Electric Field of a Polarized Electret

In summary, we are working with a uniformly polarized cylindrical electret with a radius of 10h and a length of h. The polarization is given by Pk, where k is a unit vector along the axis. We are asked to draw the electric field lines, calculate the electric field at the center of the cylinder, and calculate the electric field on the midplane of the cylinder at a distance of 100h from the center using the approximation of a point dipole. The bound charge distribution should be considered to determine the direction of the field lines. The midplane refers to the plane orthogonal to the axis of the cylinder, passing through its center. The point in the midplane 100h from the center would be at r=
xxbigelxx

Homework Statement

An elecret is a dielectric that has a quasi-permanent polarization when there is no applied field. Consider a uniformly polarized cylindrical electret. The cylinder has a radius of 10h and a length h. The polarization is Pk where k is a unit vector along the axis.

a. Draw the electric field lines.
b. Calculate the electric field at the center of the cylinder. Ignore edge effects.
c. Calculate the electric field on the midplane of the cylinder at a distance
100h from the center. The approximation of a point dipole can be used since the distance is very large.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I need help with pretty much all of this problem. I am unsure of which formulas to use, as well as drawing the field lines. Would the field lines just be from the bottom of the cylinder to the top of it? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
xxbigelxx said:

Homework Statement

An elecret is a dielectric that has a quasi-permanent polarization when there is no applied field. Consider a uniformly polarized cylindrical electret. The cylinder has a radius of 10h and a length h. The polarization is Pk where k is a unit vector along the axis.

a. Draw the electric field lines.
b. Calculate the electric field at the center of the cylinder. Ignore edge effects.
c. Calculate the electric field on the midplane of the cylinder at a distance
100h from the center. The approximation of a point dipole can be used since the distance is very large.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I need help with pretty much all of this problem. I am unsure of which formulas to use, as well as drawing the field lines. Would the field lines just be from the bottom of the cylinder to the top of it? Thanks.

Well, field lines always go from positive charges to negative charges, right? So the first step is to figure out how the bound charge is distributed...how are bound surface and volume charge densities related to polarization?

I think I made some progress here. I have the E lines going from the top to the bottom.
My only question remaining is for part c. Does the midplane mean above the cylinder, or to the side of it? I calculated the distance as if its 100h above the cylinder, along the axis.

xxbigelxx said:
Does the midplane mean above the cylinder, or to the side of it? I calculated the distance as if its 100h above the cylinder, along the axis.

The midplane is the plane orthogonal to the axis of the cylinder, passign through its center. So, if your cylinder is centered on the origin (going from z=-h/2 to z=+h/2), a point in its midplane 100h from the center would be at r=100h, z=0 in cylindrical coordinates.

So I would use this equation with a theta value of 90?

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 799

Related to Electric Field of a Polarized Electret

1. What is an electret and how is it different from a magnet?

An electret is a material that has a permanent electric charge. It is different from a magnet because the electric charge does not result from moving electrons, it is a result of the material's molecular structure.

2. How does an electret create an electric field?

An electret creates an electric field through the alignment of its electric dipoles. These dipoles are the result of the material's permanent electric charge.

3. Can the strength of an electric field be changed in an electret?

Yes, the strength of an electric field in an electret can be changed by altering the alignment of its electric dipoles. This can be done through physical manipulation or by applying an external electric field.

4. What is the role of polarization in the electric field of an electret?

Polarization is the process of aligning the electric dipoles in an electret. This alignment is what creates the electric field in the material.

5. What are some applications of the electric field of a polarized electret?

The electric field of a polarized electret has various applications, including in microphones, speakers, and sensors. It is also used in electrostatic air filters and in some medical devices.