How Can Wick's Theorem Be Applied to Schwinger-Dyson Equations?

• Thread starter mhill
  • Start date
In summary, Pages 307-308 of Peskin and Schröeder discuss the Schwinger Dyson equation for the correlation function, with a specific equation shown in eq.(9.86). The functional derivative of the action 'S' is represented by \delta S, and it can be pulled out of the correlation function according to eq.(9.86). To compute the quantity < \Omega | T( \phi (x1) \phi(x2)..i\delta (x-xi)... \phi (xN) | \Omega > for every 'i', one can use Wick's theorem by pulling out the delta functions and applying Feynman's propagators for all possible pairs
mhill
in Pages 307-308 of Peskin and Schröeder we find

[tex] \delta S (< \Omega | T( \phi (x1) \phi(x2)... \phi (xN) | \Omega >)= -\sum_{n=1}^{N}< \Omega | T( \phi (x1) \phi(x2)..i\delta (x-xi)... \phi (xN) | \Omega > [/tex]

they are the Schwinger Dyson equation for the correlation function , my question is , how could i use Wick's theorem to compute the quantity

[tex] < \Omega | T( \phi (x1) \phi(x2)..i\delta (x-xi)... \phi (xN) | \Omega > [/tex] for every 'i'

here [tex] \delta S [/tex] is the functional derivative of the action 'S'

Physics news on Phys.org
Your first equation does not appear in P&S, and I don't understand what you mean by it. Referring to eq.(9.86) on p.307 of P&S, the delta function can be pulled outside the correlation function (since it is just a number, not an operator). Then you are left with a standard correlation function.

thatis easy , pull the delta functions out of the correlator and then apply wick's theorm by writing out Green functions"feynman's propagators"

Related to How Can Wick's Theorem Be Applied to Schwinger-Dyson Equations?

What is the Schwinger-Dyson equation?

The Schwinger-Dyson equation is a mathematical equation used in quantum field theory to describe the behavior of fields and particles. It is used to calculate the probability amplitudes of interactions between particles.

Why is the Schwinger-Dyson equation important?

The Schwinger-Dyson equation is important because it provides a way to understand and calculate the properties of quantum fields and particles. It also helps to reconcile the principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity.

What is the difference between the Schwinger-Dyson equation and other equations in quantum field theory?

The Schwinger-Dyson equation is a functional equation, meaning that it describes the mathematical relationship between a function and its derivatives. This is different from other equations in quantum field theory, such as the Dirac equation or the Klein-Gordon equation, which are differential equations.

How is the Schwinger-Dyson equation derived?

The Schwinger-Dyson equation is derived from the path integral formulation of quantum field theory, which involves summing over all possible paths that a particle can take between two points in space and time. This leads to an infinite series of terms, which can be simplified using mathematical techniques to obtain the Schwinger-Dyson equation.

What are some practical applications of the Schwinger-Dyson equation?

The Schwinger-Dyson equation has many applications in theoretical physics, including the calculation of scattering amplitudes, the study of phase transitions in condensed matter systems, and the development of new theories such as the AdS/CFT correspondence. It also has potential applications in quantum computing and the development of new materials.