QFT proof from Peskin and Schroeder

In summary, the equation becomes: -\int d^3p f(\vec p)=-\int_{-\infty}^{-\infty}d^3q f(-\vec q)=-\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} d^3q f(\vec q)=-\int d^3p f(\vec p)\,which is still valid, but the order of the terms needs to be reversed.
Norman
I am unsure if this is the proper forum for this, since it is not actually homework... but here goes anyway.

I am trying to Prove Peskin and Schroeder equation 2.33( the second equal sign)

[tex] P=-\int d^3 x \pi (x) \nabla \phi (x) = \int \frac{d^3 x}{(2 \pi)^3} p a^{\dagger}_p a_p [/tex]

so far what I have done:
written the fields as the momentum space quantities, done the integral over the spatial coordinates to give me the delta function and integrated over the p' variables to give me this:

The last step forces p'=-p

[tex] \int \frac{d^3}{(2 \pi)^3} \frac{p}{2} (a^{\dagger}_{-p} a_{-p} + a^{\dagger}_{-p} a^{\dagger}_p - a_p a_{-p} - a_p a^{\dagger}_p ) [/tex]

I don't see how these operators cancel out to give :
[tex] () = 2a^{\dagger}_p a_p [/tex]

Any help would be greatly appreciated... even just a hint would be very helpfull.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
How does [tex] a_{-p}^{\dag} [/tex] relate to [tex] a_{p} [/tex]? I can't remember, it was a long time ago when I did QFT. There has to be a commutation relation somewhere that will allow for combining terms.

I think you can cancel those 2 and 3 terms in which you only create or only destroy : they will give zero.
Then the first term, you change p to -p, and the last term you use commutation to order it right (create first, destroy after !) which switch sign. Maybe a problem with an overall constant at this last step.
Sorry, I am not rigorous. I do not have the book right here.

The integrals of [tex]p^i a(\vec p)a(-\vec p)[/tex] and [tex]p^i a^\dagger (\vec p) a^\dagger (-\vec p)[/tex] are both =0 because they are odd functions of [tex]\vec p[/tex].

Suppose that

[tex]f(-\vec p)=-f(\vec p)[/tex]

Now look at this:

[tex]\int d^3p f(\vec p)=-\int_{\infty}^{-\infty}d^3q f(-\vec{q})=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} d^3q f(-\vec q)=-\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} d^3q f(\vec q)=-\int d^3p f(\vec p)[/tex]

1. Change variables, q=-p.
2. "Reverse" the integration interval.
3. Use f(-q)=-f(q).
4. Rename the integration variable to p.
5. Note that the equation is now in the form A=-A.

The same change of variables will help you deal with the first term. I think you should also check the signs in front of each term. They look wrong to me. I think they should be either -++- or +--+, but I could be wrong about that. I'm too lazy to check it carefully right now.

Last edited:

Related to QFT proof from Peskin and Schroeder

1. What is the significance of the Peskin and Schroeder QFT proof?

The proof presented by Peskin and Schroeder is significant because it provides a rigorous mathematical foundation for quantum field theory, which is a fundamental theory in physics that describes the behavior of particles at the quantum level. This proof helps to bridge the gap between the theoretical predictions of quantum field theory and experimental observations, allowing for more accurate and precise calculations.

2. How does the proof in Peskin and Schroeder differ from other QFT proofs?

The proof in Peskin and Schroeder is unique in that it utilizes the concept of renormalization, which is a mathematical technique that accounts for the infinite values that arise in quantum field theory calculations. This allows for a more consistent and reliable approach to solving quantum field theory problems.

3. Can the QFT proof in Peskin and Schroeder be applied to all quantum field theories?

While the proof in Peskin and Schroeder is a powerful and widely used tool in quantum field theory, it is not applicable to all theories. Some theories, such as those involving supersymmetry, require different techniques and approaches to prove their validity.

4. What are the implications of the QFT proof for our understanding of the universe?

The QFT proof presented by Peskin and Schroeder has greatly enhanced our understanding of the fundamental laws that govern the universe. It has allowed for more precise calculations and predictions of particle behavior, and has also led to the development of new theories and concepts, such as the Standard Model of particle physics.

5. Is the QFT proof in Peskin and Schroeder considered to be a complete and final proof?

While the QFT proof in Peskin and Schroeder is widely accepted and has been extensively tested, it is not considered to be a complete and final proof. As our understanding of the universe continues to evolve, it is likely that new theories and techniques will emerge that may further refine or expand upon the current proof.