Propagation speeds in literature

In summary, Peskin & Shroeder claim that replacing non-relativistic energy with the relativistic energy in the propagator does not remove infinite propagation speeds. This claim has been discussed in earlier literature of quantum theory, with some authors arguing that there is no propagation outside the light cone, while others claim that there is no causal propagation outside the light cone. This subject has been extensively discussed and a Green's function for the Klein Gordon equation has been derived, showing no propagation outside the light cone at any dimension.
jostpuur
In the beginning of their book, Peskin & Shroeder say that replacing non-relativistic energy [itex]p^2/(2m)[/itex] with the relativistic one [itex]\sqrt{p^2 c^2 + (mc^2)^2}[/itex] does not remove infinite propagation speeds given by the propagator

[tex]
\int\frac{d^3p}{(2\pi\hbar)^3} e^{-i(E_p t - p\cdot(x-y))/\hbar}
[/tex]

Does this claim also appear in earlier literature of quantum theory, or is it a new one?

Physics news on Phys.org
jostpuur said:
In the beginning of their book, Peskin & Shroeder say that replacing non-relativistic energy [itex]p^2/(2m)[/itex] with the relativistic one [itex]\sqrt{p^2 c^2 + (mc^2)^2}[/itex] does not remove infinite propagation speeds given by the propagator

I don't think they use the term "propagation speeds"... do they?

[tex]
[/tex]

Does this claim also appear in earlier literature of quantum theory, or is it a new one?

Their claims are not new ones. And fear not, causality is preserved in the relativistic theory.

olgranpappy said:
I don't think they use the term "propagation speeds"... do they?

Not really. They use for example a sentence: "This expression is nonzero for all x and t, indicating that a particle can propagate between any two points in an arbitrarily short time." I'm not aware if "infinite propagation speed" could be understood differently.

Their claims are not new ones. And fear not, causality is preserved in the relativistic theory.

This propagator with the relativistic [itex]E_p[/itex] does not allow propagations outside the light cone, and I'm concerned about this belief that it would.

jostpuur said:

[tex]
[/tex]

There are lots of papers about "superluminal spreading" of wavepackets in relativistic quantum mechanics and in QFT. Below is just a sample.

S. N. M. Ruijsenaars, "On Newton-Wigner localization and superluminal propagation speeds", Ann. Phys. 137 (1981), 33

G. C. Hegerfeldt, "Instantaneous spreading and Einstein causality in quantum theory",
Ann. Phys. (Leipzig), 7 (1998), 716; http://www.arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/9809030

F. Strocchi, "Relativistic quantum mechanics and field theory", Found. Phys. 34 (2004), 501; http://www.arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0401143

Th. W. Ruijgrok, "On localisation in relativistic quantum mechanics", in Lecture Notes in Physics, Theoretical Physics. Fin de Si\'e cle, vol. 539, edited by A. Borowiec, W. Cegla,
B. Jancewicz, and W. Karwowski (Springer, Berlin, 2000)

Eugene.

meopemuk said:
F. Strocchi, "Relativistic quantum mechanics and field theory", Found. Phys. 34 (2004), 501; http://www.arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0401143

What an interesting paper! He talks about the same square root operator that we did in our debate some time ago. But I must disagree already with his proposition 2.1, though.

jostpuur said:
What an interesting paper! He talks about the same square root operator that we did in our debate some time ago. But I must disagree already with his proposition 2.1, though.

Why do you disagree with proposition 2.1? It basically says that a wave function localized at t=0 spreads out superluminally at later times. The same statement was made by Hegerfeldt, Peskin & Schroeder, and many others. Looks like a proven fact to me.

Eugene.

jostpuur said:

[tex]
[/tex]

The analytical Green's function of the Klein Gordon propagator has no propagation
outside the light cone.

[tex]\Theta(t) \left(\ \frac{1}{2\pi}\delta(s^2)\ + \frac{m}{4\pi s} \Theta(s^2)\ \mbox{\huge J}_1(ms)\ \right), \qquad \mbox{with:}\ \ \ s^2=t^2-x^2 [/tex]

Where Theta is the Heaviside step function and J1 is the Bessel J function of the
first order. The Theta at the left selects the forward propagating half while the
other cuts off any propagation outside the light cone.

If you read on a bit in Peskin and Schroeder then you see they later claim that there
is no causal propagation outside the lightcone. Although the argument they use is not
that popular.

This subject has been discussed extensively here, see for instance my posts here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=161235&page=2 and here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1278078&postcount=6

The latter has some more back ground information.

The propagator (Green's function) for the Klein Gordon equation in any d-dimensional
space can be derived as:

[tex]\mbox{\Huge G}_d^{KG}{(t,r)}\ =\ \frac{1}{2\pi^a}\
\frac{\partial^a }{\partial (s^2)^a} \left\{\ \Theta(s^2) J_o(ms)\
\right\}[/tex]

Where:

[tex]a=(d-1)/2, \qquad s^2=t^2-r^2[/tex].

There is no propagation outside the light cone at any dimension.Regards, Hans

Last edited:

Related to Propagation speeds in literature

1. What is meant by propagation speed in literature?

Propagation speed in literature refers to the rate at which information, ideas, or themes spread and are shared through different mediums such as books, articles, or online platforms.

2. How is propagation speed measured in literature?

Propagation speed in literature can be measured by analyzing the number of views, shares, or citations a particular piece of work receives within a specific time frame.

3. What factors affect propagation speed in literature?

There are several factors that can affect propagation speed in literature, including the quality and relevance of the content, the author's reputation and credibility, the target audience, and the timing of its release.

4. How does propagation speed impact the success of a literary work?

The propagation speed of a literary work can greatly impact its success as it determines the reach and influence it has on its audience. A higher propagation speed can lead to increased recognition, readership, and potential for further dissemination.

5. Can propagation speed be manipulated in literature?

While the quality and relevance of the content are crucial in determining propagation speed, certain marketing and promotional strategies can also influence its speed. However, ultimately, it is the readers and their response to the work that ultimately drives propagation speed.