Riding on a Photon: Is Time Really Eternal?

• Thread starter hamilton00989
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photon
In summary, the conversation is discussing whether it is possible to be in a frame with a particular velocity. The author suggests that it is possible to ride a photon and the outside observers would say that the clock on the photon frame will stop. From the photon's point of view, all of the universe will be eternity.
hamilton00989
I do aware that it is impossible to be in a frame with C velocity.
But suppose I could ride a photon (suppose). Outside observers will say that my clock ( on the photon frame) will stop.
From my point of view (riding on the photon), all the universe will be eternity ( time will not run).

Is that correct?

hamilton

Physics news on Phys.org
Once again, if you postulate a situation that is impossible under a particular physics theory, it makes no sense to ask "what would that theory say about this situation?"

See this thread...I think the closest you can get to meaningfully answering this sort of question is to talk about how certain things look in the limit as v approaches c:
if I'm moving at some very large fraction of c relative to the galaxy, not only do I measure the galaxy to be highly compressed in the direction I'm going, but I also see clocks on either end of the galaxy as wildly out-of-sync...if the galaxy is 100,000 light years long in its own frame, and I'm moving at speed v relative to it, then two clocks at either end of the galaxy which are synchronized in the galaxy's frame will be out of sync by (100,000 ly)*(v)/c^2 in my frame. So, in the limit as v approaches c, clocks on either end of the galaxy are out-of-sync by 100,000 years, so at the same moment that it's 2008 A.D. on the leading edge, it's 102,008 A.D. on the trailing edge. And yet in the limit as v approaches c, the distance between clocks along the direction of motion is compressed to zero. So in the limit, perhaps you could say that the photon's entire history is traversed instantly, since it's going zero distance and all the different clock-readings it passes are squashed together on this zero-length path. But again, there are a lot of aspects of the limit that aren't well-defined, and it's definitely not correct in SR to talk about a photon having its own rest frame.

hamilton00989 said:
I do aware that it is impossible to be in a frame with C velocity.
But suppose I could ride a photon (suppose). ...
As long as you know that you are doing science fiction (and not science) then go ahead and suppose whatever you want.

Related to Riding on a Photon: Is Time Really Eternal?

1. What is the concept of "Riding on a Photon"?

"Riding on a Photon" is a thought experiment that explores the concept of time and whether it is truly eternal. It involves imagining traveling at the speed of light on a photon and how time would appear to pass for the rider.

2. How does the theory of relativity relate to "Riding on a Photon"?

The theory of relativity, specifically the special theory of relativity, is the basis for the concept of "Riding on a Photon". It states that time is relative and can appear to pass differently for different observers, depending on their relative speeds and positions.

3. Can time really be eternal?

The concept of time being eternal is still a subject of debate and speculation among scientists. While some theories suggest that time is indeed eternal, others propose that it may have a beginning and an end. "Riding on a Photon" is a way to explore these concepts and their implications.

4. How does "Riding on a Photon" challenge our understanding of time?

"Riding on a Photon" challenges our understanding of time by forcing us to think outside of our everyday experiences and consider how time may appear to pass for an observer traveling at the speed of light. It also raises questions about the nature of time and whether it is a fundamental aspect of the universe or a human construct.

5. Are there any real-world implications of "Riding on a Photon"?

While "Riding on a Photon" is primarily a thought experiment, it has implications for our understanding of the universe and the nature of time. It may also have practical applications in the field of space travel, as it could inform our understanding of how time would pass for astronauts traveling at high speeds.