Converting Double to String: Preserving the Last Digit

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter NoobixCube
  • Start date
  • Tags
    String
In summary, the conversation is about converting a double to a string. The user is experiencing a problem where the number is being truncated by leaving off the last digit, the zero. The solution is to specify the format as a floating point number or to use one of the other formats listed in the Help manual for num2str.
NoobixCube
Hi all,
I am converting a double to a string. But in the following case:
-----------
format long
numnum=546.790;
num=num2str(numnum)
length(num)
---------------
when 'numnum' is converted to a string, the command truncates the number by leaving off the last digit, the zero. Is there a way to keep the zero on there when converting to a string?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, specify the format as a floating point number
num2str(numnum,'%3.3f')
or use one of the other formats (scientific notation, etc.) listed in the Help manual. Check the Help entry for num2str and you'll see a clickable link to the format list.

Hello,

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. When converting a double to a string, the trailing zeros are typically removed by default as they are not significant digits. However, if you would like to preserve the last digit, you can use the 'sprintf' function instead of 'num2str'. This function allows you to specify the number of decimal places you want to include in the string. For example, in your case, you can use the following code:

num = sprintf('%.3f', numnum)

This will convert the double 'numnum' to a string with three decimal places, including the trailing zero. You can adjust the number of decimal places as needed.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best,

FAQ: Converting Double to String: Preserving the Last Digit

1. How do I convert a double to a string without losing the last digit?

To preserve the last digit when converting a double to a string, you can use the DecimalFormat class in Java or the toFixed() method in JavaScript. Both of these methods allow you to specify the number of decimal places to preserve.

2. Can I convert a double to a string without rounding the last digit?

Yes, you can convert a double to a string without rounding the last digit by using the DecimalFormat class in Java or the toFixed() method in JavaScript and setting the rounding mode to ROUND_DOWN.

3. How do I handle trailing zeros when converting a double to a string?

To handle trailing zeros when converting a double to a string, you can use the DecimalFormat class in Java or the toFixed() method in JavaScript and specify the formatting pattern to include trailing zeros.

4. Is there a way to convert a double to a string without using formatting?

Yes, you can convert a double to a string without using formatting by using the String.valueOf() method in Java or the toString() method in JavaScript. These methods will return the full precision of the double without any formatting.

5. Can I convert a double to a string and preserve the exact value?

Yes, you can convert a double to a string and preserve the exact value by using the BigDecimal class in Java or the Number.toFixed() method in JavaScript. These methods return the exact value of the double without any rounding or formatting.