Exploring the Cosmos: Introductory Astrophysics Literature Recommendations

In summary, the conversation revolves around recommendations for books on Astrophysics for a new person looking to learn more about the subject. Some suggestions include: "Introductory Astronomy and Astrophysics" by Zeilik, "Universe" by Freedman and Kaufmann, "An Introduction to Modern Astrophysics" by Carroll and Ostlie, "An Introduction to Modern Astrophysics" by Carroll and Ostlie, "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "The Road to Reality" by Roger Penrose, and "The Unsolved Universe: Challenges for the Future" edited by Mário J.P.F.G. Monteiro. There is also a warning to be cautious when reading online articles and some helpful links are provided for further reading.
McTrastico
Hello, I'm new to these forums so I don't really know if I'm posting this in the right spot, but I was wondering if I could get some suggestions on books to read on Astrophysics. I've been reading a couple books on String Theory by Brian Greene and a couple books by Michio Kaku, but I would really like to get more into the depth of Astrophysics in a few other books. I would also like to say, nothing too complicated, something for a new person looking into Astrophysics. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you'll need to be more specific: are you looking for popular science books, similar to the ones you name here, or do you want technical books on astrophysics. I'm not sure that I know of any that fall into the latter category...

Zeilik's "Introductory Astronomy and Astrophysics" should be a fairly small step up from Pop. sci. books.

Freedman and Kaufmann's "Universe" textbook would be good. It is predominantly conceptual in nature and covers a lot of topics. You should be able to find older editions for a few bucks.

cristo said:
I think you'll need to be more specific: are you looking for popular science books, similar to the ones you name here, or do you want technical books on astrophysics. I'm not sure that I know of any that fall into the latter category...

In response to your reply, I am looking for more technical books on Astrophysics. I am really looking to learn new astrophysics for later on in my schooling.

If your looking for a book that uses mathematics extensively, I recommend "An Introduction to Modern Astrophysics" by Carroll and Ostlie. They came out with a new edition within the past year, so it is a little pricey but older editions may be cheaper.

Maybe not exactly what you are searching for, but you can download it for free, so why not have a look at it:

http://arxiv.org/abs/0706.1988

Lecture notes on Astronomy, Astrophysics and Cosmology for undergrades. Some of the equations are too hard for a newbie, just skip them and read the text.

Oberst Villa said:
Maybe not exactly what you are searching for, but you can download it for free, so why not have a look at it:

http://arxiv.org/abs/0706.1988

Lecture notes on Astronomy, Astrophysics and Cosmology for undergrades. Some of the equations are too hard for a newbie, just skip them and read the text.

nice, thank you

McTrastico - I was at the same level with you. Plans of pursuing physics/astrophysics as a career - read I guess "laymen" physics/ astrophysics books - wanted something deeper but not too complex for one without a degree in the field?
Try Feynman's Lectures - He's interesting and from what I hear he is must read for some undergraduate physics majors in college.
Also read Stephen Hawking's A Brief History Of Time - similar to what Greene did in The Elegant Universe - but a little more complex.
Another book that fits what you want - The Road To Reality by Roger Penrose
If you have access to science journals, then Astrophysical Journal would be a given.
You would also be surprised at how many essays with varying degrees of complexity on astrophysics or related fields are on the web. A simple search would give you a plethora of information.
Hope this helps.

Heisenberg. said:
McTrastico - I was at the same level with you. Plans of pursuing physics/astrophysics as a career - read I guess "laymen" physics/ astrophysics books - wanted something deeper but not too complex for one without a degree in the field?
Try Feynman's Lectures - He's interesting and from what I hear he is must read for some undergraduate physics majors in college.
Also read Stephen Hawking's A Brief History Of Time - similar to what Greene did in The Elegant Universe - but a little more complex.
Another book that fits what you want - The Road To Reality by Roger Penrose
If you have access to science journals, then Astrophysical Journal would be a given.
You would also be surprised at how many essays with varying degrees of complexity on astrophysics or related fields are on the web. A simple search would give you a plethora of information.
Hope this helps.

I just want to say that that was a very helpful reply, I'm in the middle of reading The Elegant Universe, and about to start on A Brief History of Time afterwards, and a quick question, If I read some online essays, would It really help when I take the astronomy and physics courses in school?

McTrastico said:
If I read some online essays, would It really help when I take the astronomy and physics courses in school?

I would be very careful when choosing articles to read online: there is a lot more nonsense out there than there is real science.

Perhaps this would be of interest -

The Unsolved Universe: Challenges for the Future: JENAM 2002 (Hardcover)
by Mário J.P.F.G. Monteiro (Editor)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1402016735/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Robert Trotta's homepage at Cambridge might also be of interest
http://www-astro.physics.ox.ac.uk/~rxt/

With regard to on-line essays, one might wish to peruse the bibliographies of publications of university faculty members which have been published in peer review journals.

Freedman and Kaufmann's "Universe" textbook & "An Introduction to Modern Astrophysics" by Carroll and Ostlie.

Are my tips, 1st book is loot of nice pictures and phenomelogical, second is approx 1400 pages, only B&W pictures, and lots of lots of math.

I also Kaufman's "Universe" and would like to echo the sentiments of others about being careful with online articles.

Here is a good list on Stellar Astrophysics.

http://www.shef.ac.uk/physics/people/vdhillon/teaching/phy213/phy213_texts.html

some useful links

http://www.shef.ac.uk/physics/people/vdhillon/teaching/phy213/phy213_links.html

Last edited by a moderator:
The Stars: their structure and evolution
R. J. Tayler (Cambridge University Press)

Great book! I read it many moons ago for a second year astronomy course. One of the best textbooks I encountered, almost up there with Feynman. Read Feynman's lectures on physics first, to get the necessary Maths & Physics background. You need to put the physics (and some maths) into astro to advance.

Related to Exploring the Cosmos: Introductory Astrophysics Literature Recommendations

1. What is Astrophysics?

Astrophysics is a branch of astronomy that focuses on the physical and chemical properties of objects and phenomena in outer space. It combines principles from physics and chemistry to study the behavior of celestial bodies, such as stars, planets, galaxies, and the universe as a whole.

2. What are the main topics covered in literature on Astrophysics?

The main topics covered in literature on Astrophysics include stellar evolution, cosmology, planetary science, interstellar medium, and high-energy astrophysics. These topics cover a wide range of subjects, from the formation of stars and galaxies to the origin and evolution of the universe.

3. How is Astrophysics related to other fields of science?

Astrophysics is closely related to other fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, and mathematics. It uses principles and methods from these disciplines to study the behavior and properties of celestial objects. Astrophysics also has connections to other branches of astronomy, such as observational astronomy and theoretical astrophysics.

4. What are some current research areas in Astrophysics?

Some current research areas in Astrophysics include the search for exoplanets, the study of dark matter and dark energy, and the exploration of the early universe. Other areas of interest include gravitational waves, the formation and evolution of galaxies, and the study of black holes and neutron stars.

5. How does literature on Astrophysics contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Literature on Astrophysics plays a vital role in advancing our understanding of the universe. It helps us to uncover new information about the nature and behavior of celestial objects, and provides insights into the fundamental laws and principles that govern the cosmos. The research and discoveries made through literature on Astrophysics have led to significant advancements in our understanding of the universe and continue to push the boundaries of human knowledge.