What is Energy? - Unpacking Hard Definitions

In summary, Energy is the ability to impart vis viva and is also measured as the physical change of a system that is conserved due to temporal displacement symmetry. It is also connected to Noether's theorem. The concept of vis viva refers to the living force, while temporal displacement symmetry means that space-time looks the same regardless of time displacement. This results in the conservation of energy over time, making it a measure of the physical change of a system. However, the exact meaning and relationship between energy and these concepts may still be unclear and require further study.
I Like Pi
What is Energy? - Hard energy definitions

Explain this definition: energy is the ability to impart vis viva (mv2) Is it a well definition?

Here's a more complex definition: energy is that measure of the physical change of a system that is conserved as a result of temporal displacement symmetry. Explain your interpretation of this definition

I'm a bit lost as to what these definitions mean :confused:

What is vis viva?

**I think that the what the second one means is that energy is the measure of the change of the system that is conserved as a result of time travel?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi I Like Pi! :smile:
I Like Pi said:
I'm a bit lost as to what these definitions mean :confused:

What is vis viva?

**I think that the what the second one means is that energy is the measure of the change of the system that is conserved as a result of time travel?

"vis" means force, and "vis viva" is "living force" (as opposed to "vis insita", which is "innate force", or inertia).

For some details, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vis_viva"

"temporal displacement symmetry" means that space-time, and physics generally, looks the same now as it did a thousand years ago and as it will tomorrow … a displacement in time makes no difference, so physics has time-displacement symmetry

(this is connected with Noether's theorem)

Last edited by a moderator:
tiny-tim said:
Hi I Like Pi! :smile:"vis" means force, and "vis viva" is "living force" (as opposed to "vis insita", which is "innate force", or inertia).

For some details, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vis_viva"

"temporal displacement symmetry" means that space-time, and physics generally, looks the same now as it did a thousand years ago and as it will tomorrow … a displacement in time makes no difference, so physics has time-displacement symmetry

(this is connected with Noether's theorem)

Hey tiny-tim! :smile:

Thanks for the reply! so does the definition "energy is the ability to impart vis viva (mv2);" work? like what does it directly mean? I don't think the definition is right, though I'm not sure why :confused:

EDIT: wait, i think this is wrong because that would mean that energy is equivalent to momentum x speed. and momentum is derived from energy? :confused:

and for the second one? energy is that measure of the physical change of a system that is conserved as a result of temporal displacement symmetry. I don't seem to understand this... If the displacement in time doesn't make a difference, then how can there be a physical change of the system? Aw man, i think i confused myself... :redface:

Thanks tim, you're a lifesaver

EDIT: wait, if the space-time remains the same/temporal displacement symmetry... that means that that there is a conservation of energy, and the amount of energy yesterday is the same as today, and tomorrow, etc. this results into energy being the measure of the physical change of a system that is conserved.. <-- though i don't understand that last part :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
I Like Pi said:
Hey tiny-tim! :smile:

Thanks for the reply! so does the definition "energy is the ability to impart vis viva (mv2);" work? and what does it directly mean? I don't think definition is right, though I'm not sure why :confused:

I dunno, I never did that sort of course.

Is this from a history-of-science course?

Anyway, those wikipedia articles should be some help. :smile:
and for the second one? energy is that measure of the physical change of a system that is conserved as a result of temporal displacement symmetry. I don't seem to understand this... If the displacement in time doesn't make a difference, then how can there be a physical change of the system? Aw man, i think i confused myself... :redface:

Thanks tim, you're a lifesaver

EDIT: wait, if the space-time remains the same/temporal displacement symmetry... that means that that there is a conservation of energy, and the amount of energy yesterday is the same as today, and tomorrow, etc. this results into energy being the measure of the physical change of a system that is conserved.. <-- though i don't understand that last part :confused:

Have you covered Noether's theorem in your course?

tiny-tim said:
I dunno, I never did that sort of course.

Is this from a history-of-science course?

Anyway, those wikipedia articles should be some help. :smile:

Have you covered Noether's theorem in your course?

No, it's a physics course, though we are studying implications and how real energy definitions are. And no, but I will check it out, maybe it'll help. Thanks so much! :smile:

Related to What is Energy? - Unpacking Hard Definitions

1. What is the definition of energy?

Energy is the ability to do work or cause change. It is present in all objects and can take many forms, such as thermal, electrical, chemical, and mechanical energy.

2. How is energy measured?

Energy is measured in units called joules (J). Other common units of energy include kilojoules (kJ) and kilowatt-hours (kWh).

3. What are the different forms of energy?

The different forms of energy include thermal energy (heat), radiant energy (light), electrical energy, chemical energy, nuclear energy, and mechanical energy.

4. What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.

5. How is energy used in everyday life?

Energy is used in many ways in our daily lives, such as powering our homes and vehicles, running electronic devices, and providing the heat and light we need for everyday tasks. It is also essential for the growth and functioning of living organisms.