Fourth Roots & Solutions of Complex # -1+$\sqrt{3}$i

In summary, the homework statement is that there are eight roots of the complex number -1+\sqrt{3}i , four of which are conjugate.
icystrike

Homework Statement

i)Find the fourth roots of the complex number -1+[tex]\sqrt{3}i[/tex] , giving your answer in the form of r[tex]e^{i\theta}[/tex] .

ii)Deduce the solution of the equation [tex]z^{8}+2z^{4}+4=0[/tex] , giving your answer exactly in the form r[tex]e^{i\theta}[/tex] .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i)[tex]2^{\frac{1}{4}}e^{(1+3k)\frac{\pi}{6}i}[/tex]

s.t [tex]k=0,\pm1,2[/tex]

ii)[tex]z^{4}=-1\pm\sqrt{3}i[/tex]

z=[tex]2^{\frac{1}{4}}e^{(1+3k)\frac{\pi}{6}i}[/tex]

or

z=[tex]2^{\frac{1}{4}}e^{(-1+3k)\frac{\pi}{6}i}[/tex]

[tex]k=0,\pm1,2[/tex]

They have only included the conjugate case.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
icystrike said:

The Attempt at a Solution

i)[tex]2^{\frac{1}{4}}e^{(1+3k)\frac{\pi}{6}i}[/tex]

s.t [tex]k=0,\pm1,2[/tex]
Actually just a slight correction, it's [itex]k=0, \pm1, -2[/itex] since the restriction on [itex]\theta[/itex] is [itex]-\pi<\theta\leq \pi[/itex] and for k=2, the angle would be [itex]7\pi/6>\pi[/itex]

ii)[tex]z^{4}=-1\pm\sqrt{3}i[/tex]

z=[tex]2^{\frac{1}{4}}e^{(1+3k)\frac{\pi}{6}i}[/tex]

or

z=[tex]2^{\frac{1}{4}}e^{(-1+3k)\frac{\pi}{6}i}[/tex]

[tex]k=0,\pm1,2[/tex]

They have only included the conjugate case.
The restriction on k for the conjugate case is correct.
Yep, they neglected the conjugate. It could just be a test to see if the students are able to realize they need 8 roots, and possibly even to be able to figure out the conjugate is required without solving for z in that polynomial just by inspection that the polynomial is real and if z is a complex root, then the conjugate is too.

Was that all that was troubling you?

Mentallic said:
Actually just a slight correction, it's [itex]k=0, \pm1, -2[/itex] since the restriction on [itex]\theta[/itex] is [itex]-\pi<\theta\leq \pi[/itex] and for k=2, the angle would be [itex]7\pi/6>\pi[/itex]

The restriction on k for the conjugate case is correct.
Yep, they neglected the conjugate. It could just be a test to see if the students are able to realize they need 8 roots, and possibly even to be able to figure out the conjugate is required without solving for z in that polynomial just by inspection that the polynomial is real and if z is a complex root, then the conjugate is too.

Was that all that was troubling you?

yes. to summaries , there will be 8 roots ,the initial 4 roots and the 4 conjugate roots.
However, i thought the [tex]\theta[/tex] that is limited is referring to [tex]re^{i(\theta+2k\pi)}[/tex] , thus , whatever k is substituted does not matter so long as they are consecutive.

Last edited:
Actually it would be correct to say that k=0,1,2...(n-1) where n is the number of roots required because then you wouldn't have any multiple roots that clash. But take a look at your solutions: k=-1 and k=2 are the same root, and since you took k=-1 rather than just say k=0,1,2,3 then it is telling me that you are required to restrict [itex]\theta[/itex] to [itex]-\pi<\theta\leq \pi[/itex]

And yes, of course the roots are going to be consecutive. but when you have an even number of roots to deal with - you must consider when you take [itex]k=0,\pm1,\pm2...\pm(n-1)/2,x[/itex] for even n roots, will [itex]x=(n+1)/2[/itex] or [itex]-(n+1)/2[/itex]? Using actual numbers will make it easier to realize for what case x is positive or negative, but I can tell you now since I've learned from my experience that if the principle root (the first root, with k=0) is positive, then x is negative and vice versa.

icystrike said:
However, i thought the [tex]\theta[/tex] that is limited is referring to [tex]re^{i(\theta+2k\pi)}[/tex] , thus , whatever k is substituted does not matter so long as they are consecutive.

No, Mentallic :smile: is right …

look again at the question …
icystrike said:
… giving your answer exactly in the form r[tex]e^{i\theta}[/tex]

Just because you've decided to use the same letter, θ, as the question, that doesn't make it the same.

The whole exponent has to be the principal value.

(of course, if you really have an aversion to -2, you can write it e(3k - 2)π/6, k = 0, ±1, 2 :wink:)

tiny-tim said:
No, Mentallic :smile: is right …

look again at the question …

Just because you've decided to use the same letter, θ, as the question, that doesn't make it the same.

The whole exponent has to be the principal value.

(of course, if you really have an aversion to -2, you can write it e(3k - 2)π/6, k = 0, ±1, 2 :wink:)

Oh! got that! Thank you! (=

FAQ: Fourth Roots & Solutions of Complex # -1+$\sqrt{3}$i

1. What are fourth roots?

Fourth roots are the numbers that, when multiplied by themselves four times, result in a given number. For example, the fourth root of 16 is 2, since 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 = 16.

2. What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that contains both a real part and an imaginary part. It is written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part (with i representing the square root of -1).

3. What is the solution of complex number -1+$\sqrt{3}$i?

The solution of this complex number is -2+2i, since (-2+2i)^4 = -1+$\sqrt{3}$i.

4. How do you find the fourth root of a complex number?

To find the fourth root of a complex number, you can use the formula (a + bi)^(1/4) = c + di, where c and d are the real and imaginary parts of the fourth root, respectively. You can also express the complex number in polar form and use the de Moivre's theorem to find the fourth root.

5. What is the significance of the fourth roots of -1+$\sqrt{3}$i?

The fourth roots of -1+$\sqrt{3}$i are important in understanding the properties of complex numbers and their solutions. They also have applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics.

Back