How to Calculate Spring Compression for a Direct Hit in a Projectile Game?

In summary, to hit the target box with a marble fired from a spring-loaded gun, Rhoda must compress the spring 1.10 cm. This will result in a marble traveling 27.0 cm from the end of the table, which is directly proportional to the distance that she compresses the spring.
azure kitsune

Homework Statement

Two children are playing a game in which they try to hit a small box on the floor with a marble fired from a spring-loaded gun that is mounted on a table. The target box is 2.20 m horizontally from the edge of the table. Bobby compresses the spring 1.10 cm, but the center of the marble falls 27.0 cm short of the center of the box. How far should Rhoda compress the spring to score a direct hit? Assume that neither the spring or the ball encounters friction in the gun.

Homework Equations

Elastic potential energy = [tex]1/2 \cdot kx^2[/tex]

(kinematics equations)

The Attempt at a Solution

Let x be the distance that the person compresses the spring. Let d be the horizontal distance the marble travels from the end of the table. (So we are trying to find an x such that d = 2.20 m).

Through a lot of crazy math, involving projectile motion, breaking into x,y components, conservation of energy, etc., I ended up with:

[tex]d = x * \sqrt{ \dfrac{ 2 k \Delta y } { m g } } [/tex] (where k = spring constant, delta y = height of the table, m = mass of object, g = gravitational acceleration)

The important thing about that result was that d and x are directly proportional. Since they give you one pair of (x,d), I could find the constant of proportionality to solve that d = 2.20 m when x = 1.25 cm.

I was wondering if there was any easier way to show that x and d were directly proportional?

Physics news on Phys.org
EDIT: Disregard this post. I didn't read the question clearly.

One problem I see with your equation is: d should not depend on either the height of the table or on gravity, since the marble is moving on a level horizontal surface.

Just what type of force is causing the marble to come to a stop?

Last edited:
azure kitsune said:

Homework Statement

Two children are playing a game in which they try to hit a small box on the floor with a marble fired from a spring-loaded gun that is mounted on a table. The target box is 2.20 m horizontally from the edge of the table. Bobby compresses the spring 1.10 cm, but the center of the marble falls 27.0 cm short of the center of the box. How far should Rhoda compress the spring to score a direct hit? Assume that neither the spring or the ball encounters friction in the gun.

Homework Equations

Elastic potential energy = [tex]1/2 \cdot kx^2[/tex]

(kinematics equations)

The Attempt at a Solution

Let x be the distance that the person compresses the spring. Let d be the horizontal distance the marble travels from the end of the table. (So we are trying to find an x such that d = 2.20 m).

Through a lot of crazy math, involving projectile motion, breaking into x,y components, conservation of energy, etc., I ended up with:

[tex]d = x * \sqrt{ \dfrac{ 2 k \Delta y } { m g } } [/tex] (where k = spring constant, delta y = height of the table, m = mass of object, g = gravitational acceleration)

The important thing about that result was that d and x are directly proportional. Since they give you one pair of (x,d), I could find the constant of proportionality to solve that d = 2.20 m when x = 1.25 cm.

I was wondering if there was any easier way to show that x and d were directly proportional?

There is nothing to break into components. The initial velocity is horizontal, right?
The range is d=v*t (v=initial speed).
The time is constant, no matter what is the initial speed. (t=sqrt(2h/g); h-height of table, constant)

From conservation of energy, v= x*sqrt(k/m)
So d proportional to v prop to x or in full equations
d=v*t= x *sqrt(k/m) * sqrt(2h/g)

Wow, that's what I did, except it took me 1 1/2 page somehow, and then I couldn't understand what I wrote. Thanks for the help.

FAQ: How to Calculate Spring Compression for a Direct Hit in a Projectile Game?

1. What is a "spring and projectile problem"?

A "spring and projectile problem" is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the motion of an object attached to a spring as it is launched into the air. The spring provides the initial force for the object's motion, while gravity and air resistance affect its trajectory.

2. How do you solve a "spring and projectile problem"?

To solve a "spring and projectile problem", you will need to use the equations of motion and Newton's laws of motion to calculate the object's position, velocity, and acceleration at different points in time. You will also need to take into account the properties of the spring, such as its spring constant and the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position.

3. What factors affect the trajectory of a projectile in a "spring and projectile problem"?

The trajectory of a projectile in a "spring and projectile problem" is affected by several factors, including the initial velocity and angle of launch, the mass and shape of the object, the properties of the spring, and external forces such as gravity and air resistance.

4. What is the difference between a projectile and a projectile launched from a spring?

A projectile is any object that is launched into the air and follows a curved path due to the force of gravity. A projectile launched from a spring is a specific type of projectile that is launched with an initial force from a spring, which affects its trajectory and adds complexity to the problem.

5. How can "spring and projectile problems" be applied in real life?

"Spring and projectile problems" can be applied in many real-life scenarios, such as calculating the trajectory of a projectile in sports like basketball or archery, designing a spring-powered toy or machine, or understanding the motion of objects in a spring-loaded mechanism. They are also important in engineering and physics research, where the behavior of springs and projectiles must be carefully studied and understood.

Back