Block against a wall (friction problem)

• Thread starter 3ephemeralwnd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Block Wall
In summary, the problem involves a 1.0 kg wood block pressed against a vertical wood wall by a 12 N force at a 30 degree angle. The equations for Fnet in the x and y directions are Fn = Fpush(x) = 12cos30 and Fstatic friction + Fpush(y) - Fg = (mu)12cos30 + 12sin30 - 9.8. The solution involves finding the coefficient of static friction for which the direction of the friction force changes from up to down. It is important to note that the friction force acts upwards in this scenario because 9.8 is greater than 12sin30 degrees.
3ephemeralwnd

Homework Statement

A 1.0 kg wood block is pressed against a vertical wood wall by a 12 N force (into the wall, at a 30 degrees angle up from the horizontal). if the block is initially at rest, will it move upward, move downward, or stay at rest?

The attempt at a solution

ive written out the equations for Fnet in the x and y directions;

Fnet(x) = Fn - Fpush(x) , and since Fnet(x) is 0, then Fn = Fpush (x)
so, Fn = Fpush(x) = 12cos30

Fnet(y) = Fstatic friction + Fpush (y) - Fg
= (mu)Fn + 12sin30 - 9.8
and subbing in Fn... i got,
= (mu)12cos30 + 12sin30 - 9.8

but now what? I can't seem to complete the problem without being given the coefficient of static friction.. any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi 3ephemeralwnd! :smile:

(have a mu: µ and a degree: ° :wink:)
3ephemeralwnd said:
(mu)12cos30 + 12sin30 - 9.8

that's right! :smile:

(though you haven't actually explained why the friction acts up and not down :wink:)

strange question :redface: … i guess you now find the value of µ for which the solution changes

oh.. that's true! I guess I just assumed that the block was going to move downwards (therefore static friction is pulling upwards on the block). Why is the friction not downwards?

3ephemeralwnd said:
oh.. that's true! I guess I just assumed that the block was going to move downwards (therefore static friction is pulling upwards on the block).

And yes it is, because 9.8 is greater than 12sin30° …

but you should still say so! :wink:

I would suggest calculating the coefficient of static friction using the given information. The coefficient of static friction is a property of the materials in contact and is not dependent on the applied force. Therefore, you can use the equations you have written to solve for the coefficient of static friction. Once you have that value, you can use it to determine if the block will move upward, downward, or stay at rest. If the coefficient of static friction is greater than the calculated value, the block will stay at rest. If it is less than the calculated value, the block will move upward. If it is equal to the calculated value, the block will move downward. It is important to note that the coefficient of static friction can vary depending on factors such as surface roughness and material properties, so the value you calculate may not be exact, but it will give you an estimate of the block's movement.

Related to Block against a wall (friction problem)

What is a block against a wall friction problem?

A block against a wall friction problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the forces acting on a block when it is pressed against a wall with a certain amount of friction present.

What are the key factors to consider when solving a block against a wall friction problem?

The key factors to consider when solving a block against a wall friction problem include the normal force, frictional force, and the angle of the surface where the block is resting. Other factors may include the mass of the block and the coefficient of friction between the block and the wall.

How do you determine the normal force in a block against a wall friction problem?

The normal force is equal to the weight of the block (mg) multiplied by the cosine of the angle of the surface where the block is resting. This can be calculated using trigonometric functions or by breaking down the forces acting on the block along the x and y axes.

What is the role of friction in a block against a wall friction problem?

Friction is the force that resists the motion of the block along the wall. In a block against a wall friction problem, friction is important because it affects the overall force acting on the block and determines whether the block will remain stationary or start moving.

What are some common examples of real-life situations that can be modeled as a block against a wall friction problem?

Some common examples of real-life situations that can be modeled as a block against a wall friction problem include pushing a heavy piece of furniture against a wall, a person leaning against a wall, or a car parked on a sloped surface.