Real analysis help(countable union)

In summary, the problem is to show that if a set E is open in the real numbers, then it can be expressed as a countable union of disjoint intervals. This can be done by putting open intervals around each rational point in E, combining the intersecting intervals, and proving that the resulting family of intervals is at most countable. This can be achieved by thinking about rational numbers and using them to construct a pairwise disjoint family of intervals.
mynameisfunk

Homework Statement

Show that if [tex]E \subseteq R[/tex] is open, then [tex]E [/tex] can be written as an at most countable union of disjoint intervals, i.e., [tex]E=\bigcup_n(a_n,b_n)[/tex]. (It's possible that [tex]a_n=-\inf[/tex] or [tex]b_n=+\inf[/tex] for some [tex]n[/tex].) Hint: One way to do this is to put open intervals around each rational point in E in such a way that every point of E and only points of E are contained somewhere in these intervals. Then combine the intervals that intersect.

The Attempt at a Solution

OK, intuitively, I get this, but what confuses me about the method they suggest is when I'm told to combine the intervals that intersect. Doesn't that imply that they aren't disjoint?! At firstI had the idea to take the set of all Neigborhoods of all the rationals in E of rational radius that do not intersect the complement of E, but these are not disjoint. Then I decided to take an arbitrarily large neighborhood in E and then take neighborhoods of the space that is left over and keep filling in the gaps with more and more neighborhoods until I have an at most countable amount of neighborhoods that are dense in E, but I had trouble getting that down and I also figured I should probably utilize the hint... But the hint confuses me more than the problem statement.

Physics news on Phys.org
The hint actually seems kind of backwards to me (to see why it's backwards, consider trying to cover all of [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex] by covering rational [tex]q < \pi[/tex] with [tex](-\infty, \pi)[/tex] and rational [tex]q > \pi[/tex] with [tex](\pi, \infty)[/tex]).

Try following this outline instead.

1. Express [tex]E = \bigcup_{x \in E} U_x[/tex] where [tex]U_x[/tex] is an open interval containing [tex]x[/tex].

2. Figure out some way to group the [tex]U_x[/tex] together to produce [tex]E = \bigcup_{\alpha\in A} V_\alpha[/tex], where [tex]\{V_\alpha\}_{\alpha \in A}[/tex] is a pairwise disjoint family of open intervals, and each [tex]V_\alpha[/tex] is a union of some of the [tex]U_x[/tex].

3. Prove that the disjoint family [tex]\{V_\alpha\}_{\alpha\in A}[/tex] is at most countable. (Here is where you need to think about rational numbers.)

Related to Real analysis help(countable union)

What is a countable union in real analysis?

A countable union in real analysis is a mathematical concept in which a collection of sets is combined into a single set by taking the union of all the elements in the collection. A countable union specifically refers to a collection that is countable, meaning that the number of sets in the collection can be put in a one-to-one correspondence with the set of natural numbers.

How is a countable union different from a union in general?

A countable union is different from a union in general because it specifically refers to a collection of sets that is countable. A union in general can refer to any collection of sets, regardless of its size or countability.

What are some examples of countable unions in real analysis?

One example of a countable union in real analysis is the set of all natural numbers, which is a countable collection of sets. Another example is the set of all rational numbers, which can also be represented as a countable union of sets.

What is the importance of countable unions in real analysis?

Countable unions are important in real analysis because they allow us to represent larger sets in terms of smaller, more manageable sets. This can be useful in proofs and calculations, as well as in understanding the structure and properties of various mathematical objects.

Are there any limitations to using countable unions in real analysis?

One limitation of countable unions in real analysis is that they can only be used for collections of sets that are countable. This means that some sets, such as the set of real numbers, cannot be represented as a countable union. Additionally, countable unions may not always preserve certain properties of the original sets, so caution must be taken when using them in proofs and calculations.