Solve Peskin's QFT Eqn 2.54 with Hints

In summary, the conversation discusses equation 2.54 in Peskin's introductory QFT and how to arrive at it from the previous step. The equation involves Dirac delta functions and re-writing a three-dimensional integral as a four-dimensional integral. The conversation also includes a suggestion to start from the latter form and perform the p^0 integral to understand the equation.
ananya J
QFT Peskin p.30 eqn 2.54

Homework Statement

i am perplexed with eqn 2.54 peskins introductory qft. just can't make out how to arrive at it from the previous step. i think that there are dirac delta funtions involved but simply can't make it out. can somebody help? provide some hint? thanks in advance for ur time

3. The Attempt at a Solution
[tex]\int\ \frac{d^3p} {(2\pi)^3}\ \{ \frac {1}{2E_p}\ e^{-ip.(x-y)}\left|_{p^0 = E_p}\ +\ \frac {1}{-2E_p}\ e^{-ip.(x-y)}\left|_{p^0 = -E_p}\ \}= \int\ \frac{d^3p} {(2\pi)^3}\ \int\ \frac{dp^0} {2p^0}\ e^{-ip.(x-y)}\ \{ \delta (p_0-E_p) +\delta (p_0+E_p)\ \}[/tex] [tex]= \int\ \frac{d^3p} {(2\pi)^3}\ \int\ dp^0\ e^{-ip.(x-y)}\ \delta(p^2-m^2)[/tex]

dont know if iam on the right track.pls correct me if am wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It would be good, if you would write down the equation you want to prove, since I don't have the mentioned book...

What P&S are doing in Eqn. 2.54 is re-writing a three-dimensional integral as a four-dimensional integral:
[tex]\int\frac{d^3p}{(2\pi)^3}\frac{1}{2E_p}[\exp(-ip\cdot(x - y)) - \exp(ip\cdot (x - y))] = \int\frac{d^3p}{(2\pi)^3}\int\frac{dp^0}{2\pi i}\ \frac{-1}{p^2 - m^2}\exp(-ip\cdot(x - y)),[/tex]
where [tex]x^0 > y^0[/tex].

What I would do to understand this is start from the latter form and perform the [tex]p^0[/tex] integral. Break up the denominator into
[tex]p^2 - m^2 = (p^0)^2 - \textbf p^2 - m^2,[/tex]
which has poles at
[tex]p^0 = \pm \sqrt{\textbf p^2 + m^2} = \pm E_p.[/tex]
Contour integration should produce the first expression in the original post [which P&S give as an intermediate step] without too much trouble.

i jumped into conclusions before reading the text further. sorry. anyways thanks so much for ur time & help.:smile:

Last edited:

Related to Solve Peskin's QFT Eqn 2.54 with Hints

1. What is Peskin's QFT Eqn 2.54?

Peskin's QFT Eqn 2.54 is a famous equation in quantum field theory that describes the behavior of particles and fields. It is commonly used to study the interactions between particles and their corresponding fields.

2. Why is solving Peskin's QFT Eqn 2.54 important?

Solving Peskin's QFT Eqn 2.54 is important because it allows us to better understand the fundamental interactions of particles and fields in quantum mechanics. This equation has been extensively studied and has led to many breakthroughs in the field of physics.

3. What are some hints for solving Peskin's QFT Eqn 2.54?

Some hints for solving Peskin's QFT Eqn 2.54 include using Feynman diagrams, understanding the symmetries involved, and utilizing conservation laws. It is also helpful to have a strong understanding of quantum mechanics and field theory principles.

4. Is there a general solution to Peskin's QFT Eqn 2.54?

There is no general solution to Peskin's QFT Eqn 2.54 as it depends on the specific parameters and variables involved in the equation. However, there are various techniques and methods that can be used to solve specific cases of the equation.

5. How can solving Peskin's QFT Eqn 2.54 contribute to scientific research?

Solving Peskin's QFT Eqn 2.54 can contribute to scientific research by providing a deeper understanding of the behavior of particles and fields. This knowledge can then be applied to various fields such as particle physics, cosmology, and condensed matter physics, leading to potential advancements in technology and our understanding of the universe.