How to Use Multi-Quote: Troubleshooting Tips

• Thread starter Hoku
  • Start date
In summary: I think. Haven't actually tried it. :)In summary, the conversation is about how to use the multi-quote feature on the forum. The initial problem was that when the "multi quote" button was clicked, nothing seemed to happen. It was explained that this button is used to quote from multiple posts and that after clicking it on the first post, it should be clicked on all the other posts that need to be quoted before clicking the regular "quote" button. The process was reiterated and the user also asked if copying and pasting the quote information would work. The conversation then turned to discussing the manual copying and pasting of quotes and how to use the multi-quote feature correctly.
Hoku
I'm really embarrased that I haven't been able to figure this out. When I hit "multi quote", it just makes the button change color but nothing else happens. So I think maybe it's a button that modifies the "quote" button. Naturally, then, I hit the quote button next. But it doesn't seem to change anything. What am I missing here?

Physics news on Phys.org
You mash "multi-quote" if you want to quote from more than one post. So you mash that button on the first post you want to quote from, and then (let's say you want to quote from three posts) you mash "multi-quote" on the second post you want to quote from, then you mash "quote" on the final post you want to quote from. They all need to be separate posts. Once you click the "quote" button after clicking the "multi-quote" button on different posts, you'll get a reply screen with all of the posts you wanted to quote from in it.

Don't worry. It's not self-evident. It took me some time to figure it out. :smile:

I see! Thank you. Well, I'm trying to separate different quotes from the same post. Will it work if I just copy and paste the information in the brackets? I'm thinking that must be the way to do it. I'd rather ask first, though, so I don't mess up my post with brackets and such.

Hoku said:
Well, I'm trying to separate different quotes from the same post.
Well, if you find a way, let me know.

DaveC426913 said:
Well,

DaveC426913 said:
if you find a way,

DaveC426913 said:
let me know.

I just cut and paste the [ QUOTE=...] parts and the [ /QUOTE] parts.

GeorginaS said:
You mash "multi-quote" if you want to quote from more than one post. So you mash that button on the first post you want to quote from, and then (let's say you want to quote from three posts)

GeorginaS said:
you mash "multi-quote" on the second post you want to quote from, then you mash "quote" on the final post you want to quote from. They all need to be separate posts. Once you click the "quote" button after clicking the "multi-quote" button

GeorginaS said:
on different posts, you'll get a reply screen with all of the posts you wanted to quote from in it.

Don't worry. It's not self-evident. It took me some time to figure it out. :smile:
You mean like this?

Edited to add: Hah! lisab beat me to it. That's because she's all about community spirit. :smile:

DaveC426913 said:
Well, if you find [ /QUOTE]

DaveC426913 said:
a way, let me know.[ /QUOTE]

Copy and paste like lisab said, without the spaces that I put in that mess it up. I messed them up just so you could see what it looks like in the code part.

GeorginaS said:
You mash "multi-quote" if you want to quote from more than one post. So you mash that button on the first post you want to quote from, and then (let's say you want to quote from three posts) you mash "multi-quote" on the second post you want to quote from, then you mash "quote" on the final post you want to quote from.
I'm using this thread as practice to see if copying and pasting works.

GeorginaS said:
They all need to be separate posts. Once you click the "quote" button after clicking the "multi-quote" button on different posts, you'll get a reply screen with all of the posts you wanted to quote from in it.

It should be self evident once I submit this.

Yay you!

How funny! I began my last post long ago but was distracted by my daughters needs and I left it open on the reply page for all that time. If I had refreshed it before continuing, I would've seen that everyone had already beat me to it! Thanks for your help, everyone.

lisab said:
I just cut and paste the [ QUOTE=...] parts and the [ /QUOTE] parts.

:rollseyes: Yes. I can do it manually too. The OP seeemd to be wondering if there were a better way.

Wasn't the original question about using the multi-quote feature?

Hoku said:
I'm really embarrased that I haven't been able to figure this out. When I hit "multi quote", it just makes the button change color but nothing else happens. So I think maybe it's a button that modifies the "quote" button. Naturally, then, I hit the quote button next. But it doesn't seem to change anything. What am I missing here?

GeorginaS said:
You mash "multi-quote" if you want to quote from more than one post. So you mash that button on the first post you want to quote from, and then (let's say you want to quote from three posts) you mash "multi-quote" on the second post you want to quote from, then you mash "quote" on the final post you want to quote from. They all need to be separate posts. Once you click the "quote" button after clicking the "multi-quote" button on different posts, you'll get a reply screen with all of the posts you wanted to quote from in it.

Hoku said:
I see! Thank you. Well, I'm trying to separate different quotes from the same post. Will it work if I just copy and paste the information in the brackets? I'm thinking that must be the way to do it. I'd rather ask first, though, so I don't mess up my post with brackets and such.

Okay, enough of me playing around. To requote:
When I hit "multi quote", it just makes the button change color but nothing else happens.
When the button changes color, then that post is included in the list of posts to be multi-quoted. Click "multi-quote" on all the posts you want to include, then finally click the regular "quote" button and they will all appear as quoted posts in your reply textbox. I believe they appear in the same order that you click "multi-quote", not necessarily chronological.

I'm using this thread as a scratchpad to see if I can make something "quoted" without having a name attached. I'm going to do this by putting this, [ / Q U O T E ], at the beginning and ending of a phrase.

[/QUOTE]Does this work?[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]That's odd. I did do it in caps. Let me try again..[/QUOTE]

Or maybe it's like this...

[ Q U O T E = ] This is how it worked (but without the spaces, obviously). [ / Q U O T E ]

We would prefer that you use the full auto quote that has the link to the post. If you don't, people will have no idea where the quote came from or what context it was in.

If you want to use the plain quote tags for further responses in your same post where you used the original quote link, that is ok.

Thanks for the clarification. I agree, it is obviously easier for everyone to use the full auto quote. I had in mind using the "general quote" as a way of isolating quotes cut and pasted from, say, another website. Obviously, if I did so, I would need to manually cite where the quote came from.

Related to How to Use Multi-Quote: Troubleshooting Tips

1. How do I select multiple quotes to use with Multi-Quote?

To select multiple quotes with Multi-Quote, hold down the "Ctrl" key on your keyboard while clicking on each quote you want to use. This will highlight them and allow you to use them together.

2. Why can't I use Multi-Quote on some forums or websites?

Multi-Quote may not be enabled on all forums or websites. Additionally, some forums may have restrictions on how many quotes can be used in a single post. If you are having trouble using Multi-Quote, it is best to check with the forum or website's guidelines or contact their support team.

3. Can I customize the format of the quotes when using Multi-Quote?

Yes, you can customize the format of the quotes when using Multi-Quote. This can typically be done in the settings or preferences section of the forum or website. You may also be able to change the formatting in the Multi-Quote tool itself.

4. How do I remove a quote from the Multi-Quote selection?

To remove a quote from the Multi-Quote selection, simply click on the quote again to deselect it. You can also hold down the "Ctrl" key and click on a selected quote to remove it from the selection.

5. Why is my Multi-Quote not working?

There could be several reasons why your Multi-Quote is not working. It could be due to a technical issue with the forum or website, a problem with your internet connection, or an error on your end such as not using the correct key combination to select quotes. If you are still having trouble, try reaching out to the forum or website's support team for further assistance.