Area moment of inertia of a triangle

In summary: The density would only come into play if you were finding the mass moment of inertia (I) instead of the area moment of inertia (Ix).In summary, to find the moment of inertia WRT to the x-axis (Ix) of a right triangle with base b and height h where the legs of the triangle coincide with the x and y axis, you can use the single integral or double integral method. For the single integral method, the formula is Ix = ∫(1/3)y^3 dx, with limits of integration from x=0 to x=b. For the double integral method, the formula is Ix = ∫∫y^2 dydx, with limits of integration from x=0 to x
andmcg

Homework Statement

What is the moment of inertia WRT to the x-axis (Ix) of a right triangle with base b and height h where the legs of the triangle coincide with the x and y axis?
It would be helpful to know both the single integral and double integral method.

Homework Equations

Ix=int(y^2 dA)
where y is the distance from the y-axis to the centroid of area element dA.

The Attempt at a Solution

I let dA=b dy and y=y so the integral looks like this:

int(y^2*b dy) integrating from 0 to h

I get (1/3)*h^3*b but the answer is (1/12)*h^3*b

I'm pretty sure I'm doing something wrong with dA but I'm not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well consider a small rectangular element of width 'dx' and height 'y'. The moment of inertia of this element about its own center is dIx=(1/12)y3dx.

So the total inertia of the triangle is

Ix= ∫ (1/12)y3 dx.

So now if the triangle starts at the origin and has base length 'b' and height 'h', can you find an expression for 'y'?

rock.freak667 said:
Well consider a small rectangular element of width 'dx' and height 'y'. The moment of inertia of this element about its own center is dIx=(1/12)y3dx.

So the total inertia of the triangle is

Ix= ∫ (1/12)y3 dx.So now if the triangle starts at the origin and has base length 'b' and height 'h', can you find an expression for 'y'?

not sure if this would be the same but

Ix= ∫y2dM = ∫∫y2ρdydx

where ρ is density, so you would integrate over volume... well area in this case

y goes 0 to y=h-x

x goes 0 to b

Liquidxlax said:
not sure if this would be the same but

Ix= ∫y2dM = ∫∫y2ρdydx

where ρ is density, so you would integrate over volume... well area in this case

y goes 0 to y=h-x

x goes 0 to b

Yes that would work as well but since your shape is in 2D and you are finding the area moment it would be like this

Ix = ∫∫A y2 dA = ∫∫ y2 dydx.

You're correct in the x is from x=0 to x=b.

But for the limits for y - if it starts at y=0, it will end at y=(h/b)x.

I should amend by previous post as you wanted the area inertia about the x-axis, for the single integral, for a rectangular element of width 'dx' and height 'h' the moment of inertia about the x-axis is

dIx= (1/3)y3 dx in which the limits are x=0 to x=b, giving the same answer as the double integral way.

Last edited:
rock.freak667 said:
Yes that would work as well but since your shape is in 2D and you are finding the area moment it would be like this

Ix = ∫∫A y2 dA = ∫∫ y2 dydx.

You're correct in the x is from x=0 to x=b.

But for the limits for y - if it starts at y=0, it will end at y=(h/b)x.

I should amend by previous post as you wanted the area inertia about the x-axis, for the single integral, for a rectangular element of width 'dx' and height 'h' the moment of inertia about the x-axis is

dIx= (1/3)y3 dx in which the limits are x=0 to x=b, giving the same answer as the double integral way.

my mistake, I was thinking that b=h for some stupid reason, it would be a centroid right? so the density would cancel out?

Liquidxlax said:
my mistake, I was thinking that b=h for some stupid reason, it would be a centroid right? so the density would cancel out?

No you don't need the density as you already have the 'dA' in it.

Related to Area moment of inertia of a triangle

1. What is the formula for calculating the area moment of inertia of a triangle?

The formula for calculating the area moment of inertia of a triangle is:
I = (b*h^3)/36
where b is the base length of the triangle and h is the height of the triangle.

2. Why is the area moment of inertia important in engineering and physics?

The area moment of inertia is important in engineering and physics because it is a measure of an object's resistance to bending. It is used to determine the strength and stiffness of materials, and is crucial in designing structures that can withstand external forces without breaking or deforming.

3. How does the area moment of inertia change for different types of triangles?

The area moment of inertia varies for different types of triangles. It is directly proportional to the base length and the cube of the height. This means that for a given base length, a triangle with a larger height will have a larger area moment of inertia, and vice versa.

4. Can the area moment of inertia be negative?

No, the area moment of inertia cannot be negative. It is a measure of an object's resistance to bending, so it must always be a positive value.

5. How can the area moment of inertia be used in real-life applications?

The area moment of inertia can be used in various real-life applications, such as designing beams and columns in buildings and bridges, calculating the stability of rotating objects, and determining the strength of materials in manufacturing processes. It is an essential factor in ensuring the safety and efficiency of structures and machines.