Light in Astronomy - Properties & Uses in Observing Objects

In summary: Yes, thank you Nereid, that's an important distinction that I neglected to make.There is actually a very tight relationship between luminosity (or absolute brightness) and rotation velocity known as the Tully-Fisher relationship:Note, however, that is only applies to spiral galaxies. Elliptical galaxies obey a similar relationship, but it instead relates luminosity and velocity dispersion:This is known as the Faber-Jackson relationship and is part of the fundamental plane of elliptical galaxies. The distinction is made because, as Nereid said, elliptical galaxies don't exhibit organized rotation -- the stellar velocities are more isotropic. In both cases, however, you're measuring a quantity that corresponds approximately to the mean
AstroCook
Hi all,
I'm currently working on a uni essay, the subject of which is how the properties of light are (and have been) used to discover and observe objects in astronomy. So far I'm looking into how the value of c is used, how doppler shift is used to determine velocities, how looking at the different parts of the EM spectrum can give a different view of the cosmos and something else that emcompasses spectroscopy/black body curves. If anyone can suggest additional relevant topics or websites that would be greatly appreciated or if you just want to discuss the above subjects that's also great.
Also, I read that the faster a galaxy rotates the greater its apparent brightness. Can anyone confirm this, if so would you be able to explain how it works or recommend a good site?
Thanks.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
You could also discuss polarization measurements, which are important in most areas of astronomy. The topics you listed are far too broad for a specific discussion in this thread. Perhaps you can zero in on aspects of them that confuse you.

Also, I read that the faster a galaxy rotates the greater its apparent brightness.

The faster a galaxy rotates, the more massive it is. The more massive it is, the brighter it is (usually). However, this would be absolute, not apparent brightness.

Also, I read that the faster a galaxy rotates the greater its apparent brightness.
Note that it doesn't work the other way round (as far as we know) - some of the brightest (absolute, not apparent) galaxies seem to have little rotation - the cD monsters which reside at the hearts of rich clusters.

Nereid said:
Note that it doesn't work the other way round (as far as we know) - some of the brightest (absolute, not apparent) galaxies seem to have little rotation - the cD monsters which reside at the hearts of rich clusters.

Yes, thank you Nereid, that's an important distinction that I neglected to make. There is actually a very tight relationship between luminosity (or absolute brightness) and rotation velocity known as the Tully-Fisher relationship:

[tex]L_s \propto v^4[/tex]

Note, however, that is only applies to spiral galaxies. Elliptical galaxies obey a similar relationship, but it instead relates luminosity and velocity dispersion:

[tex]L_e \propto \sigma^4[/tex]

This is known as the Faber-Jackson relationship and is part of the fundamental plane of elliptical galaxies. The distinction is made because, as Nereid said, elliptical galaxies don't exhibit organized rotation -- the stellar velocities are more isotropic. In both cases, however, you're measuring a quantity that corresponds approximately to the mean speed of stars at large distances from the center of the galaxy.

FAQ: Light in Astronomy - Properties & Uses in Observing Objects

1. What is light in astronomy and why is it important?

Light in astronomy refers to electromagnetic radiation emitted by various objects in the universe. It is important because it is the primary source of information for astronomers to study and understand celestial objects and their properties.

2. How does light travel through space and how do we observe it?

Light travels through space in the form of waves and can travel at incredibly high speeds. We observe light using telescopes and other instruments that are designed to collect and analyze different wavelengths of light.

3. What are the properties of light and how do they affect our observations?

The properties of light include wavelength, frequency, and intensity. These properties determine the color and brightness of light and can help us identify the type of object emitting the light. They also affect how the light is absorbed, reflected, and scattered as it travels through space, which can impact our observations.

4. How is light used to study and classify objects in astronomy?

Light is used to study and classify objects in astronomy through a process called spectroscopy. By analyzing the spectrum of light emitted by an object, astronomers can determine its chemical composition, temperature, and other important characteristics.

5. What are some of the practical uses of light in astronomy?

Light is used in astronomy for a variety of practical purposes, such as determining the distance to objects in the universe, studying the evolution of stars and galaxies, and detecting the presence of exoplanets. It is also used in technologies like satellite imaging and GPS navigation.