Is Argument Culture Hindering Scientific Progress?

• Thread starter rcgldr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Argument
In summary, the conversation discusses an old joke and sketch that demonstrates how forum debates often end up in arguments. Some participants believe that forum debates always end in arguments, while others disagree. The conversation also mentions another sketch that follows a similar theme.
rcgldr
Homework Helper
Physics news on Phys.org
Jeff Reid said:
… and you can imagine this is how many forum debates end up:

NO they DON'T! :frown:

tiny-tim said:
NO they DON'T! :frown:

Why they most certainly do!

Skyhunter said:
Why they most certainly do!

I'm afraid they don't ...

I am glad to find this clip again, I had a philosophy professor who once presented it in class!

It's amazing how young they look in those old sketches.

Redbelly98 said:
It's amazing how young they look in those old sketches.

no, they don't!

Yes they do !

No they don't!

oh sorry, I didn't want an argument.
abuse is down the hall then is it? .

No, that's "Getting Hit On The Head" lessons.

Another one along the same lines
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PJzMHObabo

Related to Is Argument Culture Hindering Scientific Progress?

What does "I came here for an argument" mean?

"I came here for an argument" is a phrase often used to express frustration or a desire to engage in a heated debate or disagreement with someone. It can also be used humorously in a playful argument or banter between friends or colleagues.

Why do people say "I came here for an argument"?

People say "I came here for an argument" because they want to express their desire to engage in a debate or disagreement. It can also be used as a way to assert one's opinion and stand up for themselves in a discussion.

Is "I came here for an argument" always meant to be taken seriously?

Not necessarily. While it can be used seriously to express a strong desire for a debate, it is also often used humorously in a lighthearted or playful manner. Context and tone are important in determining the seriousness of the phrase.

What are some alternatives to saying "I came here for an argument"?

Some alternatives to saying "I came here for an argument" include "I came here to debate", "I came here to disagree", or "I came here to challenge your point of view". These phrases convey a similar sentiment of wanting to engage in a discussion or debate.

How should I respond if someone says "I came here for an argument" to me?

It depends on the context and tone of the statement. If it is said jokingly, you can respond with a playful retort or banter. If it is said seriously, you can ask for clarification or calmly express your willingness or reluctance to engage in a debate. It is important to communicate openly and respectfully in any discussion or disagreement.

Back