Interacting Systems - The Sled Dog

• Thread starter mantillab
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Systems
In summary, the sled dog in the given figure is pulling sleds A and B across the snow, with a coefficient of friction of 0.10. The tension in rope 1 is 150 N, and the goal is to find the tension in rope 2. Using force diagrams for sleds A and B, the solution for T2 is 280 N, but the correct answer is 270 N. To find the correct solution, the friction force must be taken into account by finding the net force along the y-axis. Using the equation F_net_y = N - m * g, the normal force is found to be equal to the weight of the sleds. The friction force is then calculated using the equation F_k =
mantillab

Homework Statement

The sled dog in figure (attached) drags sleds A and B across the snow. The coefficient of friction between the sleds and the snow is 0.10.

If the tension in rope 1 is 150 N, what is the tension in rope 2?

Homework Equations

F_a on b = -F_b on a

The Attempt at a Solution

The force diagrams I did for sled A and sled B resulted in:

Sled A: Fnetx = T1 - (mu_k)(m_a)(g) = 52

Sled B: Fnetx = T2 -T1 - (mu_k)(m_b)(g) = T2 - 228.4

My solution for T2 = 280 is very close, but not the right solution. Should I be adding another force for sled B, based on the friction of sled A or another component of sled A?

Attachments

• knight_Figure_08_20.jpg
    knight_Figure_08_20.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 2,768
Physics news on Phys.org
can you help me please solving my problem thx

Apparently the answer is 270N. Still don't know they determined that.

What are the masses of the sleds? I can't see the picture but I'm imagining that a dog is pulling sled b which is connected to sled a like so.

Dog--b--a

I don't know if this is what you meant, but Fnet for sled a and b are NOT the same unless they have the same mass.

Solution

T for rope 1:
100kg * a = 150 N
a = 1.5 m/s^2

If the tension in rope 1 is 150 N, what is the tension in rope 2?

T for rope 2:
(mass of sled 1 + sled 2)*1.5 m/s^2 = T
(100kg + 80kg)*1.5m/s^2 = 270N

kster you ignored the friction force.
Rope 1:
T-Mkn=ma
150-0.10(100*9.8)=ma
rope 2 just the same expect for the weight is 180kg

So to Sum it all up...

Remember when dealing with any type of friction problem, you MUST add it into the eq. usually by finding the F_net along the y-axis.

F_net_y = m_1 *a_y (a_y = 0, since the object is not moving in the y-direction)

Find all forces acting on the y-axis to be your F_net_y

F_net_y = N - m*g
N - m *g = m_1 *a_y
N - m *g = 0
N = m *g

Also remember what your Friction Force is.

F_k = U_k * N
F_k = U_k * (m *g)

Now you can solve for a

T_1 - F_k = m_1 *a
(T_1 - F_k)/(m_1) = a
(T_1 - (U_k *(m_1 *g)))/(m_1) = a

Then you solve for T_2

T_2 - T_1 - F_k = m_2 * a
T_2 = (m_2 * a) + T_1 + F_k
T_2 = (m_2 * a) + T_1 + (U_k *( m_2 *g))

Related to Interacting Systems - The Sled Dog

1. What are interacting systems?

Interacting systems are systems in which the components or parts of the system interact with one another in a meaningful way. This means that each part of the system affects and is affected by other parts of the system.

2. How do sled dogs interact with their environment?

Sled dogs interact with their environment in various ways. They use their strength and endurance to pull sleds through snow and ice, and their keen sense of smell and direction to navigate through the terrain. They also rely on their relationship with their musher and other dogs in the team to work together effectively.

3. What role does communication play in sled dog teams?

Communication is crucial in sled dog teams. The musher must communicate commands to the dogs, and the dogs must understand and respond to these commands in order to work together efficiently. The dogs also communicate with each other through body language and vocalizations to coordinate their movements and maintain their pack hierarchy.

4. How do sled dogs adapt to their changing environment?

Sled dogs are highly adaptable and can adjust to changes in their environment. They have thick double coats that protect them from cold temperatures, and they can conserve energy by reducing their metabolic rate when necessary. They also have tough, padded paws that can withstand harsh terrain and can be trained to navigate through various obstacles.

5. What can studying sled dog teams reveal about interacting systems?

Studying sled dog teams can provide valuable insights into how interacting systems function. It can reveal the importance of communication, cooperation, and adaptability in a complex system. It can also demonstrate the effects of individual behaviors on the overall performance of the team, as well as the impact of external factors on the system as a whole.