Photo Contest - Bridge Over Troubled Water (8/16-8/22)

In summary, the contestants submitted various pictures of bridges. Some were good, some were bad, but all were interesting. I enjoyed looking at them all.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Bridge Over Troubled Water

This week's theme is all about bridges! It can be anything from the covered Bridges of Madison Country, to the hilarious Tacoma Narrows bridge. A bridge (or bridges) must be the main focus of your picture.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a grey area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. But other than that, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
oldbridge.jpg

The old bridge across the Mississippi

Last edited:
http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/219/tyne270904026ut8.jpg
Rather moody shot of the millenium bridge across the Tyne with the famous old bridges in the back ground. Only decent one I could find because as you can see the lighting conditions were terrible that day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kurdt said:
Rather moody shot of the millenium bridge across the Tyne with the famous old bridges in the back ground. Only decent one I could find because as you can see the lighting conditions were terrible that day.

I have some friends who live near Tyne and Wear!

http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/2142/bbridgeap8.jpg

The East River is very troubled indeed.

The only thing troubling here is how cliche this one is, but I can't find the other picture I had in mind.

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/2222/goldengatelh4.jpg

Maybe leaving the bridge supports in the photo instead of focusing on the top like most people do will appeal to the engineering types around here. :shy:

http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/5928/natbrivh1.jpg

one of the bridges at the Natural Bridges National Monument in Utah

detta said:
one of the bridges at the Natural Bridges National Monument in Utah
Wow, that's going to go on my "places to see" list! Though, it took me a moment to find the bridge (it's sort of like Russ' invisible ductwork). I thought the right side "base" of the bridge was a lake, and the rest of the bridge was a raised ridge around it. :smile:

Boy this was tough choise for me. Check out Moonbears "maybe should entered thread"

http://home.comcast.net/~integral50/scenery/begger.JPG

A troubled individual on the Hapenney bridge, Dublin, Ireland.

SpaceElf said:
Here's my submission...the branches looked troubled somehow :-p

Hope you'll like the mess :biggrin:

Please read our contest rules on picture size:

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. But other than that, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

Please resize your picture or else I cannot include it in the voting thread.

Zz.

here is the new pic - all resized and normal
http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/1809/bridge1fx6.jpg

Sorry about the resizing thing Zz, I really hadn't read the rules to tell you the truth :( I hardly read the rules but now I'll use my brains and do it.

Sorry about really...now it's just 650x488
And this photo isn't retouched/edited or anything...it's just as it has been taken - it's a place in India where I'd been recently.

That's all, and sorry once again Zz Forgive me!:frown: :cry:

-SpaceElf

ZapperZ said:
Please read our contest rules on picture size:

Please resize your picture or else I cannot include it in the voting thread.

Zz.

Sorry Zz - really sorry :(

SpaceElf said:
Sorry Zz - really sorry :(

Er.. it's not a big deal (no pun intended). A few people have entered these contests without reading the rules first, so I've resigned to the fact that I have to keep reminding people of this.

Zz.

Here is a historic Maine landmark - a suspension bridge in New Portland crossing the Carrabassett River. It was completed in 1866, the year after the end of the Civil War. Riding a bike across this bridge is very interesting, because it bounces and sways.

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8899/wirebridgeos4.jpg

larkspur said:
I have some friends who live near Tyne and Wear!
Cool! Should come and visit the weathers not always bad.

It is unfortunate I did not take a picture of http://www.architecture.com/go/Events/Events_1601.html . I think it is a fantastic piece of engineering so I thought I would mention it, even though I cannot enter the competition.

The Bob (2004 ©)

One of the many bridges across the Willamette river in Portland, OR. This, I think, is the only remaining operational iron bridges that still goes up and down. Thought I'd get this in before Janus scoop me.

:)

pac030056.jpg

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
One of the many bridges across the Willamette river in Portland, OR. This, I think, is the only remaining operational iron bridges that still goes up and down. Thought I'd get this in before Janus scoop me.

:)

pac030056.jpg

Zz.

@%&$*@!

I knew I should have gone out and taken my pictures yesterday!

On second thought, that wouldn't have done me any good. PF was down yesterday, and I worked this morning, meaning I wouldn't have been able to post my picture until now anyway.:cry:

Last edited:
Okay, here's another of the many bridges over the Willamette, (ZZ's was of the Steel Bridge, this is the Hawthorne Bridge.)

hawthorne.jpg

P.S. There are actually two bridges in this photo, just under the Hawthorne Bridge you can see some of the Morrison Bridge in the background.

Last edited:
Ooh, I love the colors in that photo!

HEY!
Zz when were you in Portland? Let us know if you are going to make a return trip!

Integral said:
HEY!
Zz when were you in Portland? Let us know if you are going to make a return trip!

I was in Portland in 2003 for the Particle Accelerator Conference (PAC03). Had a great time. Even played hooky for a day and drove down the Columbia River valley and around Mt. Hood.

Not sure when I'll be there next, but I'll definitely let you know.

Speaking of which, any PF members in Albuquerque, NM? PAC07 will be there next year.

Zz.

Janus said:
Okay, here's another of the many bridges over the Willamette, (ZZ's was of the Steel Bridge, this is the Hawthorne Bridge.)

P.S. There are actually two bridges in this photo, just under the Hawthorne Bridge you can see some of the Morrison Bridge in the background.

Fantastico! Beautiful photo - It's just simply stunning! Love the colours!:smile: :cool: :biggrin:

Related to Photo Contest - Bridge Over Troubled Water (8/16-8/22)

1. What is the theme of the PF Photo Contest - Bridge Over Troubled Water?

The theme of the contest is "Bridge Over Troubled Water", which means the photo should showcase a bridge over a body of water, representing the idea of overcoming difficulties and finding stability.

2. Can I submit more than one photo for the PF Photo Contest?

Yes, you can submit up to three photos for the contest. However, each photo must be unique and adhere to the theme of "Bridge Over Troubled Water".

3. Who can participate in the PF Photo Contest - Bridge Over Troubled Water?

The contest is open to anyone who loves photography and wants to showcase their skills. There are no restrictions based on age, nationality, or profession.

4. How will the winner of the PF Photo Contest be chosen?

The winner will be chosen by a panel of judges based on creativity, originality, and relevance to the theme. The judges' decision will be final.

5. What is the prize for the winner of the PF Photo Contest - Bridge Over Troubled Water?

The winner will receive a cash prize of $500 and their photo will be featured on the PF website and social media pages. They will also receive a certificate of achievement and recognition as the winner of the contest.