JC#5 Face-gender discrimination is possible in the near abscene of attention

• Medical
  • Thread starter CosminaPrisma
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about presenting a paper on face gender discrimination and its relation to attention, specifically focusing on a study published in the Journal of Vision in 2004. The abstract and full paper can be found online. The presenter mentioned needing more time to provide a summary and asked to be reminded when ready.
CosminaPrisma
I'll be presenting the following paper for week 5's journal club, I will elaborate on it further in future posts.

Reddy L, Wilken P, Koch C. Face Gender Discrimination is Possible in the Near-Absence of Attention. Journal of Vision (2004) 4, 106-117

The abstract can be found here.

http://www.klab.caltech.edu/cgi-bin/publication/reference-view.pl?refdbname=paper&paper_id=481"

A link to the paper itself can be found here.

http://www.klab.caltech.edu/refweb/paper/481.pdf"

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Its going to take me more time than I thought to get a summary of this up.
I have a lot of schoolwork to do, so I'm afraid this won't be up till the middle of the week.

Send me a PM when you're ready and I'll bump you up to "sticky" status. :smile:

Will do that, thanks. It could be awhile yet though.

FAQ: JC#5 Face-gender discrimination is possible in the near abscene of attention

1. What is face-gender discrimination?

Face-gender discrimination refers to the act of treating someone differently based on their gender, specifically through facial cues or appearance.

2. How is face-gender discrimination possible in the absence of attention?

Research has shown that individuals can unconsciously process facial cues and make judgments about a person's gender without actively paying attention or being aware of it.

3. Is face-gender discrimination a common occurrence?

Yes, studies have found that face-gender discrimination is a common occurrence in various contexts, such as hiring decisions, social interactions, and even criminal justice systems.

4. Can face-gender discrimination be prevented?

There are steps that can be taken to reduce the likelihood of face-gender discrimination, such as promoting diversity and inclusivity, educating individuals about unconscious biases, and implementing blind hiring processes.

5. What are the potential consequences of face-gender discrimination?

Face-gender discrimination can have negative impacts on individuals and society, such as perpetuating gender stereotypes, limiting opportunities for certain genders, and contributing to gender inequality.