Seeking Advice: Sources for an In-Class Essay on Authority and Rebellion

• Thread starter aek
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about seeking advice for an in-class essay on "Authority and Rebellion". The person already chose "The Crucible" as one text and was asking for suggestions for two other texts or poems. Some suggestions given were "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" by Ken Kesey, "1984" by George Orwell, "Animal Farm" by George Orwell, "Lord of the Flies" by William Golding, and "The Chrysalids" by John Wyndham. The person also mentioned the movie "Braveheart" as another possible source.
aek
I know this is an awkward question, but, i would say it's more of seeking advice. I am doing a in-class essay in 3 weeks about "Authority and Rebellion" and i need three different sources to be used in answering an un-seen question. I've decide to use "The Crucible" (Miller), but i need two other texts, poems etc. based upon "Authority and Rebellion. Would anyone be kind enough to suggest any texts to the above criteria?

Thanks

AEK

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you read "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" by Ken Kesey? That book is all about rebelling against authority.

Also, check out "1984" by George Orwell. It's about Big Brother and how the protagonist tries to rebell against BB.

'Animal Farm' by George Orwell is about animals rebelling again other animals that believe they have authority over the other animals and a twist of fate turns this all around on them.

The Bob (2004 ©)

lord of the flies, the chrysalids

thanks guys

brave heart! hehehe

Related to Seeking Advice: Sources for an In-Class Essay on Authority and Rebellion

What are some reliable sources for my essay on authority and rebellion?

Some reliable sources for your essay on authority and rebellion could include academic journals, books written by experts in the field, and reputable news articles from established sources.

How can I find scholarly articles on this topic?

You can use online databases such as JSTOR, Google Scholar, or your university's library website to search for scholarly articles on authority and rebellion. Additionally, you can consult with your professor or a librarian for assistance in finding relevant sources.

Are there any specific historical events or examples I should include in my essay?

It would be beneficial to include specific historical events or examples in your essay to support your arguments. Some examples could include the American Revolution, the French Revolution, or the Civil Rights Movement. However, make sure to choose events that are relevant to your thesis and analysis.

Can I include personal opinions in my essay?

While it is important to present a well-researched and objective analysis, it is also acceptable to include your personal opinions in your essay. However, make sure to back up your opinions with evidence from your sources and clearly distinguish them from factual information.

How should I structure my essay to effectively discuss authority and rebellion?

A common structure for discussing authority and rebellion could include an introduction that provides background information and your thesis statement, followed by body paragraphs that analyze different aspects of authority and rebellion, and a conclusion that summarizes your main points and provides a final thought on the topic. It is important to also use transitional phrases to connect your ideas and provide a logical flow to your essay.