Are Both Related Rates Solutions Correct for the Street Light Problem?

I'm glad to hear that both ways are correct. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something or making a silly mistake.And no worries about the variables, I understand mistakes happen when trying to explain things quickly. But it's always good to clarify and double check. Good luck with your studies!
endeavor
"A street light is mounted at the top of a 15-ft-tall pole. A man 6ft tall walks away from the pole with a speed of 5ft/s along a straight path. How fast is the tip of his shadow moving when he is 40 ft from the pole?"
This is how I did it:
[tex]\frac{15}{6} = \frac{x+y}{y}[/tex]
[tex]0 = \frac{y(\frac{dy}{dx} + \frac{dy}{dt}) - (x + y)\frac{dy}{dt}}{y^2}[/tex]
[tex]y\frac{dx}{dt} - x\frac{dy}{dt} = 0[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dy}{dt} = \frac{y}{x} \frac {dx}{dt}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dy}{dt} = \frac{6}{9}(5)[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dy}{dt} = \frac{30}{9} = \frac{10}{3} ft/s[/tex]
then, since the guy is also moving at 5ft/s, add 5 to dy/dt, and the answer is:
[tex]
\frac{25}{3} ft/s
[/tex]
This is the right answer. However, my solution manual does it another way. They find y = (2/3)x, and then say that the tip of the shadow moves at a rate of:
[tex]\frac{d}{dt}(x + y) = \frac{d}{dt}(\frac {5}{3} x) = \frac {5}{3} (5) = \frac {25}{3} ft/s.
[/tex]
Are both ways correct? I was trying to explain my solution to someone, but now I'm confused as to whether my solution is correct.

According to my way, why don't you simply stop at
[tex]
\frac{10}{3} ft/s
[/tex]
I'm thinking that this is the rate of the shadow moving relative to the man. But to find the rate of the shadow relative to the street light (or the earth), you must add the speed of the man. Is my reasoning correct??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
sorry, I'm new to latex... I'm trying to fix this at the moment
I think that's good. I couldn't get new lines in there for some reason...

Last edited:
I have a complaint about the way you did this: You have "x" and "y" in your formulas but there is no "x" or "y" mentioned in the problem. Always start "word problems" by stating what your variables represent in the problem (perhaps by drawing a picture and labeling the picture)! If I were your teacher, I would warn you one or two times about that and then start deducting points.

I assume that x is the distance the man is from the light pole and y is the length of his shadow. What you have done is correct. (If it were me I would have mutltiplied through by the denominators to clear the fractions: 6x+ 6y= 15 so 6x= 7y. I hate fractions and I hate the quotient rule even more!)

Yes, both methods are correct. The problem asked for the rate at which the tip of the shadow is moving away from the light post. The text does that by finding the rate of change of (x+ y) which is the total distance from the light post to the tip of the shadow. You determined the rate of change of y, the length of the shadow, and then added on the rate at which the distance of the person from the light post, x, is changing.

In simple terms, the text calculated d(x+y)/dt and you calculated
dx/dt+ dy/dt. They are, of course, the same.

Sorry about those variables. You should know that I was not copying exactly what I wrote on my paper. I was thinking too fast. I did draw a diagram and did state what the variables represented. I did make x the distance from teh pole to the man, and y the length of the shadow.

Thanks for confirming my answer!

FAQ: Are Both Related Rates Solutions Correct for the Street Light Problem?

1. What is the concept of related rates in mathematics?

The concept of related rates is a mathematical technique used to find the rate of change of one variable with respect to another variable. It involves finding the relationship between two or more quantities that are changing at different rates and using this information to determine the rate of change of one variable in terms of the other.

2. How do you solve related rates problems?

To solve related rates problems, you first need to identify the variables and their rates of change. Then, use the given information to set up an equation that relates these variables. Next, take the derivative of both sides of the equation with respect to time and substitute in the given rates of change. Finally, solve for the unknown rate of change.

3. What are some common applications of related rates in real life?

Related rates are used in many real-life situations, such as calculating the rate of change of the water level in a swimming pool, the speed of a car on a race track, or the growth rate of a plant. They are also used in physics to determine the velocity and acceleration of moving objects.

4. What are the key principles to keep in mind when solving related rates problems?

There are a few key principles to keep in mind when solving related rates problems. First, always draw a diagram to help visualize the problem and identify the changing variables. Second, use the chain rule to take derivatives of related quantities. Third, carefully consider the units and make sure they are consistent throughout the problem. And finally, check your answer to ensure it makes sense in the given context.

5. How can related rates be applied to optimize a system?

Related rates can be used to optimize a system by finding the maximum or minimum value of a variable. This can be done by setting up an equation that relates the variables in the system and taking the derivative with respect to the variable being optimized. Then, solving for when the derivative is equal to zero to find the optimal value.