Who Can Help Joe Vieitez with His Engineering Class Report?

• Thread starter aeperson90
  • Start date
In summary: Is there any other information that you would like to add about electrical engineering?Not at the moment. Thanks for your time! In summary, Joe Vieitez is a junior at the Academies@Englewood and he is hoping to interview an engineer. Joe attended UC Davis and is an experienced engineer. He likes working on large chip and transceiver projects and is also responsible for architecting and planning new designs. He has been working as an electrical engineer for about 28 years.
aeperson90
Hi. My name is Joe Vieitez and I'm a junior at the Academies@Englewood in Englewood, New Jersey. I was hoping that one of you guys could help me out. I need to do a report for my engineering class and I have to interview an engineer. I would really appreciate it if a were of you guys were to answer the questions below.
Thank you! I appreciate your time.

1.What made you first want to get into the field of electrical engineering?
2.Do you do most of your work for a company or do you work on your own?
3.Do you more often work on small job or large jobs, and what types of jobs have you worked on?
4.What was one of the most impressive projects you have taken part in during your career?
5.Where did you go to college and what degree did you achieve?
6.Did you go to a normal public high school or did you attend a private or vocational school?
7.Is there anything you dislike about the career path that you chose?
8.Is it challenging to be an electrical engineer?
9.What region is most of the electrical engineering work located?
10.What are your major responsibilities on an average job or project?
11.What type of equipment or tools do you use to get the job done?
12.Does being an electrical engineer require you to deal more with people or machines?
13.How long have you been an electrical engineer?
14.What are some benefits that this job offers? (medical, dental, vacation)
15.Is there any other information that you would like to add about electrical engineering?

Engineering news on Phys.org
1.What made you first want to get into the field of electrical engineering?

The first programming class that I took in college (Fortran!) was very challenging and fun. That prompted me to change my major from ME to EE.

2.Do you do most of your work for a company or do you work on your own?

Medium-size company. I did consult for 5 years on my own previously, though.

3.Do you more often work on small job or large jobs, and what types of jobs have you worked on?

Mostly large chip and transceiver projects, but those are comprised of many smaller sub-projects.

4.What was one of the most impressive projects you have taken part in during your career?

All of the chips and transceivers that I've worked on are impressive from a technical perspective. One of my best acheivements was my first patent, which made good money for my employer at the time (HP).

5.Where did you go to college and what degree did you achieve?

BSEE from UC Davis in California. MSEE from Univ. of Michigan in the snow.

6.Did you go to a normal public high school or did you attend a private or vocational school?

High school, but calling it normal is a bit of an overstatement :-)

7.Is there anything you dislike about the career path that you chose?

I'd rather be a park ranger at a dirtbike park, or a scuba instructor in Hawaii. But there's not much money in either of those career paths :-)

8.Is it challenging to be an electrical engineer?

Yep.

9.What region is most of the electrical engineering work located?

EE work is available all over. I'm in Silicon Valley, CA, USA, because there is a lot of EE work here, and much of it is cutting-edge.

10.What are your major responsibilities on an average job or project?

I'm generally one of the key contributors to the architecture and planning of new chips and transceivers, and then help out with the implementation details. I generally am the one to design and build the emulation hardware for new designs, and I do a lot of design validation and debug work during the design. I'm usually the person who fires up the first silicon, and I am often knee-deep in any DVT issues that come up. And when the silicon finally makes it out the door, I'm usually the point contact for any marketing or support issues that come up.

11.What type of equipment or tools do you use to get the job done?

Oscilloscope, power supplies, logic analyzer, impedance analyzer, spectrum analyzer, GTEM cell, EMI/ESD/Surge/-6 test setups, shock/vibe test setup, SMT rework stations with microscopes and exhaust hood, etc.

12.Does being an electrical engineer require you to deal more with people or machines?

Mostly you deal with things, but you deal with people in your team a fair amount too. It is rewarding to be a strong contributing member of an elite, very bright and productive, common-goal-oriented team.

13.How long have you been an electrical engineer?

BSEE in 1979, so that would be 28 years and counting.

14.What are some benefits that this job offers? (medical, dental, vacation)

Good salary and benifits, flexible hours. And if you are good enough to fit in at a startup, the incentive stock options can be worth a fair amount of money if the company does well and goes public.

15.Is there any other information that you would like to add about electrical engineering?

I still remember a visit from an engineer to my high school science class way back. He said something like, "Engineering can be a very good career. If you are willing and able to work very hard in your studies at college, and at your engineering job, you will basically have a well-paying job for life." I took that advice to heart, worked my butt off in college, and have worked hard and well ever since. EE has been good to me, and I enjoy the daily intellectual challenges. Work hard!

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your responses.

i wish someone gives such an inspiring stuff for ME also

FAQ: Who Can Help Joe Vieitez with His Engineering Class Report?

What is the purpose of this interview?

The purpose of this interview is for me to share my knowledge and expertise in my field as a scientist.

What are your qualifications and experience?

I have a PhD in [specific field], and I have been working in this field for over 10 years. I have also published numerous research papers and have presented at various conferences.

What is your area of specialization?

My area of specialization is [specific field or subject]. I have conducted extensive research in this area and have a deep understanding of the subject matter.

What kind of projects have you worked on in the past?

I have worked on a variety of projects, ranging from basic research to applied research. Some examples include studying the effects of climate change on marine ecosystems, developing new medical treatments for rare diseases, and creating more sustainable farming practices.

How do you stay updated on current developments in your field?

I regularly attend conferences and workshops related to my field, and I also keep up with published research in scientific journals. I also collaborate with other scientists and participate in discussions and debates to stay informed about the latest developments in my field.

Back