Is $\forall p,q,r \in \mathbb{N}$ Satisfiable?

• Thread starter bomba923
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a mathematical problem involving natural numbers and sets. The problem asks whether for any given natural numbers p, q, and r, there exists a subset of a specific set such that the given conditions are satisfied. An example is provided to illustrate the problem. The conversation then delves into various approaches and ideas for solving the problem, including the use of the division algorithm and the concept of the ring generated by (p/q). Ultimately, it is determined that further analysis is needed to determine if the statement is true or false.
bomba923
Quick question~

Is it true that

[tex] \forall p,q,r \in \mathbb{N} \text{ where } p > q > 0 , [/tex]
[tex] \exists \left\{ {a_0 ,a_1 ,a_2 , \ldots ,a_n } \right\} \subset \bigcup\limits_{i = 0}^{p - 1} {\left\{ {\frac{i}{q}} \right\}} {\text{ such that }}\frac{r}{q} = \sum\limits_{k = 0}^n { a_k \left( \frac{p}{q} \right) ^ k } \;\, ? [/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
:bugeye: Any ideas??

Just an example,

Let [tex]p=3[/tex], [tex]q=2[/tex], and [tex]r=8[/tex].

Thus,
[tex]\bigcup\limits_{i = 0}^{p - 1} {\left\{ {\frac{i}{q}} \right\}} = \left\{ {0,\frac{1}{2},1} \right\} [/tex]

Oh, and [tex] r/q = 8/2 = 4[/tex].

*Now, to satisfy the conditions
[tex]\left\{ {a_0 ,a_1 ,a_2 , \ldots ,a_n } \right\} \subset \bigcup\limits_{i = 0}^{p - 1} {\left\{ {\frac{i}{q}} \right\}}[/tex]
and
[tex]\frac{r}{q} = \sum\limits_{k = 0}^n {a_k \left( {\frac{p}{q}} \right)^k } [/tex]

-Let
[tex]\left\{ {a_0 ,a_1 ,a_2 , \ldots ,a_n } \right\} = \left\{ {1,\frac{1}{2},1} \right\}[/tex]

And so,
[tex]\sum\limits_{k = 0}^n {a_k \left( {\frac{p}{q}} \right)^k} = 1\left( {\frac{3}{2}} \right)^0 + \frac{1}{2}\left( {\frac{3}{2}} \right) + 1\left( {\frac{3}{2}} \right)^2 = 4 = \frac{r}{q}[/tex]

---------------------------
:smile: Again, I ask:

[tex] \forall p,q,r \in \mathbb{N} \text{ where } p > q > 0 , \; \text{does} [/tex]
[tex] \exists \left\{ {a_0 ,a_1 ,a_2 , \ldots ,a_n } \right\} \subset \bigcup\limits_{i = 0}^{p - 1} {\left\{ {\frac{i}{q}} \right\}} {\text{ such that }} \,\frac{r}{q} = \sum\limits_{k = 0}^n { a_k \left( \frac{p}{q} \right) ^ k } \;\, ? [/tex]

Excuse me, but how {1,1/2,1} is a subset of {0,1/2,1} in the above example?

Aditya89 said:
Excuse me, but how {1,1/2,1} is a subset of {0,1/2,1} in the above example?

Because sets don't have "multiple" members. {1, 1/2, 1} is exactly the same as {1/2, 1} which is clearly a subset of {0, 1/2, 1}

Hmm...to prove the original statement, we just have to show that:

[tex]\begin{gathered}
\forall p,q \in \mathbb{N}\;{\text{where }}p > q > 0, \hfill \\
\mathbb{N} \subset \bigcup\limits_{k \geqslant 0} {\left\{ {\sum\limits_{n = 0}^\infty {\left( {\left\lfloor {\frac{k}{{p^n }}} \right\rfloor - p\left\lfloor {\frac{k}{{p^{n + 1} }}} \right\rfloor } \right)\left( {\frac{p}{q}} \right)^n } } \right\}} \hfill \\
\end{gathered} [/tex]

Last edited:
Adopt the convention that 0 is a natural number. Let [itex]\mathbb{Z}_p[/itex] denote the set {0, 1, ..., p-1}. Given naturals r, p, and q such that p > q > 0, the problem can be considered as that of proving that there exists a natural n such that there exists a = (a1, a2, ...) in [itex]A = \mathbb{Z}_p \times \mathbb{Z}_p \times \dots[/itex] such that for all i > n, ai = 0 and

[tex]r = \sum_{k=0}^{\infty}a_i\left(\frac{p}{q}\right)^k[/tex]

Suppose there exists m such that r = (pm+1)/qm. Given an arbitrary element a of A, define deg(a) to be the least natural number such that ak = 0 for all k > deg(a). I claim that given this configuration of r, p, and q (and I'll probably have to add in some extra hypotheses along the way) there exists no a in A satisfying the requirements.

Case 1: deg(a) > m
Case 2: deg(a) = m
Case 3: deg(a) < m

Case 1 implies that the sum that r is supposed to equal to is greater than or equal to (p/q)m+1 which is greater than (pm+1)/qm which equals r, so the sum that is supposed to equal r is greater than r, so doesn't in fact equal r.

Case 2 implies that the sum is equal to:

[tex]\frac{p^m}{q^m} + \sum _{k=0} ^{m}a_k\left(\frac{p}{q}\right)^k[/tex]

where am is in {0, 1, ..., p-2} and the rest of the ak are in {0, 1, ..., p-1}. So we would get:

[tex]r = \frac{p^m}{q^m} + \sum _{k=0} ^{m}a_k\left(\frac{p}{q}\right)^k[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{q^m} = \sum _{k=0} ^{m}a_k\left(\frac{p}{q}\right)^k[/tex]

Hopefully you can see why this is impossible. If am > 0, then the right side is too big by virtue of p being greater than 1. If am = 0, then we get the right side being:

[tex]\sum _{k=0} ^{m-1}a_k\left(\frac{p}{q}\right)^k[/tex]

But this means that you will be able to write the right side in the form z/qm-1 where z is some natural number. So we would get:

[tex]\frac{1}{q^m} = \frac{z}{q^{m-1}}[/tex]

[tex]1 = zq[/tex]

Add the hypothesis that q > 1, and we get a contradiction.

Finally, in case 3, we get:

[tex]\frac{p^m + 1}{q^m} = \sum _{k=0} ^{deg(a)} a_k\left (\frac{p}{q}\right )^k[/tex]

... I'm not sure where to go with this, or even if I'm proving/disproving the right thing. Keeping in mind the left-side has to be an integer, I don't see an easy way to make the above contradictory.

Note that if q = 1, then the whole problem is easy, and the answer is yes. It's just a consequence of the division algorithm, and we'd just be writing r in base p. If you consider the ring generated by (p/q) with the normal addition and multiplication, maybe there is generalized division algorithm that would give the desired result.

Initially, I tried proving that the answer to the question was yes. I tried using the idea of the division algorithm, but then I started thinking that I might have r's that were close to some power of p/q, but off by a small correction term, one that the terms in the sum on the right side couldn't take care of? That's where I got the idea for the r in my above attempt-of-a-proof. But now I'm not sure. The problem in my initial proof (in my attempt to prove the affirmative) is that I was doing what, in the terminology of the "proof" you see above, would amount to taking deg(a)=m, and we already see that won't work. This new proof shows that I would have to take deg(a) < m, and since I've had such a tough time showing that this leads to a contradiction, maybe rather than finding the highest power of (p/q) that divides a given r, and making that your n, I would have to check the specific r. If it is slightly larger than a power of (p/q), then maybe I should make my n one less than that highest power.

-\Essentially, we just have to show whether

[tex]\forall p,q,r \in \mathbb{N}\;{\text{where }}p > q > 0,[/tex]

[tex]\exists \left\{ {a_0,a_1,a_2,\ldots,a_n} \right\} \subset \mathbb{Z} \cap \left[ {0,p - 1} \right] [/tex]

[tex]\text{such that }\,r = \sum\limits_{k = 0}^n {a_k \left( {\frac{p}{q}} \right)^k } [/tex]

Last edited:
[tex]\text{such that }\,r = \sum\limits_{k = 0}^n {a_k \left( {\frac{p}{q}} \right)^k } [/tex]
How big can that sum be? :-p

Some things to note:

If the problem has a solution where gcd(p,q) = 1, then it has a solution for any p, q.

Given gcd(p,q) = 1, two sums are equal iff the coefficients are equal, i.e.

[tex]\sum _{k=0}^na_k\left(\frac{p}{q}\right)^k = \sum _{k=0}^nb_k\left(\frac{p}{q}\right)^k \Leftrightarrow a_i = b_i[/tex]

To prove this, we work by induction on n. When n = 0, this is obvious. Assume it holds for n = m. We want to show it holds for n = m+1. Well, we get:

[tex]\sum _{k=0}^{m+1}a_k\left(\frac{p}{q}\right)^k = \sum _{k=0}^{m+1}b_k\left(\frac{p}{q}\right)^k \Leftrightarrow a_i = b_i[/tex]

[tex]\sum _{k=1}^{m+1}a_kp^kq^{m+1-k} = \sum _{k=1}^{m+1}b_kp^kq^{m+1-k}[/tex]

[tex](a_{m+1} - b_{m+1})p^{m+1} = \sum _{k=0} ^m(b_k - a_k)p^kq^{m+1-k}[/tex]

[tex]p[p^m(a_{m+1} - b_{m+1})] = (b_0 - a_0)q^{m+1} + \sum _{k=1} ^m(b_k - a_k)p^kq^{m+1-k}[/tex]

[tex]p[p^m(a_{m+1} - b_{m+1})] = (b_0 - a_0)q^{m+1} + p\sum _{k=1} ^m(b_k - a_k)p^{k-1}q^{m+1-k}[/tex]

From this, we get that p | (b0 - a0), but since the bi and ai are less than p, this means that (b0 - a0) = 0, giving us that the 0th coefficients are the same. Now since this is zero, we are left with:

[tex]p[p^m(a_{m+1} - b_{m+1})] = p\sum _{k=1} ^m(b_k - a_k)p^{k-1}q^{m+1-k}[/tex]

[tex]p^m(a_{m+1} - b_{m+1}) = \sum _{k=1} ^m(b_k - a_k)p^{k-1}q^{m+1-k}[/tex]

[tex]\sum _{k=0} ^ma_{k+1}p^kq^{m-k} = \sum _{k=0} ^ma_{k+1}p^kq^{m-k}[/tex]

[tex]\sum _{k=0} ^m a_{k+1}\left(\frac{p}{q}\right)^k = \sum _{k=0} ^m b_{k+1}\left(\frac{p}{q}\right)^k[/tex]

[tex]a_1 = b_1, \dots , a_{m+1} = b_{m+1}[/tex]

the last line following from the inductive hypothesis.

We can also look at the problem as that of finding, given coprime p and q, and then given r, some natural n and some ai in {0, 1, ..., p-1} such that

rqn = a0qn + ... + akpkqn-k + ... + anpn

Now it's clear from this that q | an.

Also note that for all r, there is some M such that for all m > M, we get:

rqm < pm

So given an r, there are only so many values for n that could possibly work.

Now I'm not exactly sure how to formulate it, but I was thinking that we could use the pigeonhole principle in some way. We can note that if we have a sum going up to n, then the highest number we can make is:

[tex]\sum _{k=0}^n (p-1)p^kq^{n-k}[/tex]

The number of multiples of qn that are less than or equal to this number is

[tex]fl\left (\frac{(p-1)\sum_{k=0}^np^kq^{n-k}}{q^n}\right ) = fl\left ((p-1)\sum _{k=0}^n\left (\frac{p}{q}\right)^k\right)[/tex]

where fl is the floor function. On the other hand, the number of distinct sums we can make that go up to n, where in particular q | an is:

[tex]fl\left (\frac{p}{q}\right )p^n[/tex]

Well for now, this is just a collection of facts which maybe can be put together in some useful way, but I can't think of how to do so exactly right now.

Last edited:
Using the sequence (and my TI-89)
[tex]A_n = \sum\limits_{k = 0}^n {\left( {\left\lfloor {\frac{n}{{p^k }}} \right\rfloor - p\left\lfloor {\frac{n}{{p^{k + 1} }}} \right\rfloor } \right)\left( {\frac{p}{q}} \right)^k } [/tex]

I tried to derive the relationship between [itex]n[/itex] and [itex]r[/itex]. In other words, calculate the value of [itex]n[/itex] given any [itex] r = A_n[/itex] (much like finding the inverse of a function or sequence...at least for the natural values of An).

As it turns out, An is not everywhere increasing, although an interesting & noticeable pattern is generated upon inspection. If someone can provide me with a download/link where I can plot sequences, I can attach the image here, of this sequence.

AKG said:
Now I'm not exactly sure how to formulate it, but I was thinking that we could use the pigeonhole principle in some way.
Not quite, though. There are sequences of [itex]\left\{ {a_0 ,a_1 , \ldots ,a_n } \right\} \subset \mathbb{Z} \cap \left[ {0,p - 1} \right][/itex] for which
[tex]\sum\limits_{k = 0}^n {a_k \left( {\frac{p}{q}} \right)^k } [/tex]
is not an integer.

You see, [itex]\forall n \in \mathbb{N}[/itex], there are
[tex]p^{n+1}[/tex]
different sequences possible.

Of course,
For all sequences [itex]\left\{ {a_0 ,a_1 , \ldots ,a_n } \right\}[/itex] (that satisfy the conditions), the largest sum possible is
[tex]\left( {p - 1} \right)\sum\limits_{k = 0}^n {\left( {\frac{p}
{q}} \right)^k } [/tex]
which corresponds to a sequence where every term is [itex]p-1[/itex].
-And also, the largest possible integer--that [itex]\left\{ {a_0 ,a_1 , \ldots ,a_n } \right\}[/itex] can correspond to--is thus:
[tex]\left\lfloor {\left( {p - 1} \right)\sum\limits_{k = 0}^n {\left( {\frac{p}
{q}} \right)^k } } \right\rfloor [/tex]
---------------------------------------
However,
[tex]\forall q > 1, \; p^{n + 1} > 1 + {\left( {p - 1} \right)\sum\limits_{k = 0}^n {\left( {\frac{p}{q}} \right)^k } } [/tex]

There will be a greater quantity of sequences possible (that satisfy the conditions) than is needed to express all the integers from zero to
[tex]\left\lfloor {\left( {p - 1} \right)\sum\limits_{k = 0}^n {\left( {\frac{p}{q}} \right)^k } } \right\rfloor[/tex]

(Needless to say, the extraneous non-integer-representing sequences will represent non-integral rational numbers)

Hurkyl said:
How big can that sum be? :-p
Well, the sum can be any natural number. And as the
Frivolous Theorem of Arithmetic states :biggrin:,

"Almost all natural numbers are very, very, very large." :smile:

Last edited:
So,

[tex]\forall p,q,r \in \mathbb{N}{\text{ where }}p > q > 0,\;{\text{does}}[/tex]

[tex]\exists \left\{ {a_0 ,a_1 , \ldots ,a_n } \right\} \subset \left\{ {0,1, \ldots ,p - 1} \right\}[/tex]

[tex]{\text{such that }}r = \sum\limits_{k = 0}^n {a_k \left( {\frac{p}
{q}} \right)^k } \;?[/tex]

?

Related to Is $\forall p,q,r \in \mathbb{N}$ Satisfiable?

1. What does "satisfiable" mean in this context?

In mathematics and logic, a statement is considered satisfiable if it is possible to find an assignment or interpretation that makes the statement true. In this context, we are asking if it is possible to find values for the variables p, q, and r in the set of natural numbers that make the statement true.

2. Why is it important to determine if a statement is satisfiable?

Determining if a statement is satisfiable is important because it allows us to test the validity of a logical argument. If a statement is not satisfiable, it means that there is no way to make the statement true and therefore the argument is invalid.

3. How can we determine if a statement is satisfiable?

In general, determining if a statement is satisfiable can be a complex task. However, for statements involving quantifiers like $\forall p,q,r \in \mathbb{N}$, we can use techniques from number theory and algebra to determine if a solution exists. We can also use mathematical proof techniques to show that a statement is not satisfiable.

4. Are there any practical applications for determining the satisfiability of a statement?

Yes, determining the satisfiability of a statement has practical applications in various fields, such as computer science, artificial intelligence, and cryptography. In computer science, satisfiability plays a crucial role in automated reasoning and program verification. In artificial intelligence, satisfiability is used to solve constraint satisfaction problems. In cryptography, satisfiability is used to test the security of encryption algorithms.

5. Can we determine the satisfiability of any statement?

No, it is not always possible to determine the satisfiability of a statement. This is because some statements may involve complex mathematical concepts or may have infinitely many solutions, making it impossible to check all possible cases. In some cases, the satisfiability of a statement may also depend on unsolved mathematical problems.