Self consistent spin wave theory

In summary, the conversation discussed the Hamiltonian for a system of bose operators in the context of SCSW theory. The Hamiltonian includes terms for magnon-magnon interactions and is defined in terms of the operators \hat{a}_i,\hat{a}_i^+,\hat{b}_j,\hat{b}_j^+. The term \hat{H}_4^{SC} represents the weak coupled superconductor and is an approximation of the identity. The method of mean field theory is used in this context and the conversation also addressed some corrections to the Hamiltonian.
Petar Mali
[tex]\hat{H}=\hat{H}_0+S\sum_{i,j}I_{i,j}(\hat{a}_i\hat{b}_j+\hat{a}_i^+\hat{b}_j^++\hat{b}
^+_j\hat{b}_j+\hat{a}
^+_i\hat{a}_i)-\sum_{i,j}I_{i,j}[\frac{1}{2}(\hat{a}_i\hat{b}
^+_j\hat{b}_j\hat{b}_j+\hat{a}^+_i\hat{a}^+_i\hat{a}_i\hat{b}
^+_j)+\hat{a}
^+_i\hat{a}_i\hat{b}
^+_j\hat{b}_j][/tex]

[tex]\hat{a}_i,\hat{a}_i^+,\hat{b}_j,\hat{b}_j^+[/tex] - bose operators

SCSW - theory

[tex]\hat{H}=\hat{H}_0+\hat{H}_2+\hat{H}_4^{SC}[/tex]

[tex]\hat{H}_2=S\sum_{i,j}I_{i,j}(\hat{a}_i\hat{b}_j+\hat{a}_i^+\hat{b}_j^++\hat{b}
^+_j\hat{b}_j+\hat{a}
^+_i\hat{a}_i)[/tex]

How is [tex]\hat{H}^{SC}_{4}[/tex] defined?

Term[tex]-\sum_{i,j}I_{i,j}[\frac{1}{2}(\hat{a}_i\hat{b}
^+_j\hat{b}_j\hat{b}_j+\hat{a}^+_i\hat{a}^+_i\hat{a}_i\hat{b}
^+_j)+\hat{a}
^+_i\hat{a}_i\hat{b}
^+_j\hat{b}_j][/tex] represent magnon - magnon interractions.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In textbook which I had

[tex]\hat{H}_4^{SC}=-\sum_{i,j}I_{i,j}[\hat{a}^+_i\hat{a}_i(\langle
\hat{b}^+_j\hat{b}_j\rangle+\langle\hat{b}^+_j\hat{a}^+_i\rangle)+\hat{b}^+_j\hat{b}_j(\langle\hat{a}^+_i\hat{a}_i\rangle+
\langle\hat{b}_j\hat{a}_i\rangle)+\hat{a}_i\hat{b}_j(\langle\hat{a}_i^+\hat{b}_j^+\rangle+\langle\hat{b}_j^+\hat{b}_j\rangle)
+\frac{1}{2}\hat{a}_i^+\hat{a}_i^+\langle\hat{b}_j^+\hat{a}_i\rangle+\frac{1}{2}\hat{a}_i^+\hat{a}_i^+\langle \hat{b}_j^+\hat{a}_i
\rangle+\frac{1}{2}\hat{b}_j^+\hat{a}_i(\langle \hat{b}_j\hat{b}_j\rangle+\frac{1}{2}\langle\hat{a}_i^+\hat{a}_i\rangle)][/tex]

Can you explain me this?

Any help?

For example

[tex]\hat{a}_i^+\hat{a}_i\hat{b}_j^+\hat{b}_j=\hat{a}_i^+\hat{a}_i\langle \hat{b}_j^+\hat{b}_j \rangle+\hat{b}_j^+\hat{b}_j\langle \hat{a}_i^+\hat{a}_i \rangle+\hat{a}_i\hat{b}^+_j\langle \hat{a}_i^+\hat{b}_j \rangle+\hat{a}_i^+\hat{b}_j \langle\hat{a}_i\hat{b}_j^+\rangle+\hat{a}_i^+\hat{b}_j^+\langle \hat{a}_i\hat{b}_j\rangle+\hat{a}_i\hat{b}_j\langle \hat{a}_i^+\hat{b}_j^+ \rangle[/tex]

Correct? Can you explain me this? Thanks!

This is more like a Bogoliubov's method.

I think that is neither of that!

This is some kind of approximation.

Maybe approximation of identity

[tex]\hat{A}\hat{B}=\hat{A}\langle \hat{B} \rangle+\langle\hat{A}\rangle \hat{B}-\langle\hat{A}\hat{B}\rangle+(\hat{A}-\langle \hat{A}\rangle)(\hat{B}-\langle \hat{B}\rangle)[/tex]

?

[tex]\hat{A}\hat{B}=\hat{A}\langle \hat{B} \rangle+\langle\hat{A}\rangle \hat{B}-\langle\hat{A}\hat{B}\rangle+(\hat{A}-\langle \hat{A}\rangle)(\hat{B}-\langle \hat{B}\rangle)[/tex]

[tex]\hat{C}\hat{D}=\hat{C}\langle \hat{D} \rangle+\langle\hat{C}\rangle \hat{D}-\langle\hat{C}\hat{D}\rangle+(\hat{C}-\langle \hat{C}\rangle)(\hat{D}-\langle \hat{D}\rangle)[/tex]

So

[tex]\hat{A}\hat{B}\hat{C}\hat{D}=?[/tex]

Anybody knows?

Last edited:
Any idea?

This is a method of mean field theory.

It is used for the weak coupled superconductor.

if there is only <a+a>, that is Hartree-Fock approximation.
If there contains <a+a+> or <aa>, that is mean field theory.

I made a mistake in Hamiltonian

It looks like

[tex]\hat{H}_4^{SC}=-\sum_{i,j}I_{i,j}\{\hat{a}^+_i\hat{a}_i(\langle \hat{b}^+_j\hat{b}_j\rangle+\langle
\hat{a}^+_i\hat{b}^+_j\rangle)+\hat{b}^+_j\hat{b}_j(\langle
\hat{a}^+_i\hat{a}_i\rangle+\langle\hat{a}_i\hat{b}_j\rangle)+\hat{a}_i\hat{b}_j(\langle
\hat{a}^+_i\hat{b}^+_j\rangle+\langle\hat{b}^+_j\hat{b}_j\rangle)+\frac{1}{2}\hat{a}^+_i\hat{a}^+_i\langle\hat{a}_i\hat{b}
^+_j\rangle+\frac{1}{2}\hat{b}_j\hat{b}_j\langle\hat{a}_i\hat{b}
^+_j\rangle+\frac{1}{2}\hat{a}_i\hat{b}^+_j(\langle\hat{a}^+_i\hat{a}^+_i\rangle+\langle\hat{b}_j\hat{b}_j\rangle)\}[/tex]

Related to Self consistent spin wave theory

1. What is self consistent spin wave theory?

Self consistent spin wave theory is a theoretical framework used to study the behavior of magnetic materials. It takes into account the interactions between spin waves (the collective oscillations of magnetic moments) and the underlying crystal structure. It is based on the assumption that the spin wave amplitudes and the crystal structure deformations are self-consistently determined.

2. How does self consistent spin wave theory differ from other theories of magnetism?

Self consistent spin wave theory differs from other theories of magnetism in that it considers the effects of spin wave interactions on the underlying crystal structure. This allows for a more accurate description of the magnetic properties of materials, especially at low temperatures where spin waves play a dominant role.

3. What are the advantages of using self consistent spin wave theory?

The main advantage of using self consistent spin wave theory is that it provides a more accurate description of the magnetic properties of materials, especially at low temperatures. It also allows for the study of spin wave interactions, which play a crucial role in determining the behavior of magnetic materials.

4. What are the limitations of self consistent spin wave theory?

One limitation of self consistent spin wave theory is that it is a mean-field theory, which means it does not take into account quantum fluctuations. This can be a significant drawback when studying materials at very low temperatures. Additionally, the theory assumes a perfect crystal lattice, which may not be the case in real materials.

5. How is self consistent spin wave theory applied in practical research?

Self consistent spin wave theory is applied in practical research through computer simulations and calculations. It is also used in conjunction with experimental techniques, such as neutron scattering, to study the magnetic properties of materials. It has been successfully applied to a wide range of materials, including ferromagnets, antiferromagnets, and spin glasses.