Spring Harmonic Oscilation in Gravitational Field

In summary: I always used to get this type of question wrong even though I thought my reasoning was correct and no one ever told me the correct thing.
hi-bob
1. A mass M is attached to a fixed spring of constant K and oscillating with an amplitude A, the spring is hung from the ceiling in a gravitational field with constant free-fall acceleration g.
2. What is the oscillation frequency? Is it affected by gravity?
Mx''=-Kx-mg => ??

3. I figured it should be simply \omega = sqrt(k/m), but it looks like I'm wrong. This question is part of a longer calculation in a multiple choice exam. The only solution I have for comparison is the final result of the computation, but I don't understand the physical explanation. From what they say the frequency is not sqrt(k/m)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why would you assume that the "angular velocity" omega is equal to the frequency?

hi-bob said:
From what they say the frequency is not sqrt(k/m)[/b]

At equilibrium

mg=kx => m/k = x/g

jgens said:
Why would you assume that the "angular velocity" omega is equal to the frequency?

When I said frequency I was actually referring to the angular velocity \omega=2pi*f.
They are practically equivalent.

rock.freak667 said:
At equilibrium

mg=kx => m/k = x/g

OK, how do I get information about the frequency/angular velocity from here?

So I asked around irl, looks like the answer sheet is wrong.
The oscillation frequency remains unchanged by gravity.

hi-bob said:
So I asked around irl, looks like the answer sheet is wrong.
The oscillation frequency remains unchanged by gravity.

If

[tex]T =2 \pi \sqrt{\frac{m}{k}} \ and \ \frac{m}{k}=\frac{x}{g}[/tex]

then doesn't

[tex]T = 2\pi \sqrt{\frac{x}{g}}[/tex]

since T depends on g, doesn't g affect frequency,f (=1/T)?

rock.freak667 said:
No, since x (the equilibrium displacement) is proportional to g. (x = mg/k) If x were a constant independent of g, then your reasoning would be correct.

rock.freak667 said:
If

then doesn't

Certainly not. Think about it this way: Once I hang a spring in a gravitational field the string will strech until it reaches equilibrium at some distance x0 and kx0 = mg. At this point, the net force acting on the block of mass M is zero (just as if we suspended the block in the absence of a gravitational field). Since the net force on the block is zero, the only force that we need to consider is the additional restoritive force acting on the block when we strech the string some distance A from its equilibrium position at x0. Hence, once the spring is at equilibrium our equation for the net force acting on the block becomes F = kx where x is the distance from the blocks equilibrium position at x0. Because of this, the period of oscillation does not depend on the presence of the graviational field.

rock.freak667 said:
If

then doesn't

Try and look at T(g).

T(g) = 2π*√(x/g) = 2π*√(m/k) which is independent of g.

What is the ratio, x/g? It is m/k. And that is a constant value determined only by the spring and the mass of the object attached to it.

I understand better now.

So even if you do this on the moon where g is different. x will extend in relation to g such that m/k will be the same to produce the same period then?

rock.freak667 said:
So even if you do this on the moon where g is different. x will extend in relation to g such that m/k will be the same to produce the same period then?
Exactly. The period has nothing to with gravity. Even if the spring and mass were oriented horizontally, the period of oscillation would be the same.

Doc Al said:
Exactly. The period has nothing to with gravity. Even if the spring and mass were oriented horizontally, the period of oscillation would be the same.

:biggrin: thanks..I always used to get this type of question wrong even though I thought my reasoning was correct and no one ever told me the correct thing.

Related to Spring Harmonic Oscilation in Gravitational Field

1. What is a spring harmonic oscillation in a gravitational field?

A spring harmonic oscillation in a gravitational field refers to the motion of a spring that is attached to a body and is subject to the force of gravity. The spring will oscillate back and forth due to the pull of gravity, creating a repetitive pattern of motion.

2. How does the strength of gravity affect spring harmonic oscillation?

The strength of gravity has a direct impact on the frequency and amplitude of a spring's oscillation. The stronger the force of gravity, the faster the spring will oscillate and the larger its amplitude will be.

3. Can a spring harmonic oscillation occur in a zero-gravity environment?

No, a spring harmonic oscillation requires the presence of gravity to work properly. In a zero-gravity environment, the spring would not experience any force and would not oscillate.

4. What factors can affect the natural frequency of a spring harmonic oscillation?

The natural frequency of a spring harmonic oscillation can be affected by several factors, including the stiffness of the spring, the mass of the attached body, and the strength of gravity. Changes in any of these factors can alter the frequency of the oscillation.

5. How is the period of a spring harmonic oscillation related to its frequency?

The period of a spring harmonic oscillation is the time it takes for the spring to complete one full oscillation. It is inversely proportional to the frequency, meaning that as the frequency increases, the period decreases and vice versa.