Group Velocity: Estimating for Differing Wavenumbers

In summary, the concept of group velocity is most meaningful when the wave's angular frequency is a linear function of its wavenumber, or nearly so. In this case, the group velocity can be evaluated at any value of k and remains constant. However, for dispersive waves with a range of wavenumbers, the group velocity will vary with frequency and can be difficult to define. It is most useful when the wavenumbers are dominated by a small group or are close together. The group velocity can still be defined, but it may not be a useful concept if the spread in wavenumbers is too large.
hanson
I am wondering if group velocity can defined only for waves with very close wavenumber?
I see a number of simulations which shows the superposition of two waves with slighlty different wavenumber and angular frequency, and a train of wave pulses is produced. The group velocity is then (w2-w1)/(k2-k1).

But what if it is two waves of very different wavenumber?

And also, for waves that is composed of a range of values of k, where shall I evluate the group velocity i.e. the derivative dw/dt at?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the concept of "group velocity" has meaning only when [itex]\omega[/itex] is a linear function of [itex]k[/itex], or nearly so. Then the derivative [itex]d\omega / dk[/itex] is a constant, or nearly so, and it doesn't make any difference what value of [itex]k[/itex] you evaluate the derivative at.

If [itex]d\omega / dk[/itex] isn't constant, the packet changes shape as time passes, and eventually "falls apart".

jtbell said:
I think the concept of "group velocity" has meaning only when [itex]\omega[/itex] is a linear function of [itex]k[/itex], or nearly so. Then the derivative [itex]d\omega / dk[/itex] is a constant, or nearly so, and it doesn't make any difference what value of [itex]k[/itex] you evaluate the derivative at.

If [itex]d\omega / dk[/itex] isn't constant, the packet changes shape as time passes, and eventually "falls apart".

If dw/dk is not constant, so what is the group velocity at every instant time? Though the packet changes shape as time passes, it shall still have a group velocity, isn't it? Just that the shape of the envelop changes but not the group velocity...?

And I actually see some books having Cg = 1-k^-2 etc...so...what does it mean?

I am thinking about the following:
That group velocity is for a group of waves that have a range of wavenumbers that is closed together (or dominated by such a group of wavenumbers) so that
k0 - delta < k <k0 +delta, where the dominating range of wavenumbers is around k0.

So, the group of waves can be viewed as a single harmonic wave of wavenumber k0 but with a varying envelope A(x,t). Just like the case of "beats".

So, the group velocity is dw/dk evaluated at k=k0.

So no matter the wave is dispersive or non-dispersive, the group velocity is still k=k0. But for dispersive waves, the envelop function will spread out or flatten as time passes.

Do you think I am thinking correctly? Is the concepts of group velocity has meaning only when the wavenumbers are dominated by a small group of wavenumbers / the wavenumbers are close enough together?

We can still define a group velocity, one just has to be mindful that group velocity will vary with frequency in a medium, due to material dispersion. Dispersive behaviour is contained within higher order derivative terms, d^2w/dk^2 and so forth.

Claude.

Claude Bile said:
We can still define a group velocity, one just has to be mindful that group velocity will vary with frequency in a medium, due to material dispersion. Dispersive behaviour is contained within higher order derivative terms, d^2w/dk^2 and so forth.

Claude.

Suppose the group velocity cg = 1-k^-2. And there is a group of waves with different values of k, so what value of k shall I use to find the group velocity?

Pick a reasonable central value. If the spread in k is so large that vg would be very different for different choices, then group velocity is not a useful concept.
The packet would spread so much that a packet velocity would be hard to specify.

FAQ: Group Velocity: Estimating for Differing Wavenumbers

What is group velocity?

Group velocity is a measure of how fast a wave packet or group of waves travels through a medium. It is different from phase velocity, which measures the speed of individual waves within the packet.

How is group velocity calculated?

Group velocity can be calculated using the formula vg = dω/dk, where vg is the group velocity, ω is the angular frequency, and k is the wavenumber. This formula is valid for linear and isotropic media.

What factors affect group velocity?

The group velocity of a wave can be affected by the properties of the medium, such as its density and elasticity, as well as the frequency and direction of the wave. In some non-linear media, the group velocity may also depend on the amplitude of the wave.

Why is estimating group velocity important?

Estimating group velocity is important in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and geology. It allows us to understand how waves propagate through different media and can help predict the behavior of seismic waves, electromagnetic waves, and other types of waves.

How can group velocity be measured experimentally?

Group velocity can be measured experimentally using various techniques, such as time-of-flight measurements, interferometry, and dispersion analysis. These methods involve measuring the arrival time, interference patterns, or frequency spectrum of waves to determine their group velocity.