Proof: Fourier Transform of f(x) = f(-x)

In summary, the Fourier transform of f(x) = f(-x) is the same function with a reversed sign in the variable. It is related to the inverse Fourier transform as they are inverse operations of each other. The Fourier transform of f(x) = f(-x) has practical applications in signal processing, solving differential equations, and decomposing complex functions, as well as theoretical importance in mathematics and physics. It can also be used to simplify mathematical calculations, such as solving convolution integrals. Some real-world applications of the Fourier transform of f(x) = f(-x) include digital signal processing, medical imaging, data compression, and audio and image analysis, as well as in quantum mechanics, optics, and other branches of physics.
Chen
How can I prove that doing a Fourier transform on a function f(x) twice gives back f(-x)?

Thanks..

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're asking about the double integral

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{i kx} dk \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{ikx'} f(x')dx'[/tex]

If so, then the outer integral

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{i k (x+x')} dk = \delta (x+x')[/tex]

i.e. the Dirac delta function and you arrive at your result upon evaluating the inner integral. (That's ignoring factors of [itex]2\pi[/itex] which I am sure you can handle!)

Last edited:
I should hope so. Thanks!

FAQ: Proof: Fourier Transform of f(x) = f(-x)

1. What is the Fourier transform of f(x) = f(-x)?

The Fourier transform of f(x) = f(-x) is the same function, with a reversed sign in the variable. This means that the Fourier transform of f(x) = f(-x) is equal to its own inverse, f(-x) = F[f(x)].

2. How is the Fourier transform related to the inverse Fourier transform?

The Fourier transform and the inverse Fourier transform are inverse operations of each other. The Fourier transform converts a function from the time domain to the frequency domain, while the inverse Fourier transform converts it back from the frequency domain to the time domain.

3. What is the significance of the Fourier transform of f(x) = f(-x)?

The Fourier transform of f(x) = f(-x) has many practical applications, such as analyzing signals in signal processing, solving differential equations, and decomposing complex functions into simpler components. It also has theoretical importance in mathematics and physics.

4. Can the Fourier transform of f(x) = f(-x) be used to simplify mathematical calculations?

Yes, the Fourier transform of f(x) = f(-x) can be used to simplify calculations in many cases. For example, it can be used to solve convolution integrals, which are often difficult to solve using traditional methods.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Fourier transform of f(x) = f(-x)?

The Fourier transform of f(x) = f(-x) has numerous real-world applications, including in digital signal processing, medical imaging, data compression, and audio and image analysis. It is also used in quantum mechanics, optics, and other branches of physics.