What is the output of a photodiodes?

• Thread starter the Physic freak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Output
In summary, the output current from a photodiode varies depending on the type of photodiode and its illumination. The maximum current can be found in the data sheet and there are many different photodiodes available on the market. There is no output voltage from a photodiode and it must be reverse-biased by an externally applied voltage in order to operate. Websites like Wikipedia and digikey.com offer more information and options for photodiodes.
the Physic freak
what is the output current from a photodiode like (in mA, uA, or...)?
what is the output voltage from a photodiode like (in mV, uV, or...)?

Physics news on Phys.org
i am sorry, but i didn't find any information about the size of the output current and voltage of a photodiode, as i am not sure what size to set on the multimeter to measure the current and the voltage

Also can anyone tell me where i can find a graph of the characteristic of a photodiodes please?

It will depend on what photodiode you use, the maximum current should be specified in the data sheet. Don't quote me on this but I think the last one I used (about 2 years ago) has a maximum photocurrent of 50mA.

~H

thx a lot for the information Hootenanny, do u have any good website for photodiodes(one that will show a graph for its characteristics and output current)? because i find one, which shows an ordinary photodiodes, but it doesn't tells me about its output current and its characteristic

Photodiodes do not have an "output voltage," because they can't operate as photodiodes unless they are already reverse-biased by an externally applied voltage. They have an "output current" which depends on their illumination. As has been said, there are many, many photodiodes on the market, all a little different.

Browsing a distributor like digikey.com should give you plenty of choices.

- Warren

FAQ: What is the output of a photodiodes?

1. What is a photodiode and how does it work?

A photodiode is a type of semiconductor device that converts light into an electrical current. It works by utilizing the photoelectric effect, where photons of light strike the semiconductor material and knock electrons loose, creating a flow of current.

2. What is the output of a photodiode?

The output of a photodiode is an electrical current that is proportional to the intensity of the light that falls on it. This current can be measured and used as a signal to detect the presence or absence of light.

3. What factors affect the output of a photodiode?

The output of a photodiode can be affected by several factors, including the intensity and wavelength of the light, the size and material of the photodiode, and external factors such as temperature and voltage.

4. What is the difference between a photodiode and a solar cell?

While both photodiodes and solar cells use the photoelectric effect to convert light into electricity, they have different designs and purposes. Photodiodes are typically used for detecting and measuring light, while solar cells are designed to convert light into electricity for power generation.

5. How is the output of a photodiode measured?

The output of a photodiode is typically measured in terms of current, using an ammeter or other current-measuring device. The current can then be converted into a voltage using a resistor, and the voltage can be measured using a voltmeter.

Back