
W(f) = (.48*18*9.8*6*sin56) = 421.178 J

I tried that as a negative number as well, since the distance is negative.

So, clearly I'm missing something.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
fk = mu*fn
And fn = mg*cos56

rl.bhat said:
fk = mu*fn
And fn = mg*cos56

Oh, should I be using cosine then??

I think your solution seems right. By definition the work done by friction is W = f (dot) d and f = muN = mu mgcos(theta). So W = fdcos(180deg). Its 180 degrees because f and d are in opposite directions. Then like you have it W = - fd = mu d mgcos(theta). It should be negative I think.

The only thing left to check that i can think of is if the work energy theorem is satisfied you can check that Wnet = the change in kinetic energy. I think you can do that by finding the final velocity of the object through kinematics. Wnet = Wg + Wf. If that checks then you can make sure that your answer is correct.

I hope this helps a little or makes it more clear...

Last edited:
Hells_Kitchen said:
I think your solution seems right. By definition the work done by friction is W = f (dot) d and f = muN = mu mgsin(theta). So W = fdcos(180deg). Its 180 degrees because f and d are in opposite directions. Then like you have it W = - fd = mu d mgsin(theta). It should be negative I think.

The only thing left to check that i can think of is if the work energy theorem is satisfied you can check that Wnet = the change in kinetic energy. I think you can do that by finding the final velocity of the object through kinematics. Wnet = Wg + Wf. If that checks then you can make sure that your answer is correct.

I hope this helps a little or makes it more clear...

Hmm, I don't get it.

Oh, well I just used my last guess. (It's online, we get 5 tries per question to get credit)

Thanks for the responses though!

Related to Calculating Work done by Friction

What is friction and how does it affect work?

Friction is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact. It affects work by reducing the amount of energy transferred from one object to another. This means that more work must be done to achieve the same result.

How is work done by friction calculated?

The work done by friction is calculated by multiplying the force of friction by the distance over which it acts. The formula is: W = F * d, where W is work, F is the force of friction, and d is the distance.

What are some real-life examples of work done by friction?

Some real-life examples of work done by friction include slowing down a moving car by applying brakes, rubbing your hands together to create heat, and using sandpaper to sand down a wooden surface.

Can the work done by friction ever be negative?

Yes, the work done by friction can be negative. This occurs when the direction of motion is opposite to the direction of the force of friction. In this case, the work done by friction takes energy away from the system and is considered negative.

How does the coefficient of friction affect the work done by friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of how rough or smooth the surfaces in contact are. A higher coefficient of friction means more frictional force, which results in more work being done. A lower coefficient of friction means less frictional force and less work being done.