Exploring K-Space: Homework Equations in Bose Operators

I understand your confusion. Let me explain it to you:In quantum mechanics, the total momentum of a system is given by the sum of the individual momenta of particles in the system. In other words, the total momentum is the sum of the momenta of all the particles in the system.Now, when we consider a system in its ground state, all the particles are in their lowest energy state and have zero momentum. This means that the total momentum of the system is also zero.In your equation, you have two terms with momentum operators: \hat{a}^+_{\vec{k}} and \hat{a}_{\vec{k}}. These operators create and destroy particles with momentum \vec{k}. However, since
Petar Mali

Homework Statement

How this would look in K space

[tex]-\sum_{\vec{n},\vec{m}}I_{\vec{n},\vec{m}}\hat{a}^+_{\vec{n}}\hat{a}_{\vec{n}}\langle \hat{a}^+_{\vec{n}}\hat{b}^+_{\vec{m}}\rangle[/tex]

I need to get

[tex]-\sum_{\vec{k}}\hat{a}^+_{\vec{n}}\hat{a}_{\vec{n}}\frac{1}{N}\sum_{\vec{q}}J(\vec{q})\langle \hat{a}^+_{\vec{q}}\hat{b}^+_{-\vec{q}}\rangle[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\hat{a}, \hat{a}^+,\hat{b},\hat{b}^+[/tex] are Bose operators

[tex]I_{\vec{n},\vec{m}}=\frac{1}{N}\sum_{\vec{k}}J(\vec{k})e^{i\vec{k}(\vec{n}-\vec{m})[/tex]

[tex]\hat{a}^+_{\vec{n}}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{N}}\sum_{\vec{k}}\hat{a}^+_{\vec{k}}e^{-i\vec{k}\cdot\vec{n}}[/tex]

[tex]\hat{a}_{\vec{n}}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{N}}\sum_{\vec{k}}\hat{a}_{\vec{k}}e^{i\vec{k}\cdot\vec{n}}[/tex]

[tex]\hat{b}^+_{\vec{n}}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{N}}\sum_{\vec{k}}\hat{b}^+_{\vec{k}}e^{-i\vec{k}\cdot\vec{n}}[/tex]

[tex]\hat{b}_{\vec{n}}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{N}}\sum_{\vec{k}}\hat{b}_{\vec{k}}e^{i\vec{k}\cdot\vec{n}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Homework Statement

[tex]-\sum_{\vec{n},\vec{m}}I_{\vec{n},\vec{m}}\hat{a}^+_{\vec{n}}\hat{a}_{\vec{n}}\langle \hat{a}^+_{\vec{n}}\hat{b}^+_{\vec{m}}\rangle=-\sum_{\vec{n},\vec{m}}\frac{1}{N^2}\sum_{\vec{k}}J(\vec{k})e^{i\vec{k}(\vec{n}-\vec{m})}\sum_{\vec{k}_1}\hat{a}^+_{\vec{k}_1}e^{-i\vec{k}_1\cdot\vec{n}}\sum_{\vec{k}_2}\hat{a}_{\vec{k}_2}e^{i\vec{k}_2\cdot\vec{n}}\frac{1}{N}\langle\sum_{\vec{k}_3}\hat{a}^+_{\vec{k}_3}e^{-i\vec{k}_3\cdot\vec{n}}\sum_{\vec{k}_4}\hat{b}^+_{\vec{k}_4}e^{-i\vec{k}_4\cdot\vec{n}}\rangle=[/tex]

[tex]=-\frac{1}{N^3}\sum_{\vec{k}}J(\vec{k})\sum_{\vec{k}_1,\vec{k}_2,\vec{k}_3,\vec{k}_4}\hat{a}^+_{\vec{k}_1}\hat{a}_{\vec{k}_2}\langle \hat{a}^+_{\vec{k}_3}\hat{b}^+_{\vec{k}_4}\rangle\sum_{\vec{n}}e^{i\vec{k}\cdot\vec{n}}e^{-i\vec{k}_1\cdot\vec{n}}e^{i\vec{k}_2\cdot\vec{n}}e^{-i\vec{k}_3\cdot\vec{n}}\sum_{\vec{m}}e^{-i\vec{k}\cdot\vec{m}}e^{-i\vec{k}_4\cdot\vec{m}[/tex]

So I get

[tex]=-\frac{1}{N^3}\sum_{\vec{k}}J(\vec{k})\sum_{\vec{k}_1,\vec{k}_2,\vec{k}_3,\vec{k}_4}\hat{a}^+_{\vec{k}_1}\hat{a}_{\vec{k}_2}\langle \hat{a}^+_{\vec{k}_3}\hat{b}^+_{\vec{k}_4}\rangle N\delta_{\vec{k}+\vec{k}_2,\vec{k}_1+\vec{k}_3}N\delta_{\vec{k}_3,-\vec{k}_4}[/tex]

And what now? I didn't get what I need to get!

[tex]=-\frac{1}{N}\sum_{\vec{k}}J(\vec{k})\sum_{\vec{k}_1,\vec{k}_2}\hat{a}^+_{\vec{k}_1}\hat{a}_{\vec{k}_2}\langle \hat{a}_{\vec{k}-\vec{k}_1+\vec{k}_2}\hat{a}_{-\vec{k}}\rangle[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do someone no this? Thanks! Anyone?

Petar Mali said:
I need to get

[tex]-\sum_{\vec{k}}\hat{a}^+_{\vec{n}}\hat{a}_{\vec{n}}\frac{1}{N}\sum_{\vec{q}}J(\vec{q})\langle \hat{a}^+_{\vec{q}}\hat{b}^+_{-\vec{q}}\rangle[/tex]
Why is there still an n as an index?

Mistake. So I need to get

[tex]
-\sum_{\vec{k}}\hat{a}^+_{\vec{k}}\hat{a}_{\vec{k}} \frac{1}{N}\sum_{\vec{q}}J(\vec{q})\langle \hat{a}^+_{\vec{q}}\hat{b}^+_{-\vec{q}}\rangle
[/tex]

I did less work in this field.
But here I give my opinion.

The average of operators is equal to a number, that means the term <a+b+> should be viewed as a number.

Therefore, there are only two operators a+(k1) and a(k2) in the last equation you given: {a+(k1) a(k2) <a+(k-k1+k2) a+(-K)>}. Note that the condition for the conservation of momentum. It is delta(k1,k2) so that k1=-k2.

Finally, you got the desired equation.

PS: Sometimes, if the time dependent operator you are considering, please add the condition for the conservation of energy.

shawl said:
I did less work in this field.
But here I give my opinion.

The average of operators is equal to a number, that means the term <a+b+> should be viewed as a number.

Therefore, there are only two operators a+(k1) and a(k2) in the last equation you given: {a+(k1) a(k2) <a+(k-k1+k2) a+(-K)>}. Note that the condition for the conservation of momentum. It is delta(k1,k2) so that k1=-k2.

Finally, you got the desired equation.

PS: Sometimes, if the time dependent operator you are considering, please add the condition for the conservation of energy.
I'm not sure how to do that?

Can you explain me bold part?

[tex]\langle \hat{a}_{\vec{k}-\vec{k}_1+\vec{k}_2}\hat{a}_{-\vec{k}}\rangle=?[/tex]

Last edited:
When you considered the condition for the conservation of momentum, you will derive k1=-k2.

then the last equation is changed
from {a+(k1) a(k2) <a+(k-k1+k2) a+(-k)>}
to...{a+(k1) a(k1) <a+(k) a+(-k)>}.
That is the formalism you desired.

In generally, double creation and destruction operators should be taken into account for the condensed term in Hamiltonian.

If the condensed system is in its ground state, the total momentum is 0. (sum of all k is zero) Double creation and destruction process do not affect the total momentum which is 0.

Therefore, the double creation and destruction operators is required to have the anti-paralleled momentum, i.e. in your equation <a+(q)a+(-q)>.

The conservation of momentum and for the conservation of energy are both the essential physical condition for our world.

But they are not contained in Hamiltonian in our quantum mechanism which is the formalism of mathematics.

That's why we need add the conditions by hand.

shawl said:
When you considered the condition for the conservation of momentum, you will derive k1=-k2.

then the last equation is changed
from {a+(k1) a(k2) <a+(k-k1+k2) a+(-k)>}
to...{a+(k1) a(k1) <a+(k) a+(-k)>}.
That is the formalism you desired.

In generally, double creation and destruction operators should be taken into account for the condensed term in Hamiltonian.

If the condensed system is in its ground state, the total momentum is 0. (sum of all k is zero) Double creation and destruction process do not affect the total momentum which is 0.

Therefore, the double creation and destruction operators is required to have the anti-paralleled momentum, i.e. in your equation <a+(q)a+(-q)>.

How to see the law conservation of momentum? This, what I wrote, is one of the term od the Hamiltonian. I'm not quite sure how to see this conservation? I how Hamiltonian which I wrote in https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=445228

And term [tex]\hat{H}_4[/tex] I transform in last post in that subject. And this is Fourrier transformation of one of the terms. Can you explain me just how to see this law of conservation of momentum? Maybe in some easier case?

The Hamiltonian accompanied by the conditions of conservation of momentum or energy can be analogous to the differential equation accompanied by the boundary condition or the initial condition.

Yes, In the term H4, it is not easy to understand why we should consider the conservation of momentum. That's because H4 is NOT written in momentum space (k space). But the conservation is still behind the formalism.

For a toy example, Here is a Hamiltonian consists of a pair of operators a+(i) a(j), where i, j can be arbitrary numbers. Behind the Hamiltonian, there is a law of conservation of momentum and energy, which tells us that the created particle must have the same momentum and energy with the destructed one.

Briefly speaking, the law of the conservation of momentum and energy can not be naturally written in the Hamiltonian. We should add it to our equation because it really exists in our world.

It's hard to understand the law when Hamiltonian is not written in k space. Although i, j can be the arbitrary numbers, the energy and momentum of particle i and particle j are related. To derive a realistic result, we should add the law by hand.

All of that is ok but I still don't understand how to calculate [tex]
\langle \hat{a}^+_{\vec{k}-\vec{k}_1+\vec{k}_2}\hat{a}^+_{-\vec{k}}\rangle=?
[/tex]

Can I say just (if I suppose this)

[tex]
\langle \hat{a}^+_{\vec{k}-\vec{k}_1+\vec{k}_2}\hat{a}^+_{-\vec{k}}\rangle=\langle\hat{a}^+_{\vec{k}}\hat{a}^+_{-\vec{k}}\rangle\delta_{\vec{k}_1,\vec{k}_2}
[/tex]?

Then I will have [tex]
-\frac{1}{N}\sum_{\vec{k}}J(\vec{k})\sum_{\vec{k}_1 ,\vec{k}_2}\hat{a}^+_{\vec{k}_1}\hat{a}_{\vec{k}_2 }\langle \hat{a}^+_{\vec{k}-\vec{k}_1+\vec{k}_2}\hat{a}^+_{-\vec{k}}\rangle=-\frac{1}{N}\sum_{\vec{k}}J(\vec{k})\sum_{\vec{k}_1 ,\vec{k}_2}\hat{a}^+_{\vec{k}_1}\hat{a}_{\vec{k}_2 }\langle\hat{a}^+_{\vec{k}}\hat{a}^+_{-\vec{k}}\rangle\delta_{\vec{k}_1,\vec{k}_2}=-\frac{1}{N}\sum_{\vec{k}}J(\vec{k})\sum_{\vec{k}_1 }\hat{a}^+_{\vec{k}_1}\hat{a}_{\vec{k}_1 }\langle\hat{a}^+_{\vec{k}}\hat{a}^+_{-\vec{k}}\rangle
[/tex]

Last edited:
Yes, you are right. That is what i mean

Thanks for helping me!

Related to Exploring K-Space: Homework Equations in Bose Operators

1. What is K-space and why is it important in scientific research?

K-space, also known as momentum space, is a mathematical representation of the momenta of particles in a system. It is important in scientific research because it allows for a more accurate and efficient analysis of physical systems, particularly in quantum mechanics and condensed matter physics.

2. What are Bose operators and how are they used in K-space analysis?

Bose operators are mathematical operators that describe the creation and annihilation of particles in a quantum system. They are used in K-space analysis to represent the momentum states of particles and to perform calculations relating to the system's energy and dynamics.

3. How does exploring K-space help in understanding the behavior of particles in a physical system?

Exploring K-space allows scientists to analyze the momentum states of particles in a system, which can provide valuable insights into the behavior and properties of the system. This can help in understanding the underlying physics and making predictions about the system's behavior.

4. What are some real-world applications of K-space analysis?

K-space analysis has a wide range of applications in various fields of science and technology. It is used in condensed matter physics to study the behavior of materials, in quantum mechanics to analyze the dynamics of particles, and in imaging techniques such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) to create detailed images of biological tissues.

5. Are there any limitations to using K-space analysis?

Like any mathematical model, K-space analysis has its limitations. It is most applicable to systems with a large number of particles and may not accurately represent the behavior of individual particles. Additionally, it does not take into account the effects of external forces or interactions between particles, which may be significant in some systems.

Back