Simple Distillation of Azeotrope: Propanol + Water

In summary: The distillate from a minimum boiling azeotrope will have a curve going up as the temperature goes up. This is because the more distillate is formed, leading to a higher concentration of the compounds in the distillate.
jnimagine
What happens to an azeotrope during simple distillation??

for example 1-propanol + water... which I have asked here before.. but still not clear...
but also, when you graph the boiling point-composition diagram and look at a specific composition, you read off when the liquid equilibrium is reached and when the vapour eq is reached and stuff by making sort of like staircase thing on the graph
.. but i thought azeotrope can't be separated in simple distillation... then what's its behaviour like??

Physics news on Phys.org
This question is all over the map. Please take it one step at a time.

If you start at the azeotropic composition, you will not get any improvement in purity by simple distillation. If you start with any other composition, either the residue or the distillate (depending on whether the mixture is a positive or negative azeotrope) will get enriched while the other gradually approaches the azeotropic composition with repeated distillations.

Make sure you know the definitions of all the underlined terms.

Gokul43201 said:
This question is all over the map. Please take it one step at a time.

If you start at the azeotropic composition, you will not get any improvement in purity by simple distillation. If you start with any other composition, either the residue or the distillate (depending on whether the mixture is a positive or negative azeotrope) will get enriched while the other gradually approaches the azeotropic composition with repeated distillations.

Make sure you know the definitions of all the underlined terms.

i believe we started with the azotropic composition...
well.. the only info given was the boiling temperature of 1-propanol + water...soo
but for 70% pentanol and 30% water, what can you get out of the boiling-composition graph??

People may not have read your previous threads, so you need to be complete in your description here. I must admit I can not understand your query, so I'll let someone else help out with this.

Gokul43201 said:
People may not have read your previous threads, so you need to be complete in your description here. I must admit I can not understand your query, so I'll let someone else help out with this.

It was regarding the boiling-composition graph.
Say we graphed a minimum boiling azeotrope's graph.
the x-axis tells you how much of each component you have..
say i was to read off 70% of something and 30% of the other component.
From the y-axis I can get the boiling temperature of the liquid and the vapour.
but when it asks you to state the behaviour of the composition (70% water 30% pentanol for ex.) what would you write?
i know that you do the little stair thing where you read off a temperature from the liquid curve and then move horizontally to the vapour curve and stuff... and that's about all i know! lol

Borek said:
Staircase in the case of azeotrope leads you exactly to the azeotrope - take a look at phase diagrams.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:NegativeAzeotropePhaseDiagram.png

oh ok thanks.
but when you graph temperature vs volume of distillate with a minimum boiling azeotrope... What can you conclude from it? It'd probably be a curve going up... as temp goes up, more distillate formed... how does this relate to the fact that it was an azeotrope mixture?? mind you this is simple distillation.. so nothing was separated at a higher temp. right?

Related to Simple Distillation of Azeotrope: Propanol + Water

1. What is simple distillation?

Simple distillation is a method of separating two or more liquids with different boiling points. It involves heating a mixture of liquids until one component reaches its boiling point, vaporizes, and is then collected and condensed back into a liquid form.

2. What is an azeotrope?

An azeotrope is a mixture of two or more liquids that have a constant boiling point and composition. This means that the liquid mixture will boil at a specific temperature and produce vapors with the same composition as the original mixture, making it difficult to separate the components through distillation.

3. Why is propanol and water a common azeotrope?

Propanol and water form an azeotrope because they have similar boiling points and are highly miscible, meaning they can mix together easily. This results in a vapor phase with the same composition as the liquid phase, making it difficult to separate them through simple distillation.

4. How does simple distillation separate propanol and water?

In simple distillation of propanol and water, the mixture is heated until the propanol reaches its boiling point of 97.2°C, vaporizes, and is collected. The remaining liquid will have a higher concentration of water. This process can be repeated multiple times to further purify the propanol.

5. Are there other methods to separate an azeotrope of propanol and water?

Yes, there are other methods such as azeotropic distillation, which involves adding a third component to the mixture to break the azeotrope. Another method is extractive distillation, which involves using a solvent to selectively remove one component from the mixture. However, these methods may be more complex and require additional equipment.