Astrophysics, simple parallax error

In summary, the conversation is about calculating parallax with different levels of error. The homework statement mentions Experiment 15.2, from a book that is about 5 years old and does not have solutions. The person is unsure how to calculate parallax with 1% error and 50% error and provides a link to a scan of the page. The only given equation is d = 1/p, and the person has attempted to use p = 1/d = 1/30 for ground-based parallax. However, they are unsure how to account for a 50% error without any solutions or answers from the book.
dink87522

Homework Statement

Experiment 15.2 (note this is from a book about 5 years old, and the book has no solutions!). I am simply unsure how to calculate between parallax with 1% error and parallax with 50% error etc. Please see the scan I done of the page: http://img210.imageshack.us/my.php?image=savevx9.jpghttp://img210.imageshack.us/my.php?image=savevx9.jpg

Homework Equations

d = 1/p

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried p=1/d = 1/30 (for ground based) although how do I then account for '50%' error etc? With this book not having solutions (or even answers!) I am just getting further confused as I know these should be very simple calculations.

Physics news on Phys.org
?

Hello,

Astrophysics can be a complex and challenging subject, so it is understandable that you may have some difficulty with certain concepts. In this case, it seems like you are struggling with calculating parallax with different levels of error. Let me try to help you understand this better.

Parallax is a method used in astronomy to measure the distance to a nearby star by observing its apparent shift in position relative to more distant stars as the Earth moves around the Sun. This shift is caused by the Earth's changing perspective on the star's position. The smaller the parallax angle, the farther away the star is from Earth.

Now, let's consider the equation d = 1/p, where d is the distance to the star and p is the parallax angle. This equation assumes that the parallax angle is measured with 100% accuracy, meaning there is no error in the measurement. However, in reality, there will always be some degree of error in our measurements. This is where the concept of percentage error comes in.

Percentage error is a way to express the difference between the measured value and the actual value as a percentage. It is calculated as (measured value - actual value)/actual value * 100%. So, if we have a parallax angle of 1% error, it means that the measured value is 1% different from the actual value.

To calculate the distance with 1% error, we can use the equation d = 1/p and substitute p with the actual parallax angle plus 1% of that angle. For example, if the actual parallax angle is 30 arcseconds, the measured angle with 1% error would be 30 arcseconds + 1% of 30 arcseconds, which is 30.3 arcseconds. Then, we can plug this value into the equation to get d = 1/30.3 = 0.033 light years.

Similarly, for 50% error, we would use the equation d = 1/p and substitute p with the actual parallax angle plus 50% of that angle (30 arcseconds + 50% of 30 arcseconds = 45 arcseconds). This gives us d = 1/45 = 0.022 light years.

I hope this helps you understand how to calculate parallax with different levels of error. Remember, the key is to add the percentage error to the actual parallax angle before plugging it into the

Related to Astrophysics, simple parallax error

1. What is astrophysics?

Astrophysics is a branch of astronomy that deals with the physical properties and processes of celestial objects, such as stars, planets, galaxies, and the universe as a whole.

2. What is parallax error?

Parallax error is a type of measurement error that occurs when measuring the position of an object from different points of view. In astrophysics, it is often used to measure the distance to stars and other celestial objects.

3. How is simple parallax error calculated?

Simple parallax error is calculated by measuring the apparent shift in the position of an object when viewed from two different points, and using this shift to determine the distance to the object. This is usually done by measuring the angle between the two viewing points.

4. Why is parallax error important in astrophysics?

Parallax error is important in astrophysics because it allows us to measure the distance to objects in space, which is crucial for understanding the nature of the universe. It is also used to study the motion and orbits of celestial objects.

5. How can parallax error be minimized or corrected?

Parallax error can be minimized or corrected by using more accurate measuring instruments, such as telescopes and satellites, and by taking multiple measurements from different locations to reduce the impact of measurement errors. Advanced mathematical techniques can also be used to correct for parallax error.